RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some new shoes for my 02 Meanstreak. What is a good brand or should I stick with stock? Also what size for the rear? will a little wider tire fit? I have a Dunlop sportmax D220 in size 170/60R-17 now on the rear and I hate that tire! When you lean it rumbles and gives a buzzing feeling through the bike. I know its because its worn funny...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Avon Storms seem to be the tire of choice of most of the guys if price isn't too much of an issue. You can go to a 180 comfortably but you should go to a 120 up front to maintain the handling characteristics of the bike. Do a forum search on tires and you should find plenty of threads on the subject.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just put a set of Avon Storm Ultra 2's on. I kept the stock sizes (front and rear). I also HATED the stock Dunlop that came on the rear. Very noisy and it had some weird wear on it.
The new Avon's are awesome!!! I've only got a couple hundred miles on them so far, but so far they are 100 times better than the Dunlops. They're quite, they track straight, ride nice, and they are superb in the corners.
Avon Storm Ultra 2's highly recommended!!!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Running Metz 880s on the front and back of mine. Over 1500 miles on the front (new) and about 6500 on the rear (got a flat on stock) so far and they feel quite nice - easier to lean into on the corners, much quieter, and haven't had any problems with 'em.

The issue when you lean is most likely cupping. I had that with my front stocker at the end of its life. Make sure to keep the new tires properly inflated to avoid that in the future! With the weather here in PA lately, having lows in the 30s and some days up into the 70s, it's causing the air in mine to fluctuate quite a bit. I have to keep an eye on it every day just to make sure they're inflated right. Tires are too expensive to be wasting 'em! :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I need to get some new shoes for my 02 Meanstreak. What is a good brand or should I stick with stock? Also what size for the rear? will a little wider tire fit? I have a Dunlop sportmax D220 in size 170/60R-17 now on the rear and I hate that tire! When you lean it rumbles and gives a buzzing feeling through the bike. I know its because its worn funny...
I have Avon Cobra 200 at rear and Avon Storm 130 in front. No problem at all to fit the 200 and I don't feel any diff in the handling either.
I have over 7000 miles on them now and they're far from finished, and that's totally ok for mc tires I think.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me ask this... I just found a reciept for a new front dunlop tire I did'nt even know it was replaced, i thought it looked too good for the amount of wear on the rear. Based on the milage for the new front it has 594 miles on it and I put about 400 of those! Would I have to replace the front to match if I get a Avon for the rear since the front is so new?? Or should they be matching?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm running Avon Storms on mine. 180 in the rear and I went to a 130 on the front. I'll stay with the 180 in the rear next time but the front will be a 120. The 130 makes the bike a little sluggish in tight turns, stable, but sluggish. Also, I have a reaper front fender and the clearance is pretty tight with the 130. Maybe only 1/8" in some spots and little road stones that get picked up by the tire make a hell of a noise.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm running an Avon 180 Storm on the rear and Shinko 120 005 Advance on the front. The rear is new this year and I like the tire so far, but only about 1000kms on it. The Shinko on the front has 4000kms and still looks excellent, no abnormal wear. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Avon Storms (ST) front and rear in stock sizes. I've put a 1000 mi. on em since I bought last month, they eat up the twisties and ride smooth at speed on the straights. I tend to be a bit aggressive though and got 6300 out of the rear OEM (2300 mi. my riding). I hope to get 6300 to 7500 out of the Avon rear. We'll see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i have a 2007 Mean Streak with stock tires, need a good replacement rear tire, this will work for my bike.

200/55R-17 Michelin Commander II Radial Rear Tire?

I think i will for the front Stock size same brand,

thank you

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Hi i have a 2007 Mean Streak with stock tires, need a good replacement rear tire, this will work for my bike.

200/55R-17 Michelin Commander II Radial Rear Tire?

I think i will for the front Stock size same brand,

thank you
It will work okay...except you may have to drop the driveline to mount it. Either that...or be ready to wrestle the heck out of it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just put a bridgestone exedra max stock size on the front. I have a Shinko it is not stock. It's a larger tire can't recall the size. It came on the bike when I bought it, so when I have to replace it I will be going back with stock size. The bridgestone is ok I don't have a lot to compare it with. I think when I have to replace the rear I am buying a seat of Metzlers.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I just put a bridgestone exedra max stock size on the front. I have a Shinko it is not stock. It's a larger tire can't recall the size. It came on the bike when I bought it, so when I have to replace it I will be going back with stock size. The bridgestone is ok I don't have a lot to compare it with. I think when I have to replace the rear I am buying a seat of Metzlers.
I didnt get much mileage out of the Excedra Max's. Good Luck...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personal opinion...Bridgestones are some of the worst tires available for the money!
What do you base that on? Comfort, handling or life of the tire. I can't say I am overly impressed but it is better than the 120/70/17 Dunlop on the bike when I bought it. And I don't have any other comparison.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
A number of different factors. Mainly tread life and handling. Decades of poor quality and various defects and handling issues I have seen from the brand have made me lose faith in them. I would rather pay out of pocket for Michelins, Avons, or Metzlers..than run a set of free Bridgestones!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Avon Cobra 200 at rear and Avon Storm 130 in front. No problem at all to fit the 200 and I don't feel any diff in the handling either.
I have over 7000 miles on them now and they're far from finished, and that's totally ok for mc tires I think.
Just wondering is that on the stock rim?? The 200?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts