RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what everyone's take is on the new Honda VFR Interceptor. The more I look at it now, the less I like it. I love the older models (actually, all the models up until now), but it seems like Honda went the super-trickery route without really improving anything.

The new bike is heavier and more complex than the old one. It has the same peak horsepower, but they say it fills the torque curve up a little bit in the mid-range. The several magazine articles I've read say that they can barely feel the difference. They even find it hard to tell when the VTEC kicks in at 7000 rpm. I read a review on Motorcycle Online (where they did a dyno run on it), and you should read some of the feedback from readers. I don't think I heard one positive thing.

I mean, I'm sure it's a good bike, but those angular "jowels" protruding down from the front fairing now are ugly. The whole bike is too angular; even the passenger grab rails are designed to be "out-there stylish", as they're only mounted on the front end and not the back. Very Chic.... Yeah....

The only think I really think is an improvement is the "up and over" exhaust. I'm sure it's still a great bike, but why the heck would Honda put out a heavier, more complex, DELIBERATE copy of the Aprilia Futura when their fan base hates what is arguably one of their most popular and loyal rider-based bikes ever? (Sure, they did it with the Gold Wing, but at least the Wing is MUCH faster, easier to maneuver, more comfortable, more user-friendly than the old one).

Opinions?

Emrah

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I've only seen it in pictures, but I like it. Yeah, they're pushing the design envelope a little, but that's what keeps everybody interested and talking about it, like we're doing now. As Madonna can attest to, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I like the Ducati style mufflers, but can you imagine the aftermarket cost of slip-ons?? These things are triangular, and you need two! Can you say a thousand bucks for slip-ons?

As far as the styling goes, after being out of motorcycles for about 20 years, I had a hard time getting used to the overall styling of newer (later than 1985) bikes. The small (16 or 17 inch) front wheels really looked odd compared with bikes of the 1970's. And the gas tanks that didn't "flow" with the seat contour bothered me too. But now my eyeballs are used to it and it looks OK. Maybe the same thing will happen with the interceptor's sharp lines. Dunno.

Make mine red!!;)

Keep the Christ in Christmas, and have a merry one!

kelly

·
Registered
304 Posts
The first dyno runs show it making less power than last year!!! Sorry not this boy.... I have to wonder what a 600 mile service will cost on those funky valves?

Philip

·
Registered
374 Posts
I already told the dealer to call me a soon as one gets in!

I love this bike. It looks and is high tech. Its all about marketing image and Honda has snagged me with this bike. I love the center-up exhaust, VTEC and uni-swingarm, even if they are no improvement over the last iteration of the model.

I also think people are missing the point of the bike. Its not out to be a beat all sport bike - that's what the 954 and RC1 are for. Instead its aimed at tourers, which is why it comes with optional ABS, hardbags and has risers on the bars for a more touring riding position.

Sorry guys and gals, but I will probably be trading my ZR in on this baby and keep my Ninja for the speed fixes.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
UGLY. Way too much techno-garbage and hype, without enough go. More bark than bite, I guess.

I dunno, I would never even give the thing a second thought. Not my bag. I'd be taking a Triumph Sprint with 15 extra horsepower in a heartbeat over the new Honda. And if you've got the money to play with, go for the Ducati ST4s, quite possibly the best looking and best performing sport-tourer EVER.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree about the ST4s (mmmmm.......)

Kawman, I wasn't slagging it for not being a Superbike. Just pointing out that despite the styling (which I think is too Futura-ish and don't like, but that's a personal thing), all the VTEC gadgetry, complexity and COST doesn't do a single thing to make the bike better. For my money, if they're going to load down a perfectly fine bike with techno wizardy and make it HEAVIER in the process, at least let it have some performance gain to show for it. At least they seemed (from what I've read) to have fixed the linked braking issues.

Hey, I'd be one of the first in line to buy an Interceptor if I could afford it. It's just that mine would be a 2001-and before bike.

Emrah

·
Registered
190 Posts
I like the bike but the rearend looks a little strange. I think they should come in different colors.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I saw it and I touched it. I went to Peter Steven during lunch time, and saw this brand spanking new VFR800F. The seat looked really low, and overall the bike looked only so-so. The Fireblade next to it stood out more. I wouldn't buy one even if I'm loaded. I'll wait for the CB900 Hornet.

Z

·
0 Posts
I agree with AP...the VFR is nice, but man I sure do like that 919(USA) or CB900 Hornet (as it's known to the rest of the world)...here in the US we're getting one color, ASPHALT?? what the hell was Honda thinking? I liked the blue version I saw in a Euro Mag...."Blue bikes go faster!" ...hehehehe :smilewink

Ride Safe!

Pete S.
:cool:

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sat on both bikes when Scott and I went to the Motorcycle Show here in LA. Both are very comfy, but that 919 (Hornet) looks pretty damned mean. I want one (let's see, that makes about 14 "gotta have" bikes...) The 919 is very comfortable, and it feels lighter than it looks; at least just sitting on it. It feels very much like the ZR-7. Even the "view" is very similar when sitting on it. I really dig the Asphalt color, though that blue is also pretty sweet.

Emrah

·
Registered
286 Posts
As someone who considers himself a VFR fanatic, I lusted for one starting in 1987 when I heard one. I have to say that I am so *not* impressed with the '02 VFR.
For one, I can't stand that they got rid of the gear-driven cams. It was a VFR trademark and anyone who has ever heard an 86-01 VFR with a mellow aftermarket pipe can attest to the beautiful music.
Although I prefer the 90-97 VFR (especially the 90-93), I was getting used to the looks of the 98-01. I think that they went overboard with the styling on the '02. The quad headlights make the front end look cluttered and not smooth at all. The back end looks like it was designed by a different group that wasn't communicating with the front end group. Although I like the looks of the back end better. The seating position was classic VFR, it felt almost exactly like my old '91, and quite comfy but the seat was a bit firm.
I can say without a doubt that I will not be trading in my ZR-7 on an '02 VFR.

:(

·
Registered
164 Posts
honda is getting agressive with the styling and i admit its not growing on me (the 919 is right up my alley for sure!!!).

The VTEC is not as sophisticated as people think, it doesnt make valve adjustments more complicated. I think the VFR has the same lock nut and screw valve adjustment that Honda cars have.

Contrary to everyone else, i dont like the exhaust. It looks more complicated, and more expensive to change out. But I guess having it tucked away is good for reducing drag.

But the true test of this bike will be over time. This thing is meant to be a sporty touring bike, one with more of a likeness for the twisties, than say, a honda st1100 (or upcoming 1300).
Personally, form follows function, so if this bike does the sport touring job exceptionally well (and my gut says it will) and thats what I am looking for, then this bike could end up on my gotta have list.

Just my pre-tax 2 cents.

Joe

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am not 100% sure about it but it appears from the cut-a-way drawings that the '02 has shim under bucket. If it doesn't, that would be another reason no to like the '02. The VFR has had shim under bucket since 86 and the top end has been bulletproof. It is not uncommon for a VFR to go 48000 miles before needing a single shim changed.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Did you know that Royal Enfield made a bike called the "Interceptor" about 40 years back? I just wonder how many other bikes have borne this name?

(It's New Years Eve here, about 6 minutes to go to 2002, so I'm just hanging around the computer trying to think of things to amuse myself. My wife is watching TV. Aren't we the exciting couple then?)
:laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
988 Posts
There's a comparative review of the Honda VFR, Triumph Sprint ST , Aprilia RST Futura and the BMW R1150 RS in the first 2002 edition of Motorrad.

More details at http://www.motorradonline.de/MRD/hft/magazin.htm

Unfortunately in German.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts