RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between ZR1000-A1 and ZR1000-A2? Now that the weather is getting too cold and snowy (here in CO) I find myself noticing new things about the bike that I didn't when I could ride it. Also, could someone tell me what the difference ZR1000 and Z1000 is? I just realized the owners manual shows both. -Thanx

·
Registered
217 Posts
A1 is the first model/ first year/. A2 is same bike 2nd year of production. It's Kawi's way. I Had a '00 Kawi Drifter it's official name was VN1500J2 (Vulcan, 1500cc, Drifter was the "J" model ( Nomad and classic were other models)"00 was the second year for Drifter, so J2.
The 2003's Z1000's official name is ZR1000A1
If they came up with a Z1000 that had say, a bigger fairing or shaft drive or something to make it different than the Z1000 it would probably be ZR1000B1 for it's first year. Etc...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scum

Mine is an A2. I was getting worried that I had a Califorinia model.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
What's the difference in a CA model?

I know of the cannister which I have been informed does not reduce power...

Anything else?

·
Registered
118 Posts
you could have an A2 California model... I do... dammit...

the california model has the KLEEN emmisions system vapour return system, which is the space wasting cannister in the back as well as some tubes and a gas seperater... The biggest drawback on the california models is the catatlytic converters in the exhuasts and more importantly the low power output ECU...

the only full power ECU's are in the European models... all this info is in the service manual...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the best (more realistically the easiest) way to tell if I do have the CA model? I live in CO and purchased the bike new here in CO, but I have heard that for certain applications CA spec items are sold here. This could be because of the clean air movement and/or the high altitude. It might just be completely false. I am not sure.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I may be misinformed, but I was under the impression that European bikes had power caps placed on them, and were restricted to 100 hp. Maybe that's no longer the case, but if it's still current than the more powerful European ECU doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
179 Posts
specs european z1k

hello there,
saw the discussion on the power of the z

my manual say's the following;
max horsepower; 127HP (general)
123HP (australian and malaysian model)
106HP (model with honeycomb cat.convertor)

don't know the result at the rearwheel but some guys over here had them on a dyno and go up to 130 or more

Ad

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the difference between ZR1000-A1 and ZR1000-A2? Now that the weather is getting too cold and snowy (here in CO) I find myself noticing new things about the bike that I didn't when I could ride it. Also, could someone tell me what the difference ZR1000 and Z1000 is? I just realized the owners manual shows both. -Thanx
How can I tell the difference Is it on the serial numbers. thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the difference between ZR1000-A1 and ZR1000-A2? Now that the weather is getting too cold and snowy (here in CO) I find myself noticing new things about the bike that I didn't when I could ride it. Also, could someone t
And would anyone know how many 85 86 900,s were produced????
ell me what the difference ZR1000 and Z1000 is? I just realized the owners manual shows both. -Thanx
How can I tell the difference Is it on the serial numbers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts