RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need too change my oil after the cold spell , what oil do you use ??? , ive been told too use this fuchs silkolene .:blah:

·
Registered
32 Posts
My choice of oil

There are plenty of threads on here about it!

My engine has done at leat 50,000miles (don't ask why I don't know) and was using a fair bit of oil when I used putoline 10w40 cheapo version (not sure if semi synthetic or not).
I then swapped to 15w50 and the oil consumtion is less than half, i can't remember if it is fully synthetic or semi. The dealer at the time said it might make the clutch slip - they all say that! But the makers website says it won't and it doesn't. In fact although more expensive it saves me money as I don't burn much of it, but using the cheapo stuff I found it broke down faster and the consumtion got higher between the 4k changes towards the end.

Hope this helps.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
I switched to Shell Rotella 15w-40 diesel oil early on and sold the ZR with a happy and healthy engine at 43,000 miles. I also use it in my Dodge Cummins lol.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Jonnie,
I'm in central Scotland, so I'm riding in similar weather to you (dull, damp, dreary and dreicht, but at least the winter's better)
I use either Castrol 4T or Halford's 10W-40 Motorcycle oil (Bugundy container)
I'm not using any oil between changes.

Some people have reported that when switching from mineral, or semi-synthetic oil to fully synthetic that they do get higher oil consumption, and that by switching back again the oil consumption drops.
So it all depends on what your engine's been used to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts