RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I save up for my first bike, I still want to be doing what I can to prepare for it. I want to start reading up on the basic techniques, in order to add to and reinforce what the MSF taught me.

I see a lot of love given to Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" and Park's "Total Control" but are there any other resources I would do well to check out? Thanks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yep ... those two are good. I also like Hough's "Street Strategies" and know that there is a "Proficient Motorcycling 2" (or some similar title), though I haven't read that one.

·
Registered
462 Posts
No offense intended, Daniella, but I'm a beginner (15 months now) and I have Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist". I think it is for more advanced/experienced riding.

A couple more good ones for anybody, especially beginners and intermediate riders are, IMHO, "Total Control" (Lee Parks) and "Riding in the Zone" (Ken Condon).

·
Registered
131 Posts
None taken Gteg. I have been riding for 3 seasons now and that is what my husband gave my to read along with alot of good advise and ALOT of parking lot time. It is still good reading even though I agree it is an advanced book. Gotta learn about counter-steering somewhere! Why not from the best! (Keith)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, I believe I'm the resident geezer on this board, I've been riding for 38 years, so I'll weigh in with my :yoda: like 0.02: anything you read that deals with skills and stratagies will help, regardless of your experience level, or preception of "Who" the book was written for. Learning never stops as long as you keep an open mind.

Two books I'd recommend along with those mentioned already would be Smooth Riding: The Pridemore Way by Reg Pridemore and Ride Hard Ride Smart by Pat Hahn.

One thing that I also recommend for any rider, not just noobs, is to THINK. Before you take off think about where you're going and possible situations you could get into, think that that kid packed mini van is gonna turn left in front of you, think that knucklehead in the lane next to you is gonne try to merge into your lane. Then when you get off the bike evaluate the ride each and every time: I shouldn't have done this, I did this well, I need to be aware of this.

Yes I'm a paranoid geek on my :soap: but I'm fine in this rash free skin. Get your license and have fun but be SAFE!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts