RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice,

My rear wheel is showing some uneven wear on the right hand side.

I decided to run string lines between the rear and front wheels on both sides, the right hand side is a little difficult as the muffler and side stand get in the way ( it can be done)......... I used fishing line instead of a string line.

I was able to line up the wheels ie the line just touchin on the rear tyre and equal gaps at the front tyres.

However the gaps on the left side were appox 1/2 inch (12mm) and the gaps on the right side were approx 2 inches (51mm ) ie the wheels are both running in the same direction, however the front wheel is offset to the right by approx 1 1/2inches (39mm)

Can anybody explain the reason the front wheel maybe offset

I appreciate any replies

Graeme Gould at Byron Bay the most Easterly part of Australia

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
GG..................... heres some good reading. http://pub22.ezboard.com/fthezr7garageonthewebmaintenance.showMessage?topicID=172.topic
I personally think it has to do with those lineup brackets at the back wheel. If you notice the one on the brake side fits snuggly on the wheel bolt. But the one on the gear side has play in it from where the threads were cut on the bolt. Almost a 1/8 inch play to either side . So if you were using those marks and had the gear side bracket shifted to one side or the other .....then you could be off a good deal. I stringed mybike last summer to make sure the alignment was right. Don't forget to plumb the bike when it's on the centerstand. You can use pocket change to shim the legs on the centerstand and a level on your wheels. Then you can string your tires ......I found if you remove your sidestand you can string higher on the tires

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Graeme,

I just use the adjustment marks. However, just to verify it is straight, I got a tape measure and measured between the front swingarm bolt cover (outer edge) and the middle of the rear axle bolt. It was perfect.

Your uneven tire wear is most likely cupping. Both of my tires front and rear and both sides are showing this cupping. I only have 2,800 miles on them.

Causes for cupping, low tire pressure, hard riding, and tire design.

Andy

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought Graeme was saying he's got a very different problem. Both wheels are at perfectly in-line with the centre line of the frame, but they are not both ON the centre-line. One wheel, at least, is on a separate line parallel to the centre line. If I'm right, that's a weird problem. Could it be due to a spacer being absent or fitted on the wrong side?

:?

If I've misunderstood, I apologise :eek:

If it's just the well-known problem of the alignment brackets flexing as you tighten them and so giving an incorrect reading, I can recommend the following tool from Motion Pro

Chain Alignment Tool
Designed for quick and accurate alignment, this tool clamps squarely to the rear sprocket so the alignment rod can indicate sprocket alignment. Made in the U.S.A.
08-0048: $26.30

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is correct, both wheels are in allignment with the centre line, however the front wheel is offset. That is a good tip to check the spacers on each axle.

Some good thougthts guys.

Graeme Gould at Byron Bay the most easterly part of Australia

·
Registered
988 Posts
Re tyre pressure, I know this topic has been well and truly covered previously, but I checked my pressures after a month the other day, and the rear was reading 29 PSI.

Seems like weekly checks would not go astray.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad to have been of some help, Graeme. :)

Let us know what the cause was when you find out. Problems like these have a habit of cropping up again...

Malc

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
All the above mentioned items will cause a wear problem. If the wheels are in line with each other, and you're getting uneven wear on the rear, then I would look at the chain adjusters. It's an easy fix and is easy to get wrong in the first place. Does it turn easier to the right than it does to the left? If so, try the adjusters first.

If that doesn't do it, make a straight chaulk line on the ground that's longer than the wheel base of the bike. Park the bike directly on top of the line. This will give you a "visual" of how the centers of the tires line up with the center of the bike. The centers of the tires and the steering head should all line up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts