RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just came back from a forty mile ride on my ZRX1200 with the Conti Motions mounted. I didn't do anything fancy as it is cool out and the tires are brand new.
They seem the same as the Bridgestone Battlax T30 I just removed, as in there is not much feedback from the road. They grip well enough at my conservative speed in some minor twisties and grip well on some over exaggerated stops coming to a stop sign.
The turn-in is real nice and they hold their line on long sweepers.

The Motions do not have the feedback of the Conti Road Attack 3, which is on my other bike, and except for the Motion's numb feedback, I'm happy. I recommend the RA3 ( and now they make RA4) but they are expensive. If you're on a budget, I recommend the Conti Motion.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here is an interesting review on the Motions. I agree with everything the man says except I can't speak for the mileage. I have only put 2000 miles on the zr7S since installing them but there's no sign of wear.

·
見る
2,900 Posts
I just replaced my Pirelli Angel GTs. They were only 50% worn but had gone hard as they were already two years old when bought them. I ordered them online and was obviously sent old stock.

All the roads here are concrete and a lot of it's hand laid and screed, so they are generally pretty rough and you need good tyres if you want to ride at a reasonable speed through any twisties. The GTs were good for a while, but then they started to slip and performed badly while cornering in the rain.

I put up with them for a long time because I didn't want to throw away half worn tyres. But on one trip down from the mountains, I got caught in a tropical downpour. The tyres scared the beejeez out of me. So I ordered a new set.

Most of the big brands are stocked in Manila, and are very expensive to buy and then ship to where I live. I was reading reviews of alternative motorcycle tyres and came across Mitas, a European tyre company. Apparently they have been making tyres for decades and recently got into motorcycle tyre production.

I read a lot of good reviews, found a dealer in Manila and ordered a set at a much cheaper price than brand name tyres.

I got the seller to send me a pic of the date stamp before shipping so that I was getting current stock. He did, and I was.

The tyres are scrubbed in now, and TBH I'm really liking them. They have good grip, don't track, and perform well in the wet. They are a single compound, soft tyre, so mileage might not be high, but I don't do many miles on the Aprilia anyway. I'm more interested in grip and performance.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ozninjaguy, the same happened to my t30 EVO tires. They were fine one ride then the next.. they were evil.
Scary to ride.
They still had plenty of tread and were only slightly squared off but they were six years old at this point and the compound had gone hard. When going around roundabouts or sharp corners at speed I had to force the handlebars to hold the line, all neutral handling was completely gone. And it disappeared so quickly that I had to check the tire pressure because the ZRX handled as if I had 10 psi instead of the recommended 36 psi. All good. I checked the suspension, head bearings, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, you name it.
The only thing left was to change the tires and that did the trick.

I discovered the Conti Motion thanks to Obo when I first bought the zr7S as I was unsure if the bike would even run or if I would like it. It turned out the bike runs perfect and I love it and the Motions are inexpensive and great except for lack of feedback. But, though I can ride quickly on country backroads, I'm never on the bitter edge of speed and traction to the point where I need the feedback from the tires to let me know if I can go faster. Valentino Rossi I am not.
The Motions would be perfect if they gave the same feedback as the RA3 but then they would cost twice as much.
The RA3 is a single compound tire that uses different curing times and temperatures to get different hardness on the tire.

There is virtually no talk of Mitas motorcycle tires here in the US. I'm aware of them and curious.

·
見る
2,900 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
The ContiMotions are a good fit for the ZR7/ZR7S as they are similar in nature (the bike and the tire.)
Not great at any one thing, but good at everything. :)

I agree there are tires that will handle better, at a premium price, but I don't feel this bike needs that for how I ride it.

Now for my ST, that's a bit of a different story. I don't skimp on it, but I also don't have an unlimited wallet :) Life is about compromise isn't it?

·
見る
2,900 Posts
Those Mitas look interesting, I would try them.
Here's the first I saw of them. Donovan is pretty quick for not a small fellow.
Good review. (y) Yeah, mate. Give them a try - you might be surprised. Like the reviewer said - they are also cheaper than brand name tyres.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Mitas sport tires wil be my next tires for the zr7S as it's fun to try something new. However their sport touring tires are priced in the range of the Conti RA3 and I love the RA3 so it would be hard to change especially since they came out with the improved RA4.
But I'll happily buy the Mitas sport tires for the 7 as soon as I wear out the Conti Motion, which takes a long time with multiple bikes. What a terrible problem I have, LOL.

·
見る
2,900 Posts
Make sure that you buy Sport Force + - as I said, from my research, they are superior to the Sport Force which I think was reviewed in the video you posted. Even then the first generation got a good review.

Oh, and no - I don't get a kick back for recommending them. I just like to share bargains/good buys with fellow riders.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Make sure that you buy Sport Force + - as I said, from my research, they are superior to the Sport Force which I think was reviewed in the video you posted. Even then the first generation got a good review.

Oh, and no - I don't get a kick back for recommending them. I just like to share bargains/good buys with fellow riders.
I understand. Thanks. But by the time I'm ready to buy they will probably have an upgrade to the Plus model. I'll still do my research though.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts