RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought my BT020's over the weekend, and eventually I'm going to install them (hopefully sooner that later, given the condition of my stockers).

I was wondering if I should do a wheel bearing service on them while I have the wheels off. The bikes got just a tick under 6000 miles and was bought in July new. I don't have a factory service manual, so I don't know what the interval is for servicing them. I figure it will only take me another 15 minutes per wheel, so why not?

However, I wanted to do the tires this week, and to do the bearings, I'm going to need a new set of bearing seals, and don't feel like ordering and waiting for them.

Can I leave the service till the next tire change ya think?

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I have over 16000 on my wheel bearings and there's no slop. When I changed my rear tire I flipped the rear sprocket over and put a couple finger loads of bearing grease in there along with giving the axle a good thin coat. Don't forget to "pump" your brakes after you get the rear wheel back on to recharge the brake line and reset the brake pads. I kinda forgot, luckily my sister has a long driveway :rolleyes:

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Well, I just read the manual since you raised the question of service interval. The rear bearings are sealed. It says since they have such a close tolerance, you have to check them by feel. So if they don't spin easily or are noisey, then it says to replace them. It also says to replace them if the seal is torn or leaks. The book also says NOT to take them out to check them. If you take them out, then you have to replace them with new ones. So the grease I put in was probably not necessary except to make the axle slide back in easier. And looking closer at the breakdown in the book, I would recommend a thin layer of grease only to make the axle slide easier.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll probably skip it. I had figured that only 6000 miles isn't that much. Plus, I'll be doing my tires during lunch time (one end each day I guess), so I wouldn't have too much extra time anyway!

Emrah

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I checked my receipts.. $28 aussie a pair. ( usd14 )

Mine were pretty grotty after a winter of daily riding, so I just replaced them when I got the chain/sprockets/wheels done.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts