Votes: 3 9.4%
  • T1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
I voted DSL - no idea really but it's 128K at work (shhhhh).

I'm about to get cable at home.

What's T1 ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dial-up can only be up to 56kB/s (I believe the actual real-world limit is somewhere around 53kB/s). T1 is a trunk line directly to the internet that operates anywhere from 64kB/s up to 1.55mB/s(read: expensive). DSL can be anything up to the same speed as T1, it just has to pass through the phone company's system before getting to the destination. Cable modem's are good if you don't have many neighbors. Cable modems are set up in "pods" or hubs. The more people using the same pod slow the connection. I have a friend that swore that cable modems were the best thing since sliced bread until a subdivision was built next to him. Now he hates it because if he uses the dial-up modem, his connection is faster.

Sorry if some of these figures are off. It's been a while.

Tyler

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
dial up for now :( i used to have cable until i moved. at my new place i wanted cable but i need to buy the modem. the cost of the modem and install is around $400. that's way too much considering that i'm not going to be here more than a year or two. be movin' again soon hopefully and then i'll get cable again.

scott

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hope you don't have those in order of speed. Otherwise you need to reverse cable and DSL. :)

As far as cable modems goes, as long as the system you are connecting to supports DOCSIS modems you can get them for around $149.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Mine's a wire that comes out of the back of the thing and goes into the wall. :(

I guess it's a dial-up, since it's a phone line and it's not cable. Don't know what DSL and T1 are. We're sort of backwards here in Virginia. Gotta go to the outhouse now. Where's that elbow grease?

Kelly:)

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Same here Kelly, 'cept we Tarheels now have indoor plumbing, well most of us. ;) :rolleyes: :laugh:

Seriously though, I'm looking at cable modem but the cost ($50 per month) keeps me hooked into the dial up crap @ 24K with a 56K modem. It rather "sucks."

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kelly said:
Mine's a wire that comes out of the back of the thing and goes into the wall. :(

I guess it's a dial-up, since it's a phone line and it's not cable. Don't know what DSL and T1 are. We're sort of backwards here in Virginia. Gotta go to the outhouse now. Where's that elbow grease?

Kelly:)
Outhouse? Is that where the servers are kept?

Andy

·
9,816 Posts
Andy Bajka said:

Outhouse? Is that where the servers are kept?

Andy
No Andy, here in the South (esp. during the summer, that's where the "snakes" are kept.) Crapper beware. Tom :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
No silly. The servers have their own quarters. I just keep water hammers and left handed smoke shifters in mine, along with the elbow grease. :laugh:

But seriously, I agree with Tom on the cable modem. I'll wait till the price comes down. Is the cable line a dedicated line or does it share the TV signal line?

kelly

·
9,816 Posts
Kelly, do you have Time-Warner Cable in Virginia? If so, check with the local cable company for more info. It is a shared hook up with your TV and you may need a cable splitter for certain rooms in your home, but it's always on and does not affect your phone, so you can surf the net and talk on the phone at the same time. Tom

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Tom- It's Cox cable in this area. And you're right, if I was really serious about it I could do a little research. As for the phone line, I downloaded Callwave which is a free internet answering machine, so at least I'm not missing important calls. And having the dial-up keeps my 16-year old daughter off the phone while I'm hogging the PC. :rolleyes:

kelly

·
9,816 Posts
he he, has your daughter asked for a cell phone so she can talk while your'e on the 'net? I had to get one for the wife when our daughter was expecting our 1st grandkid who is now 4 months old. You can't win, man! So maybe if I get cable modem I can get rid of the cell phone....probably not, it's an attachment to her purse now. Oh well.... Tom ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok you asked for it.........

Dial Up..... You go through your phone. initial connection speed at 52-53k/Sec. you can only achive 56k/sec while trnasfering files through v.90 compression standard.

DSL/Cable..... contrary to commericial propoganda, both of these connections are SHARED rescources. (Actually any network is a shared rescourse, that is the whole purpose of a network.) They both go through a central hub (sometimes known as ATM's/TAS).

- DSL: Limited to distance away from the phone company's hub. theoretical speeds up to 1.5 Mb/sec, but again this is limited by how far away you are from the phone company. (not not as many people have DSL, remember this)

- Cable: Is just what it says, uses part of the frequency band, to transmit internet traffic. It is not limited by distance from the cable company. However, MORE PEOPLE subscribe to cable than DSL. Also since it is using a portion of the bandwith that you HBO is coming over, that bandwith can bleed over and cause packet loss (this is especially true if you have digital cable.) Cable also has theoretical Bandwith up to 1.5 MB (even more if using the new DOCSIS standard, but not many companies have this implimented)

T1/3 (OC/DS 1/3, 27, 43, etc etc) are Internet backbone connections. I doubt very many people have these at home as they are VERY expensive to install, and service for just a T1 (with server support) averages from $600 - $2000 a month. You may have one a work though......

The easiest way to think of all these connections is plumbing.... 56k is the copper line that connects to your water fountain, Cable/DSL your garden hose, and T/OC/DS is the sewer under the street.

By they way.........

I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek:

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
From one fighting man to another....you really know your adversary! :laugh:

·
Registered
988 Posts
In testing my new cable connection (courtesy Optus/Singtel) the fastest download speed I have achieved so far is around 580kps, but normally it's 300-400. With my old dial-up I could get around 4kps.

The connection across the Pacific is sometimes a problem for us ... access to US sites sometimes run a little slowly as a result.

Cost was $Aus199 installation (because we already included Optus cable TV) and $Aus65 per month.

·
Registered
164 Posts
funny how there seems to be a lot of computer people in motorcycling.

someone brought up doing IT work on sportbikes.net and about 30 guys popped in and said ME TOO to being in IT, computers, etc.

I recently got out of IT and now i am designing processor modules for the military.

Its nice cause you don't have to deal with as many stupid people. But I miss being Mr. Fix It when it came network issues.

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
My cable is much faster than my neighbors DSL. I use Roadrunner and I love it. I live in a large "yuppie" subdivision, but the traffic hasn't bothered us a bit. At work, I'm on a T1 line, of course, I'd never login and do personal stuff on company time!!
;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts