RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about plenty of people relocating their horn, but I don't think I've read about where you all are putting it (did some searching with no luck). I got rid of my stock horn, which is worthless, and got a decent car horn that's much louder. Problem is I'm not sure where I can put it, naked bikes just don't have a lot of places to hide stuff.

Suggestions/pics of where to put it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
You could order a bracket from the 2006 Z1000 possibly?...

In 2006 (Maybe 2005 as well) the horn was relocated higher up, behind the radiator. Keeps it hidden nicely.

Yours was hanging below right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was thinking about doing this with my '10. It looks like I can mount it right below the headlamp, but I'm open to suggestions!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

In 2006 (Maybe 2005 as well) the horn was relocated higher up, behind the radiator. Keeps it hidden nicely.

Yeah, right in front of the header below the radiator. I'll have to look at putting it behind the rad, I have some brackets I can make.

I was thinking about doing this with my '10. It looks like I can mount it right below the headlamp, but I'm open to suggestions!
Don't do that! I already tried that thinking I was all slick, until I hit a big bump and the forks compressed enough to ram the horn into my front fender that I just painted. :sadpace: I took it off until I could find a better place to mount it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't do that! I already tried that thinking I was all slick, until I hit a big bump and the forks compressed enough to ram the horn into my front fender that I just painted. :sadpace: I took it off until I could find a better place to mount it.
Exactly why I'm asking! Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Horn

Hi Mate, I put my airhorn (115db) in my bellypan and the compresser is in the seat unit, works fine

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Mounted mine close to the headers behind the radiator, if i can find a pic of the job I'll post it up.

·
Registered
241 Posts

+1 on that, I investigated the relocation for 2003 Z's to use the later horn location behind the radiator, it's a cleaner look and should not rust as bad. Not sure but you may have to have a little tab welded or bolted on to do it though. and if you go this route you know you will always be able to reference the stock diagram vs rigging something yourself. whether or not an aftermarket horn will work on there will be pending on what kind of horn you purchase of course.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have heard that some Z 05-06 have "boiled" their horns behind the radiator.:sadpace:
Well that's no good. news to me, i guess i will have to check another guys z and see how long he has had vs how beat up his radiator horn looks. interesting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I haven't had the gas tank off my kwak yet so i don't know where you would fix it under there but every bike I have owned for the last 10 years I have hidden the horn under the tank, you will maybe need to extend the 2 wires to reach but I've never had an issue with any undertank horn yet.

EDIT: I've just reread the first post and realised your wanting to hide a car horn....that you are going to stuggle with to get under the tank..lol but the stock horn will work well there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
horn location

I bought the steibal air horn with the wiring harness for install. First thing I did was seperate the horn from the compressor. I install the compressor under the seat where the tool pouch was located. Went to the local lowes or home depot and got me some clear hose. Upon seperating the compressor from the horn, the horn part has a area that held the compressor, this area slipped right over the front forks and high up by the speedometer, the horn is not very noticeable in this location. I took the clear hose and routed it under the tank and up threw the gages and installed on the horn...this horn is very loud.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts