Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Maxima

Votes: 1 2.1%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bout to change the oil before winter and was just curious what oil everyone uses.... I've always had Repsol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Been using Amsoil in mine since I picked it up. Sure its expensive stuff but I think that it is well worth it.

·
Banned
357 Posts
None of the above when I had my 650. I used Shell Rotella T6 5w 40 full synthetic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Havoline 10W 40 Motorcycle dino oil at any walmart, O' Riley's or Advance Auto for 3.99 to 4.99 every 2000 miles. Don't worry about buying expensive or synthetic as I change it religiously every 2 thousand miles

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
If you are going to go with synthetic, might as well spend the $ on getting the oil tested periodically. Then you will know exactly when to change it and if there is anything strange in the oil that will point to a potential problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mobile 1, its easily available at many of the local auto shops for bikes around here and its quality enough for the 650's moderate performance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone one told me synthetic motor oils that have 5W or 10W can be bad for our clutch's? Anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Amsoil Syn - 10W40, it has the additives for the clutches.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Someone one told me synthetic motor oils that have 5W or 10W can be bad for our clutch's? Anyone else heard this?
As long as the oil isn't labeled "Energy conservation" you are fine. Friction modifiers that are in most "car" or "light truck" oils are what potentially cause clutch slippage.

Motorcycle and diesel branded oils do not have friction modifiers added to them making them less likely to make the clutch slip.

The weight of the oil has nothing to do with the clutch slipping.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I also use Shell Rotella. Can that be added to the list or is it too late?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I changed my oil like a month or two ago and I can't even rememeber what I used. But I am not loyal to one single brand. Meh...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also use Shell Rotella. Can that be added to the list or is it too late?
It is too late but I will note that Shell's Rotella seems to be used alot on here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I currently use Silkolene 15w50, previously was using Motul 5100 15w50. Reason for change: Motul was out of stock.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Motul...soon switching to mobile 1 synthetic. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't what what oil you use as long as you change it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
414 Posts
I ran Amsoil in My ZX6R.
As of right now, still using Kawasaki in my n.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am currently running Castrol 10W-40 motorcycle oil in both ninjas. But have shell rotella syn on workbench ready to go in the 650, need a few more miles on the 250 before switching to syn in it.

Surf the web on oil analysis, there is a great article on which is best for motorcycle motors. Shell rotella T came out on top, chevron dello 400, 2nd.

Shell rotella is great stuff and can be found just about anywhere.

I have been using Rotellla in my 7.3L turbo diesel for 10 years and in the truck before that. Have sent in a couple oil samples to the lab for analysis. Results have confirmed that shell rotella is the way to go for me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went to the local dealer and they told me to use some Kawi specific one so that is the one I am going to use this winter. This is new to me on bikes so I wasn't sure if the oil was any different than it is for cars.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts