RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been doing alot of reserch on the Kawasaki z1000. I'm looking to buy one and I'm stuck on witch year to buy. I know their all awesome and beautiful but I'm looking for the best year for reliability for commuting to and from work but I also want a fun bike for weekend rides with my brother he has an 08 gsxr 600, I can't ride a crotch rocket because I'm 6'4 and 235lbs and the riding position is uncomfortable get cramps in hips when I ride them to long. And the zed feels really comfortable to me. but I can't afford a newer one. And there aren't much long term reviews on the web. I don't know if any one year is better than the other, or how much miles is to much miles on a zed. So that's why I'm asking for your expertise any help would be great. I look forward to your imput I'm getting anxious to get my z1k. Thanx

·
Registered
148 Posts
'03 had a potential frame cracking issue near the steering head, but Kawi fixes it if the bike hasn't already had it done. It also had hugely limp front springs - I'm ~160lbs and I have my fork preload cranked to max and I still can't achieve correct sag numbers. But at your weight you'd really be best off with proper springs anyway, so I'd say get whatever you can get for a good price. '03 also had a couple more greaseable points on the rear suspension linkage and swingarm (I think it's only '03) but I don't think that accounts for much of anything.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It's all about color choice since 03-06 is pretty much the same.
Yes there's the frame crack issue on the 03, but I haven't heard of it to be THAT big of a problem, and Kawi will fix it for you if it hasn't been fixed like mentioned.
03 is avail in Orange or black w/ red accents
04 is avail in Kawi Green or Red...
05 is flat plasma blue
06 is flat titanium...

I personally like all the orange, black, red, or green.... the later flat one just doesn't pop as much.

There are MILLIONS of pictures in the pix thread you can look at and decide...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Depending what you want to spend, the 07+ did get rid of the annoying vibration that the 1st gen. was known for. Power/torque wise, they are very similar. At that point it comes down to what you want to spend and which look you prefer. Obviously if this is going to be a commuter, you will want to find a low mileage bike.

·
Registered
985 Posts
03 baby!! Raw and wild!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yes there's the frame crack issue on the 03, but I haven't heard of it to be THAT big of a problem, and Kawi will fix it for you if it hasn't been fixed like mentioned.
05 is flat plasma blue
06 is flat titanium...

I personally like all the orange, black, red, or green.... the later flat one just doesn't pop as much.

You have the 05 and 06 colors switched up, 05 is titanium. Personally I prefer the look of the 03 to 06 over the 2nd gen. You can come by them for pretty cheap now days and the mods are almost endless

·
El Controlador
1,074 Posts
'05 hands down

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input.

Thanks guys you've helped alot. I think I will go with the 03 because there cheaper and they have lots of after market goodies. There's a guy with a orange 03 zed. He asking $4800 it has 9000 miles on it and it is very clean, but the price seems a little high for the milage. Is 9000mi considered high miles for a zed. When if at all do they start nickle and dimeing you?? My main goal it to get the most reliabe zed I can so should I find one with Less miles? What do you think about the price? Is that what there going for or should I talk him down? Thanks alot for helping the newbie.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my 03 6 months ago with 9k on it for $3000. Nothing wrong at all with it. In fact its still under the extended warrenty till next april. I would talk him down to under $4000 at least.

·
Registered
402 Posts
05 is flat plasma blue
06 is flat titanium...

05 is the titanium
06 is the plasma blue

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks guys you've helped alot. I think I will go with the 03 because there cheaper and they have lots of after market goodies. There's a guy with a orange 03 zed. He asking $4800 it has 9000 miles on it and it is very clean, but the price seems a little high for the milage. Is 9000mi considered high miles for a zed. When if at all do they start nickle and dimeing you?? My main goal it to get the most reliabe zed I can so should I find one with Less miles? What do you think about the price? Is that what there going for or should I talk him down? Thanks alot for helping the newbie.
For reference I got my '03 in July of '07 with 4300 miles, a Micron Ti/Carbon full 4-1, K&N, dyno-tuned PC3, stainless lines, and maybe a few other small things for $5300. Don't know if that helps any, just putting it out there. I'd think a stock bike could be had for $4k or less if you're willing to shop around. But if you like the bike and are impatient and it's worth $4800 to you, go for it - it's your money. Lord knows I've paid a hair too much for things that just connected with me for some reason.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I thought.

I got my 03 6 months ago with 9k on it for $3000. Nothing wrong at all with it. In fact its still under the extended warrenty till next april. I would talk him down to under $4000 at least.

Thanx guys for the quick responce. I thought the price seemed a little high even though the bike is close to show room cond. It still has 9000mi on it but from what I'm hearing on the forum the zed can go forever if taken care of properly. The pics of the bikes are beautiful and I can't wait to get mine so I can do the same things to mine. I think I will keep looking for one with Les miles on it because I'm planning on driving the bike to work forever. And I don't want to have to worry about vavle adjustment and stuff like that so soon after I get the bike. I want to find a bike with 4 to 5 thousand miles on it. I glad I found this forum because you all have a z1000 and who better to ask these questions. So thanx again for the help.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I like the looks of the 07 and newer bikes, but all the Zed's are good bikes and will perform about the same. It's all in what you can afford and what looks you like the best. My 08 has beed a great bike and does well on everything I want it to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Beside looks, what are the major technical differences between the years.....

Im looking to buy a Z1000 and to be honest, i really like the look of the 2003-2006 models, especially the exhausts! But if the 07-08 models worth the extra $$$ technically speaking, i may change my mind.......

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Beside looks, what are the major technical differences between the years.....

Im looking to buy a Z1000 and to be honest, i really like the look of the 2003-2006 models, especially the exhausts! But if the 07-08 models worth the extra $$$ technically speaking, i may change my mind.......
I really don't think there are a whole lot of major technical differences. I think it has already been said the only real difference with the motor is the 2nd gen has a little less hp and a little more torque. The 2nd gen vibrates a little bit less too, but that's an easy fix for the first gen. They both have the old ZX9R motor bored out and modified. They both have similar riding positions. The 2nd gen is just newer and some people will pay more to have a newer bike but there is nothing wrong with the 2003-2006 models.

I guess what I am trying to say is there is no major problems with either bikes, whichever way you go is a good choice. As for which one is better, it is a toss up, depends on your styling preferences.

·
Registered
929 Posts
2003 FTW!!! (Orange is the fastest color) :glassesti

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
2003 FTW!!! (Orange is the fastest color) :glassesti]
haha, if you clasify fastest by the amount of speeding tickets each color has recieved I imagine the orange and green are the "fastest". The titanium must be pretty fast too, it got me a $260 speeding ticket

1 - 20 of 37 Posts