RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the motorcycle world, and as with cars I know that dealerships are WAY higher in price. So what is the best places to be buying parts such as spark plugs, brake pads, and oil (although I read an article saying automotive oil is fine...? If so what "weight"?).

·
Registered
795 Posts
I get pads off ebay .. oil from bike shops ,,plugs from car shops .. 10/50 hot months and 10/40 all others ..(bike specific)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get pads off ebay .. oil from bike shops ,,plugs from car shops .. 10/50 hot months and 10/40 all others ..(bike specific)
So the spark plugs are the same as a car, so I could go to Autozone and just get 4 spark plugs of my choice? I feel like such a noob to motorcycles lol. I guess I'll pick up some 10w40 then since it's not hot right now for the oil change.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You have to get the right plug .. take one out and replace with same ... I think I have Denso in now ... Buy a Service manual if you plan on keeping the bike for awhile ....

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Don't use regular car oil in your bike. Use oil that does NOT say "energy conserving" on the SAE circle logo on the back of the bottle. The "energy conserving" stuff is added ingredients that are incompatible with a motorcycle wet clutch. It will work fine in a pinch for a while, then your clutch will start slipping requiring clutch disc replacement.

I've used Mobil 5w50 in my bikes for years ... but it's not energy conserving. The same with heavy duty diesel oils. In general, you are best to use car oil in cars, and bike oil in bikes.

Ebay is a great spot to get parts. Wally Mart for oil and filter.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Josh,

Years ago, asking about what kind of oil to use on this Forum was like asking a member what religion he (or she) belongs to! It was quite funny how people would get all uptight about the pros and cons of synthetic vs conventional oil and bike-specific vs car oil.

With the years, the consensus that has emerged is the one expressed by Craig above. Use motorcycle oil or non-energy conserving automobile oil. As for synthetic vs non-synthetic, the question is becoming irrelevant with the price of synthetic going down all the time... Why bother, just go synthetic!

Happy riding and welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've used Castrol GTX Diesel for years and haven't had any problems. Suits me as I use that oil in all of my engines and its cheaper than motorcycle oil.

What is it about adding the word motorcycle that adds 10% to the price and the word marine that adds 50% to the price.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the posts everyone they helped greatly.

Also since I plan on doing oil change, and plugs, what about seafoam? I've done it in cars, but not a bike (especially a carb engine)? How much is safe to add for oil (and how long should I ride it before oil change?), the same for fuel, and I remember on cars to clean the top end you would "kill" the engine by pouring some in the brake booster line. Can you do the same on a carb setup?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use a tablespoon or so of Seafoam every other tankful in my bikes to keep things clean. The Venture has carbs and the FZ6 is injected. Both do well with it. If it's been a while since your carbs were cleaned or you have no idea when they were last serviced, pouring more in the tank won't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Cobjerry,

Where did you get that oil temperature gauge? I have seen these in Europe and Japan, never in N.America...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Thank you Cobjerry!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts