621 - 640 of 650 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cut the stock pipes 5"!! I wish I had done this much sooner!! :headbang:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Today I did the KLEEN delete mod. I just blocked the hose at the airbox. This mod is easy to do and makes a nice difference in sound. :alcy:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Today I did the KLEEN delete mod. I just blocked the hose at the airbox. This mod is easy to do and makes a nice difference in sound. :alcy:
KLEEN delete mod, please enlighten me. Is this something to stop the recirculation of the unburned fuel? Or am I way off. Is this simple mod possible with the 07' Z?
Oh yea and today I parked my Z after realizing i have a broken frame member..........:mecry:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did the KLEEN delete to stop the popping sounds on decel after I cut my stock pipes down. The KLEEN system is just for emissions and I'm not 100% sure how it works. I'm not sure if the 07 and 08's can be done the same way. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
what did I do to my Z today? well... I gave my Z a new mate!
bought an 08 zx-10r today :headbang:
Very nice!!!!!:righton:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Its always something

What did I do today??? Well, I broke my front fender when the Z-king died in the middle of a wheelie and slammed down violently. The front end was set a little too soft. The cause of the Z-king to die you ask??? Two torn intake boots (see first two pics). How the hell did that happen, I don't know yet. Ordered a new set - thet'll be here on Wednesday. Now, the hard landing put a huge crack in the front fender and also several gouge marks on top (see 3rd and 4th pics). The solution... modify the front fender with a dremel tool (see the rest of the pics) and set up the front suspension for my weight. To tell you the truth, I actually like it better now. The fender seemed so big before. Now it has more attitude anyway. What do you think?

Torn intake boots::blxsuspic

Damaged front fender: (JUST PAINTED I MIGHT ADD):mad:

Modded front fender::agree:

Fender re-installed::headbang:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Took the gold off the factory exhaust, installed swing-arm spools, did a couple of wheelies, one almost put me in the back of a minivan full of kids...:Wow1:
tightened my recently found loose muffler clamp, snugged up my header bolts... tightened my chain a wee bit, sprayed some lube on the chain, And I washed 'er up all purty!!!:dance:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Took the gold off the factory exhaust, installed swing-arm spools, did a couple of wheelies, one almost put me in the back of a minivan full of kids...:Wow1:
tightened my recently found loose muffler clamp, snugged up my header bolts... tightened my chain a wee bit, sprayed some lube on the chain, And I washed 'er up all purty!!!:dance:
Hey how did you do the chain tighten thing? I'm skeered to do it 'cuz I don't wanna throw off my alignment! :confuse:

·
Registered
799 Posts
if you look closely on the swingarm, where the axle shaft goes thru and there is a big blocky thing that the small 8mm adjuster bolt hits...There are marks on the swingarm and on that block. Just make sure you have the same alignment(the marks align at the same point on either side), on both sides. Loosen the main axle nut on the right side(have to remove cotter pin, of course), only about half a turn was all I needed, then loosen the jamb nuts on each side of the swingarm.(the small bolts that push the axle back) the turn the bolts out and it will push the axle back. It doesn't much to tighten the chain. My chain was very loose(about 2 inches of sagging) and it only took half a mark to bring it to one inch of play( with rider weight, fully loaded). I will take pics of the swingarm and axle up close tomorrow during the day to explain the marks I am referring to. Its really easy, just look at it and think about it...:righton:

·
Registered
969 Posts
if you look closely on the swingarm, where the axle shaft goes thru and there is a big blocky thing that the small 8mm adjuster bolt hits...There are marks on the swingarm and on that block. Just make sure you have the same alignment(the marks align at the same point on either side), on both sides. Loosen the main axle nut on the right side(have to remove cotter pin, of course), only about half a turn was all I needed, then loosen the jamb nuts on each side of the swingarm.(the small bolts that push the axle back) the turn the bolts out and it will push the axle back. It doesn't much to tighten the chain. My chain was very loose(about 2 inches of sagging) and it only took half a mark to bring it to one inch of play( with rider weight, fully loaded). I will take pics of the swingarm and axle up close tomorrow during the day to explain the marks I am referring to. Its really easy, just look at it and think about it...:righton:
I wouldn't go by the marks on the swingarm . . . its better to measure the gap distance on the swingarm. I measured off the marks and screwed up my alignment. Took it to a local mechanic and he is the one who told me about it. Invest in a alignment tool!

·
Registered
799 Posts
I wouldn't go by the marks on the swingarm . . . its better to measure the gap distance on the swingarm. I measured off the marks and screwed up my alignment. Took it to a local mechanic and he is the one who told me about it. Invest in a alignment tool!
Good to know. luckily, mine ended up spot on. But I am certainly gonna look into this alignment tool you refer to.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #638
Coolant flush

Wow, nobody is doing anything to their Zs I guess. :laugh:

I flushed the coolant on my '04 Z1000 today. Who knows when it was done last. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original coolant from 2004.:Wow1:

Man what a PITA to have to take the tank off to get to the rad cap. But on a positive note, I got to inspect all the electrical connections and pack them all with dielectric grease. It's beyond me why that isn't done at the factory.:wtf: The only motorcycle I ever owned that had dielectric grease packed in its connectors was my first 2007 Speed Triple. And it was the consistency of mayonnaise.:barf:

The coolant had some grainy white things in it which I assume is some oxidized aluminum. I flushed the cooling system with distilled water a couple of times and then put in some Engine Ice. After I put the tank back on and reconnected the fuel line, I put a couple of cups of fuel in the tank and then looked under my tank for any leaks. It was all good thankfully so I filled the tank up and fired her up to make sure I didn't screw anything up. Worked like a charm! :woot:

WP_20180808_17_12_21_Rich.jpg

·
Registered
196 Posts
I put a new tire on the rear and ran out of lock tight, so my 730 km. tire break in ride ended up vibrating the rear caliper mounting bolt loose and losing it. I noticed it about halfway through my ride and didn't use the rear brake the rest of the way home. A missing rear bolt will cause the caliper to turn on the front bolt lifting the rear of the caliper, next time I'll definitely go get some more lock tight instead of thinking it'll be fine just tightening to specifications. No damage occurred but ever since I've been riding I've always used both front and rear brakes and it was really hard to break that habit.

621 - 640 of 650 Posts