RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, See of you can guess this one.

1.What bike is this...?
2.Who is the famous author who is riding it?
3.What book(s) did he write?
4.Whats his son's name (the boy on the photo) ?

Good Luck

Jess

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kevin said:
can you give a hint?
this is a quote from one of his books:

"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower. To think otherwise is to demean the Buddah--which is to demean oneself."

The Motorcycle is from the year 1964

and attached is another pic:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Graeme,

Did the Kookaburras wake you up this early... its not even 5 am yet in your neck of the woods.

Jess

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kevin said:
jessica, i guess i'm a bit to young to know that one ;)
only 2 years younger than me :)

The book is actually still selling, according to a website Ive been reading.

ok... another hint...

The most well known book he wrote was published in 1976.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Jessica said:
Ok, See of you can guess this one.

1.What bike is this...?
2.Who is the famous author who is riding it?
3.What book(s) did he write?
4.Whats his son's name (the boy on the photo) ?

Good Luck

Jess
Bike? I'm pretty sure it says in the book, but a friend is borrowing it, so I don't know
Robert Pirsig
Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Lila
Chris

My current favorite author, I read "Zen..." 4 times while I was in Kuwait and Iraq. I'm reading Lila now. No motorcycles, but very interesting Philosophy.

What else ya got!? :headbang:

BTW, Welcome back Jess!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: What kind of bike is this, and who is riding it ?

AllDayZ said:

Bike? I'm pretty sure it says in the book, but a friend is borrowing it, so I don't know
Robert Pirsig
Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Lila
Chris

My current favorite author, I read "Zen..." 4 times while I was in Kuwait and Iraq. I'm reading Lila now. No motorcycles, but very interesting Philosophy.

Very good!

I read it while I was in Lebanon. It is so different and amazing, he is my current favourite too. Ive got 2 other books Ive gotta read first but after that Ill be reading Lila.
The bike model he rides is not mentioned in the book, but I found it on a webpage.
Its a 1964 Honda SuperHawk - a CB77

This is who we are talking about, I highly recommend it, but be warned, its no easy light reading.

This book is online here.

Well done AlldayZ

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
:thinkerg: I just got done readin the latest Incredible Hulk comic !!!

:( Awww shucks. No wonder I can't keep up with you guys with these trivia games. You all read them books that make you all filla ...... philla ....... ooooOOOHHH Make ya think an stuff.

:mecry:

·
Registered
252 Posts
MedZR7Treker said:
:( Awww shucks. No wonder I can't keep up with you guys with these trivia games. You all read them books that make you all filla ...... philla ....... ooooOOOHHH Make ya think an stuff.
[/B]

:sweat: :sweat: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lila is just as heavy so far. Instead of discussing quality, now he is (so far, I'm only halfway into it) describing the metaphysics of Quality, and showing why the current metaphysics is the root of all evil. :cool:

Very thought provoking so far.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I was going to say CB350 but didn't think they were made that far back.. I had forgot about the 305. I had also forgot the early CBs numbers didn't mean the size in CCs. When I was in high school a guy in town had one of those and a Yamaha RD250. Of course back then neither bike was that old.

·
Cliff Clavin
4,090 Posts
Dang! Beaten to the answer. But here's a site I found with all the pictures from that trip the book is based on: http://www.zmmquality.org/gallery/Pictures-Robert-Pirsigs-original-1968-trip-album01?page=1. With Pirsig, Chris, John and Sylvia, and the DeWeese's. The captions put the imagery in context with the narration in the appropriate passages in the book. Kind of sad to look at those pics after reading the afterward to the 1984 edition (I won't reveal any spoilers for those who are interested in reading and haven't). And notice how they packed so much gear on those "little" bikes considering they were going 2up!

I haven't gotten to his other books, because quite frankly, I'm happy to reread Zen every other year or so, taking my time to digest only a few pages at a time. And I always get something new each time I read it. Pirsig talks about other classic books that are read the same way. Like Thoreau's Walden.

·
Cliff Clavin
4,090 Posts
MedZR7Treker said:
You all read them books that make you all filla ...... philla .......
You mean stand-up philosophers? Those who coalesce the vapors of human existence into a viable and meaningful comprehension.

In other words, a?... Anyone, Anyone? :smilewink

(No Singing either!)

·
Timex
752 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that the pic is Pirsig. With his celebrity status and role in "Torque", I was thinking it was Tony. It's very similar to the shot they showed on Access Hollywood about "MedZR7Treker, the Early Years".

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AllDayZ said:
Awesome site man, thanks! I'm sure Jess will like it too!
Yeah Fantastic, Interesting, thanks for the link Jeff!! I just KNEW that it would be your kind of book too. :)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I have read Zen several times. It is a great book, but as Jessica warned, its not easy reading. I have also driven part of the itinerary that he describes in the book, across the northern USA prairies, towards the mountains.
A must read.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts