RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the early/mid 70's there was a movie/documentary about a guy that did some kind of cross county/continental race against the clock on a Honda CB 750 (or maybe it was a 550?). I've only seen it once when I was a kid and have not come across it since. What is the name of the movie/documentary ?? :?

·
Registered
988 Posts
No idea, but I've just seen the first installment of "Lord of the Rings", being "The Fellowship of the Ring" and it was 3 hours of pure entertaining fabulous fantasy. Seemed like it was the normal 1 1/2 hours, it went so fast.

If you see this movie (and you should - see it with your wife/girlfriend/hubby/whatever) and if you don't immediately want to pack your bags and go and visit NZ, then you're nuts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There was an old show called Then Came Bronson. Some guy toured around like a rolling stone, having different adventures all over the United States. I don't think it was ever a movie though. Someone at work tells me there's an old motorcycle movie called On Any Sunday. He says it's about the different types of riding, and that it's really good. I'm going to check it out.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"On Any Sunday" is pretty cool and the one I'm tryingto find is kinda along the same lines and in the same era or a year or 2 later.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
girlzr7 said:
There was an old show called Then Came Bronson. Some guy toured around like a rolling stone, having different adventures all over the United States. I don't think it was ever a movie though. Someone at work tells me there's an old motorcycle movie called On Any Sunday. He says it's about the different types of riding, and that it's really good. I'm going to check it out.
Then Came Bronson...this was the show I asked everybody about when speaking of H-D Sportys several posts back. I found out a little more since. The show aired on TV from 1969-1970, starred Michael Parks and he rode a '69 Sportster 883 all over creation with a sleeping bag on his handle bars and other gear over rear fender. I was 13 when the show premiered (same year as the Peter Fonda movie "EasyRider") so I was an impressionable little motocrosser at that time. Tom :)
oh, and when the guy wasn't wearing his open face helmet, he had on a black tobaggan on his head and a cigarette dangling from his lips (almost as cool as James Dean).

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I searched IMDB but nothing specific about a cross country ride.

There was something called Motorcycle Experience (1976) but not much info about it.

Z

·
0 Posts
"Then Came Bronson"....gawd I loved that show when I was a kid..:D ...I didn't remember the name until ya'll brought it up...wouldn't it be great if Speedvision put it on the air late at night? :cool: Maybe we could start a letter writing campaign and get them to bring it back?? I'd have my VCR ready in a flash....hehehehe....where or where have all the good TV shows gone??:?

Ride Safe!

Pete S.
:cool:

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Bronson............
In the early 70's, a long time ago, when motorcycle frames were still made of wood. A classic series started on NBC called "Then Came Bronson", and each week the opening credits always started the same way...

A motorcyclist, Jim Bronson (Michael Parks) comes to a stop at a red stop light and strikes up a conversation with a guy in a station wagon stopped next to him. The driver looks Parks up and down and says, "Hey... taking a trip?" Bronson (Parks) over the thumping Harley exhaust, looks towards the driver and replies, "What's that?" the guy repeats the question, "Taking a trip?" Bronson: "Yeah."
Guy: "Where to?"
Bronson: "Oh, I don't know, wherever I end up, I guess."
Guy: "Pal, I wish I was you."
Bronson, "Really?"
Guy, with miserable look on his face: "Yeah."
Bronson: "Well, hang in there."

The guy nods glumly, the light changes, Bronson rides off and every week saves the world. Then Came Bronson was a classic series for classic reasons. For you youngsters out there, he really was a one man A-Team, but instead of you finding him, he found you. Instead of a clapped out, blacked out, Chevy Caravan, he rode a do-it-all motorcycle that was part dirt racer, part street racer. It was a bike that always seemed to have the right tire for the right job.

·
Registered
988 Posts
There was an Australian movie made in the 70's called 'Stone'. It starred Ken Shorter as Stone, a cop sent to investigate a series of violent murders in a motorcycle gang (eg. decapitation by wire stretched across the road). Stone also starred Helen Morse as Amanda, his high society girlfriend.

Stone has the distinction of being one of the very few Australian films to assume cult status.

In December 1998, 30,000 motocyclists rode the Sydney-Newcastle freeway to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Sandy Harbutt's film. At the time of its release it was largely rejected by the critics and dismissed by the newly emerging film establishment. Yet it proved to be critic-proof at the box office.

Apparently the film played a role in the formation of the Vietnam Veterans Motorcycle Club here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have any of y'all read Jupiter's Travels? I just read about this book on the internet. This author took a round-the-globe trek on a motorcycle. This may be the documentary you are looking for Martin! It's supposedly a cross between Then Came Bronson and Zen and The Art of the Motorcycle Maintenance. This guy, Ted Simon, is about to take a second trip on a BMW R80 GS. The last trip was 25 years ago. TB

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Thanks Al, now that you summarized Bronson, it all came back to me, what a show that was! One of my all time favorites -- like I said I was an impressionable 13 year old when the show aired. Tom :D

Z

·
0 Posts
there just aren't any good bike movies anymore..:( ...now all we see are cops, crooks, lawyers(crooks?)...hehehe...just kidding....and girlie movies/TV shows....how about a movie/show were good overcomes evil, no overdone violence, and no nudity, a show that the whole family could watch? :eek: oh my gawd! That would be moral! and too nice! The hollywood moguls would have us believe that it wouldn't be watched....oh well, I guess I'll just have to dream....:?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts