RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of mileage are people getting from their new 2017 Ninjas? Today my fuel gauge started flashing at 260km - I'm paranoid once that happens so I rolled into the petrol station and brimmed the tank with 10.7L of fuel after doing 276km (171.5 miles) with a good mix of city, highway and country roads, so that's roughly 3.9L/100km (~60mpg US).

According to Kawasaki specs the 2017 has a 15L tank - there should have been over 4L of fuel left - or another 100km of range. The digital dash range was saying 80km (50 miles) left so not far off I guess. Next time I'll see if I can roll out 320km (200 miles) from the tank. I don't ride super hard, that little "economy riding" light is usually on. But I also don't like to push my luck too much, this is my first bike without a reserve switch and my last one had a monster 22L tank! Haha!

How far have you gotten from a tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do mostly city riding and very rarely long highway rides. I get 50Mpg(21.3kmpl) almost every time I refuel. I dedicated “Trip 2” in Odo just to see how mileage is. I’ve got 40mpg a month ago. I changed the exhaust with a yoshimura alpha and surprisingly it gave me 50mpg every time since then.
Because of the exhaust sound, I rev it hard and I can’t expect more mileage considering the fact that I am always in traffic.
I usually refuel when the range is 20miles(32km approx) and “Trip 2” odo reads 175miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
If there is a fuel gauge that is accurate I have yet to experience. I go by miles ridden and fuel consumed and adjust accordingly. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't kept track of how many KM to a tank yet, but I did have my gauge start flashing once when the range said about 150km to empty. Next tank I'll track the mileage and let you know what I get.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay here's a little update over my latest tank of 95 octane fuel:

245km / 152 miles - Fuel gauge started flashing empty, range guide saying 80km / 50 miles left.

280km / 175 miles - Rage guide goes blank!!!

301km / 187 miles - I get nervous so fill up, brimming the tank with 12.6L of fuel.

I'd been a little more frisky with the throttle lately so that works out higher at 4.2L/100km (~56mpg) for this tank.

Still apparently another 2.4L of fuel left in the 15L tank, which should yield 50km before running totally dry.

Theoretical tank range ~ 350km / 217 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Not a new 650, my old ZR7 gets 50-53 USmpg and has a 22L tank. In theory, range is 290 miles though I've never gone past 217 and I still had over a gallon in the tank. I posted just to remind us all that when you're running low, that theoretical petrol station will be practically just around the corner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just filled up at 240km on the tank with the Guage flashing, took 10.9 litres and the range screen showed 60k left. I was sitting in some brutal traffic for a good 30 mins before that as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been through quite a few tanks now (always 95 octane ethanol-free fuel) and over all those tanks my average is sitting right on 4.0L/100km. I've never pushed the range past 310km but I have no doubt that I could get 350km every time from a full tank - as long as that's not giving it the berries through the twisties for the full tank of course! The flashing fuel gauge comes on so early.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still in the break in so have not pushed it. The computer says 68 mpg but who believes a computer. My 2014 regularly averaged 60 mpg so expect the same a tad better for the 2017. Always fill with premium. Ride the back road twisty. Not aggressive but having fun so not slow either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whenever I'm riding conservatively I can average about 200 miles on a full tank. I've had tanks that lasted as little as 140 and as high as 220 though.

I always fill with ethanol free (have 1 station in town that carries it), or just regular unleaded when ethanol free is not available. I found regular gave me better mileage than premium.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts