RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. Trying to figure out the finances to see if I can possibly afford a pair of wheels for my B. Of course, carbon fiber would be a blast and look sick, but I just can't justify spending over $3000 on a pair of wheels. I don't race and do minimal hot rodding around. No, the wheels would be more for cosmetics, but if I could drop 5-10 lb, that would be bonus...especially of rotating weight. I've heard different claims, and they average out to a shared agreement that reducing rotational weight is 4:1 equivalent in its effect on the bikes handling and performance compared to static weight (like an aftermarket ti exhaust), so that reducing wheel weight by four pounds is equivalent to reducing static weight by sixteen pounds.
Whatever. I'm more interested in the beautiful fit and finish of certain wheels - those gold colored Marchesini wheels are gorgeous...but I'd like to spend closer to $1000 than $3000
Are wheels sold specifically by bike model?
Anyone here gone the aftermarket wheel route? Can you elaborate a bit?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I always liked Bandits and when I had my first bike it was a bike new on the market that I really considered as something I could possibly afford with good performance and style.

Since you're not really looking to improve performance I say get your wheels refinished/anodized a color you'd like. It won't be cheap I'm sure a few hundred bucks. Or you could buy a 2nd set of rims off Ebay and have them done. Heck you could even do a plastidip just to get a change that would last a while.

If you really are looking to increase the bike's performance wheels would probably help in the slightest since. IMO you'd be better off putting that money on a different bike if you want faster/better handling and that sort of thing. If you really want to throw around a brand name to people, well I guess you'll just have to drop money on Marcheseinis or something.

My guess is you'll have a difficult time finding rims specifically made for Bandits. Most likely you'll have to look for cross compatible rims or ways to adapt another model to your bike. For example a popular mod for Gen 1 zx-14's is using zx-10 wheels because their a few lbs lighter. It's not a straight out swap, but mixing and matching some parts allows this. Most likely this is the route you'd have to take.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts