RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
The first gens are what originaly intrigued me. Ended up buying a 2nd gen once they came out. I prefer buying new. Ultimately the only real world differences between the two are going to be looks and vibration. Power difference is minor. First gens can be had for really cheap at the moment. 3k-4k will get a solid Z with a few mods.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you can't find a nice low mileage Z locally let me know. I have exactly what you are looking for, but I am all the way up in Iowa. There are ways to get it down to you if you are interested. Good luck finding a great Z, they are simply awsome bikes. By the way the red ones are not only the fastest but also the best looking! ;)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
mate just get the latest year your wallet will allow.

and look out for bikes with extra mods done already. will save you a lot of cash if you've already got pipes, pc3, plastic bits etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Go for a late '04 or later up to the '07's. The early '03's had the soft suspension. The Late manufactured date '04's made in late '03 had overly harsh suspension apparently as a result of the findings about the early '03's. I know this to be true because I've got a late '03 made '04. The later '04's and on, from reports, seem to have a nicely tuned suspension.

Why not get an '08? Because they got too detailled for my tastes. Too many design frills. To me the bike lost it when they gave in to the demands of the fashion runway.

YMMV of course and I fully respect those that love their late model Z's but for me the best Z style was the original style with their simplicity of line and detail.

That thread about the 2010's, if it is true, seems to show a movement back to a simpler style even if it does also reflect a move towards shrouding the bike in more plastic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Darn those 03's are nice bikes.. I am leaning to the 10 though.. I really want to nab one of those, I wish they came in Lime Green lol.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Love my titanium but I gotta say the red ones do look nice.

Now you seem to have another choice -
$10,500 or whatever the 2010's will run for or
$3500-4K for an 2003-2006

My opinion 03-06>2010, but I have a bias opinion

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've been doing alot of reserch on the Kawasaki z1000. I'm looking to buy one and I'm stuck on witch year to buy. I know their all awesome and beautiful but I'm looking for the best year for reliability for commuting to and from work but I also want a fun bike for weekend rides with my brother he has an 08 gsxr 600, I can't ride a crotch rocket because I'm 6'4 and 235lbs and the riding position is uncomfortable get cramps in hips when I ride them to long. And the zed feels really comfortable to me. but I can't afford a newer one. And there aren't much long term reviews on the web. I don't know if any one year is better than the other, or how much miles is to much miles on a zed. So that's why I'm asking for your expertise any help would be great. I look forward to your imput I'm getting anxious to get my z1k. Thanx
Hi everyone,

I've been doing alot of reserch on the Kawasaki z1000. I'm looking to buy one and I'm stuck on witch year to buy. I know their all awesome and beautiful but I'm looking for the best year for reliability for commuting to and from work but I also want a fun bike for weekend rides with my brother he has an 08 gsxr 600, I can't ride a crotch rocket because I'm 6'4 and 235lbs and the riding position is uncomfortable get cramps in hips when I ride them to long. And the zed feels really comfortable to me. but I can't afford a newer one. And there aren't much long term reviews on the web. I don't know if any one year is better than the other, or how much miles is to much miles on a zed. So that's why I'm asking for your expertise any help would be great. I look forward to your imput I'm getting anxious to get my z1k. Thanx
I would say the gen 3 is the best by a country mile pre load works the bhp is up to 140 there abouts.
It will keep with supersports with ease.
I just love this bike, I have gen 2 and gen 3 .

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you're going by speeding ticket cost I win, my 750s got me a $400+ ticket and nearly sent my ride to bike jail for 2 weeks which would have added towing and storage charges, I talked the cop into lowering it from 65kph over to 49kph and didn't get the stunt driving catagory we have in Ontario. With lower stock gearing and 1000 rpm more there isn't a realistic way to compare top end speed but it's probably not as much difference as most people think, you guy's do have a big torque advantage though. I like the 03 to 05 just because of the cams longer duration, the 07 torque bump/ horsepower dip was due to this as well as different gearing, gen 1 were lighter too.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts