RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at one of the Joe Rocket jackets, I think it was the hard drive jacket. I want something that can be worn pretty much all year round and something that will definately keep me warm in the cold. I usually don't ride below 40 degrees unless it is to just take the bike out to run it for a mile or two during winter storage.

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
I love my TourMaster Cortech Sport jacket George. It has a removable insulated liner for cold weather, and quite a few vents for warmer weather. I'd give it a range of 20 degrees - 90 degrees. If it's warmer than 90 (and in Omaha, that equates to a heat index of 190 with the humidity!), I go with the BroshTex summer jacket.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got the First Gear Kenya jacket and will be riding all week. It has removable liner for winter and summer riding. We are expecting 67 on Monday and high 40's the rest of the week so I'll let you know how it performs in the cold. It has plenty of vents for the summer and First Gear claims it is waterproof. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Cortech Jacket from Tour Master that seems to do fairly well in all types of weather, though it is not water proof. If I were you though, and had the money I would buy an Aerostitch riding suit. My father and grandfather both have these suits and they like them more than any other suits they have owned. They are supposed to be water proof, but seem to need to be scotchgarded before they truly are. The nice thing is you can just throw them on over any type of clothes, even a nice suit or tuxedo if need be, as the suit is designed to be worn over regular clothes. The price tag is the only problem, but if you have the money for it that is what I would go for.

·
3,610 Posts
Jacket

I have a Joe Rocket Atomic jacket. Since I live in Florida, there is no such thing as "Seasons" You ride 365 days a year. It has a zip out inner lining that I suppose is meant to keep you warm. And it has built in body armor which makes me feel safe. I use it primarily for the wind and in winter for the wind chill. Coldest we get is the low 50's maybe high 40's.
-Stan

·
Registered
374 Posts
I run a Heine-Garricke CyberSport year round.

It has vent panels that open and a zip-out liner. It also has all the padding and accessoroes for hooking into gloves and riding pants. It works pretty well but the really hot days are sometime pretty sweaty (I'm a naturally sweaty guy), but overall it works pretty well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I just went through that whole all-in-one-jacket situation. Ended up with a "Marsee Force Four Ballistics" Jacket. I tried on over 20 different jackets (all textile type) and researched extensively on the web.
My criteria were:
1. Crash protection. I want the strongest textile and armor.
2. Visibility (bright color and reflective so others see me).
3. Waterproof, but lots of airflow for hot days.
4. Wide temperature range (30's with wind-chill to hot humid 90's).

The Marsee met 1,2, and part of 3. 3(waterproof) and 4 have been addressed by buying an Aerostich TL-TEC jacket (liner).

My final top choices were down to these:
-Aerostich Darien, Couldn't find one to try on.
-Cycleport/Motoport Ultra II and GP-2, Couldn't find one to try on.
-Vanson Night Falcon, Couldn't find one to try on.
-Teknic Hurricane (really like the fit of the 2001, but the 2002 won't be out for another month). Didn't have much in the reflective department on either version.

What I learned from trying on 20+ styles of jackets: My particular shoulder width sucks, I was in-between a L and XL. The L size fit everywhere but the shoulders, the XL was always just too bulky on me but fit in the shoulders. This is why I didn't just order a Darien, Cycleport/Motoport, or Vanson. The Marsee and Teknic come in incremental size, not S,M,L,XL, etc.

I have a particular requirement that it must have reflective material or I'm "required to where a reflective garment at night". I hate those damn vests! Marsee is VERY REFLECTIVE at night.

The Marsee's ONLY drawback, it's not waterproof. I believe the Vanson and Cycleport/Motoport jackets are’t either and use a liner that is. Thus, the "Aerostich TL-TEC Shearling Fleece" jacket (use as a liner) fixes that. It also takes the usability down into the lower temp range. Marsee has good venting that WORKS and the CE approved armor is awesome.

Of the final choices the Vanson and Teknic were made out of the lighter versions of fabric (500 denier).

I'd recommend as a starting point, check out this site: Motorcycle Gear review. http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/ Not everything is there, but it's a start.

Final note: the Marsee is designed (per the manufacturer) for temps of 55-95F. They also make a killer vest you can use for real hot days. I've tried it on, but as it's winter, I will buy it next summer if needed (maybe). Or I'll just get Motorport's Body guard Jacket. That thing was cool. Great armor protection, if I could have found their jackets to try on, and they fit, they would be my first choice. Did I say great armor protection already. You can even have reflective material added custom if you want.

Am I happy with the Marsee? Yes, it's a solid jacket and I feel well protected wearing it. Very few textile jackets I tried I could say that about. Even the Teknic didn't feel very protective after trying on the Marsee.

Make sure you sit down on a bike that matches our ZR-7(S) riding position when you try on jackets, I almost went a size bigger and would have regretted it.

Pete

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
I got a Bellstaff jacket over a year ago and I love it. It has a liner that can be removed, and it has vents in the back. It is waterproof, so no raingear needed there. It's very comfortable and I can wear it even when it hits 95 or 100 around here. Of course, I did buy a lighter jacket for when it is REALLY hot, but this jacket is great....in winter....keeps me really warm while I'm riding. I haven't gotten the pants that go with it, but I think I will pretty soon. They zip into the jacket (I know most companies do this now).

Anyway.....my vote is for the Bellstaff!!

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Hey Twyla, do you have a link for Bellstaff?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought a Joe Rocket Ballistic 3.0 jacket this morning. Retail is $239 but I got it for $219 OTD. I haven't used it yet but it sure feels nice.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I tried on several. Joe Rocket jackets just seemed too loose, concerning the padding and liners, etc. I tried on a Tour Master Cortech 3/4 length jacket and it fit perfectly. I'm 6'2"/230lbs. I'll see if I can find somewhere to beat the dealer price of $289.00; any suggestions??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts