RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that KLR600 I mentioned a few weeks ago sold by the time I gave the guy a call. He sold it just a few days after I had requested pictures of the bike by E-mail.

So, I'm considering something else. Bare in mind here that I am still dying for that Daytona, and that I plan on buying the thing the second someone will finance me for it. However, I really don't want that to be my only source of two-wheeled transportation. I would love to keep the ZR-7 in addition to the 955i, but that might be too much money tied up in motorcycles. So, I'm thinking of buying a smaller bike, still new, to replace the ZR-7 as my daily commuter. It will serve as my to-work-and-back driver and a learning tool for my girlfriend. It's cheap to insure, and it's cheap to run and maintain.

Here, have a look. Click HERE.

I know, she's a tiny lil thing and I'm sure all the other sportbikers will make fun of me, but it's a practical idea. Even at my age, this bike will only cost about $500 a year to fully insure. That way I could just insure the Daytona for summer's three month's, still have a bike to ride year-round, and be able to save some money. Ninja 250 owners I've talked to say the bike will still comfortably maintain speeds in excess of 80 mph, so expressway riding shouldn't be a problem. They get up to 70 mpg, and because they only weigh 300 pounds, they handle superbly through tight curves. A few guys I've met even race stock 250's successfully against larger 600's and liter class bikes on smaller, tighter turned tracks.

My ZR-7 has been for sale for a little over a month, but I don't expect it to sell this time of year. Come spring, demand will pick up with the coming of the new riding season. Still, if anyone's interested in my ZR, please drop me an E-mail at [email protected].

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
There's alot of fun. If I could talk my wife into riding I'd like to start her out with either an EX250 or EX500. I think I would lean more toward the 500, but I would not pass up an opportunity if the price was right. My dad had a 125 as a daily commuter for quite a few years and he had no complaints. He didn't have any freeway, but he did have a couple long 55mph streatches. I think if you were going for aftermarket mods, you would probably find alot for the EX250. Plus it would be a good bike for her to get through the MSF course with. Just think how you could sling it through the turns. I (personally) would still hang onto my ZR. You can never have too many motorcycles, especially when the arsenal includes a good all around daily rider and workhorse like the ZR.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martin, I couldn't agree more, I would love to hang onto the ZR-7. It's just about the perfect commuting motorcycle. Decent power, comfortable riding position, and pretty good mileage, not to mention plenty nimble to navigate all sorts of traffic. However, my need for speed succeeds all that, and to afford the Daytona and another bike, I'd have to find a cheaper replacement for the ZR. :( Hence, the multi-purpose Ninja 250R.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
That's cool. Have you given any thought to the EX500 as another option? Bang for Buck they're a good low budget alternative. The weight is a little more than the 250 but so is the power, and insurance is inexpensive. I see them now and again for around $2000 or less. Some people buy them to learn on and then "grow out" of them. But, the more I think about the 250, it would be a real "Hoot!". Hmmm........:)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, yes, I have certainly considered the 500R, too. In fact, I came very close to buying a 1987 EX500 with 8900 miles on it just a few weeks ago, the guy was asking $1200. It was old, yes, but it was in immaculate shape. The body panels looked brand new.

However, I decided that a 14-15 year old bike was a little too old, regardless. This 250 will end up costing me about $2500 when all is said and done, and it only has 443 miles and I get some leftover warranty on it. Try finding a 2000 EX500 with less than 500 miles on the clock for less than four grand. That's one big reason this 250 is so appealing. I'll be getting a pretty much brand new bike for well under $3000, and the insurance is less than the 500, too.

Plus, I've just gotten all psyched about how fun slinging a little 300 pound bike around my local curves is going to be. Can you say, "intense entry speed"? :eek:

·
Registered
499 Posts
EX250

Triple,
I have a nephew, a large nephew, that had one of those. He rode it for nearly two years in everything except snow. He took 400 mile round trips on it to Chicago from his home in Iowa. Rode it to school, to work and everywhere between. He loved that thing but finally traded up when his finances allowed the move.
That bike was his only transportation for a long time. He said he got more than his money out of it but it had become too small for his riding style.
I think it would be a great machine for anyone. No, I don't own one, I'm just passing on some info.
BTW, my nephew is 6'4", 240lbs and now rides a 900SS Duc.
Later

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Triple.

13-14 yrs old is no big thing. If you notice the model EX250F13, The F13 designates 13 years in production. No significant changes except BNG, bold new graphics. Ruby traded a EX250 in on the ZR7, It was a nice bike, even put a full 2 into 1 Muzzy and a jet kit in it. Be forewarned, a pipe on one of these is LOUD! even with the "quiet baffel" installed at Muzzy's for $50 + shipping, ouch. 70 mpg is possible and so is an "indicated 105 MPH, prolly more like 85-90 though. Big fun around town with that 14K redline but kinda anemic on the highway. Wouldn't want it as a daily interstate commuter, just not enough power to "get outta the way" at anything over 50 mph,(passing sux). Look into the ex500, big track following with these babies. There are websites. One thing with the 500 is when they tip over the turn signal pushed a hole into the fairing(expensive) so if you do pick one up, put some aftermarket flush mount signals on and get rid of the stem type stockers. FWIW.

I'll look for a pic of the old 250.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts