RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought 2 different pairs recently, to get free shipping on an order. Both were about $9 each.

I replaced my worn pair of Spider Peak grips (they lasted just over 1 year), they are $17.95
Introducing the New Spider PEAK Grip! ? Spider Grips

with Progrip Touring Gel 761's this past Sept. They feel okay, not quite as thick and soft as the Spiders.
They are still looking good. Certainly a better deal, at half the price of the Spiders.

I also have a pair of Sportbike Gel 699's, so I'll have to update this post sometime...
Installed the Spider Peak grips yesterday. I bought them over the winter and had forgotten about them until I was out riding yesterday!
I haven't ridden with them on yet, but they fit really well and feel "good" when sitting on the bike. :)

I actually used the compressed air technique to remove the old grips and install the new ones.
I used to always use hair spray, but the air method was cleaner and when the new grips are on, they don't slide around at all.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use orbital grips. Haven't tried the pro grips.

20150422_170441.jpg

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I noticed someone , earlier, mention not wearing gloves.

I had a massive crash, years back. Punctured lung, broken ribs. Broken shoulder. Broken leg.

There were times when I did not want to push my Morphine pump button because it required me moving my scraped hands.

I'm a "Half the gear, 1/4 of the time sort of guy, but my bike does not move unless i have a helmet on, and some leather glove. No Nylon.. Nylon is for dirt and gets super hot when sliding on pavement. They will happily scrape the nylon from your skin, no problem.

Yes, it will feel strange for 10 minutes, then you'll forget your wearing them.

One odd grip that happens to be my favorite is the renthal kevlar. These look like something that falls out of a sick baby, color wise, but wear like iron and are sticky. http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/images/products/21.7006.jpg

These are the most amazing compound I've ever used. VERY soft, but way more durable than anything else. They say the rubber loses its positives if they add coloring.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just switched from progrips to kung fu grips, much more comfortable, have some carpal tunnel and mild tendonitis in my right arm, and they do help as do gloves with gel in the palm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Switched from progrip 717's, which were very nice, to oxford heated grips. I regret nothing, besides the slightly larger hole in my wallet.

·
Super Moderator
2,518 Posts
I noticed someone , earlier, mention not wearing gloves.

I had a massive crash, years back. Punctured lung, broken ribs. Broken shoulder. Broken leg.
I also came off many years ago on what we call in Oz 'hot mix' - very fine and smooth asphalt..I had no gloves on and it was a low speed low-side...I put my hands down as I hit the hot mix, the skin on my palms was was concertinaed at the wrist, just like an open sardine can. I couldn't wash myself or wipe my arse for over a week...it was a good lesson.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've heard of some people filling their bars with silicone to help reduce vibrations. Anyone ever try this? I might give it a go later this summer, its cheap enough if it doesn't work you aren't out much.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've heard of some people filling their bars with silicone to help reduce vibrations. Anyone ever try this? I might give it a go later this summer, its cheap enough if it doesn't work you aren't out much.
I've also heard people filling the bars with lead shot or BB's - supposed to work even better, but have never tried it myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've also heard people filling the bars with lead shot or BB's - supposed to work even better, but have never tried it myself.
Lead or BB's have more mass so it would work real well, my concern would be the extra weight and strain added to the bars. Not 100% sure about that but the shot would absorb at least 60-75% of the vibration.

Silicone might work, it could also channel the vibrating waves out to the bars more?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Lead or BB's have more mass so it would work real well, my concern would be the extra weight and strain added to the bars. Not 100% sure about that but the shot would absorb at least 60-75% of the vibration.

Silicone might work, it could also channel the vibrating waves out to the bars more?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. The extra mass should help with the vibrations, but adding an extra X ounces/pounds of weight - nobody wants more weight on the bike if they can help it. Bar end weights are supposed to limit the vibrations and all they are is weight on the end of the bar - supposedly the heavier the weight the better they perform. Again, adding more weight. The silicone option would be nicer from a weight saving standpoint, as long as it works as well.

Another thought is solid aluminum bars - my friend had some on his dual sport, so they should work on our bikes as well. Wouldn't add much weight, but not sure about the vibration quelling properties of solid aluminum, though.

I don't find much vibration through the bars, although they are rubber mounted (not sure what year they started doing this - maybe all Ninja 650's have it?) Also, the footpegs on my 2015 are rubber mounted, so it helps keep vibes out as well. My 2014 Ninja 300 had more vibes in the bars, pegs and seat, but might be at least partially from running higher rpm's to achieve the same speed etc.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts