RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

What is wrong with my motorcycle??

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just found this forum, looked around a bit, and am now making this post. So please dont flame me if I've done something wrong...

Anywho, I'm a fairly new rider, started earlier this year. I started on an 06' 650R, which I still have. It has 16k-ish miles on it.

Today was the first day I have ridden in the rain. I smelled some burning of some sort which worried me, but after doing some research and talking to a knowledgeable friend, I learned that the smell is probably just water and things that have been kicked up onto my header and are now burning off. Which is normal when wet...

HOWEVER: It seemed to get worse on my way home from work. And after getting off the freeway, I noticed a sort of clunking sound happening when starting from a stop, and at low RPM in my first few gears. It may have continued in higher gears as well, but it's hard to hear over the noise of the engine.

The bike idles fine, no weird noises. But as soon as you put it and gear and begin to roll, you hear a few clunks. They seem to dissipate as the RPMs get higher (again, could just be the fact that I can no longer hear the clunking over my engine noise), but upon shifting and dropping RPM, I can hear them again.

Also, when idling (everything as normal) shifting down into first seems to make a lot louder sound now, and I think I hear some rattling. After the shift, clutch still in, the idling still sounds normal.

I'm afraid that something has broken in my gearbox or something. A dog pin or tooth off of a gear. I really dont hardly know anything about motorcycles yet and I'm really worried about it. I don't want something to completely break as I'm riding, and cause me to crash.

Please ask me for more details or specific info if needed. It's dark and wet outside, so I can't really do much with it tonight. Tomorrow morning, I will take a better look at it and try to see if it's still acting up, or if I'm just being paranoid.

Thank in advance!!

~Kaylor

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay, after thinking about it some more, I decided to go outside with a flashlight and take a closer look. I rode it around a couple circles and listened for the nose close when I shifted. I THINKKKK I know what's wrong with it....

I'm pretty sure my chain is way too loose, and its hitting the frame. When I put it in gear, it bounces a lot, and it has a ton of play. So tomorrow im going to clean it and tighten it up! I'll reply again if it doesnt fix my problem.

P.S. Is there any way for me to delete this original posting?

Thanks!

~Kaylor

#4 ·
Kaylor,

Welcome to the Forum.........No such thing as a dumb question! You're dumb if you don't ask questions! Woot Woot!!!

There's plenty of Chain and Sprocket Threads on the Forum, Enjoy!

Cheers

#3 ·
Hey, no worries and welcome to the forum.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. It is a good idea to get to know your Owner's and Service manual. There is a lot of great information that will help you maintain your bike, and save you $$.

If you don't have the manuals you can download them.

#7 ·
I'm pretty sure my chain is way too loose, and its hitting the frame
Hopefully it's not loose enought to hit the frame ... on mine, when the chain had excessive slack, it would hit the muffler

Yes, as others have posted: please familiarize yourself with the manual; you WANT to know the basic maintenance requirements (for your own good)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.