RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new set of tires. Wondering what luck people have had with different tires? I'm considering 2 tires at the moment: pirelli angel gt and pirelli Diablo Rosso 2. Leaning towards the Rosso 2 tires. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Tires are subjective, just like oil threads. It depend son if you want something more sticky or something you can get more miles out of.

I can't speak to either Perelli as I've never run them.

I've run three sets of ContiMotions on the front and rear of mine and fine they work fine even in the rain and I get a decent amount of mileage ~12,000km on them as well. They also are very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have shinko ravens all around with 6k mi on the front and 4 or 5k on the back and they still look new. i also have 1 on the back of my var with 7000 km and it will still do most of this year or more. i like them for the price and wear and they are designed in japan for our bikes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've Pilot Road 3s & love them, great in dry & wet, good life in them too

Also have them on my CB1000, actually put 17" wheels on her (originals are 18") just to get the Road 3s

·
Super Moderator
3,334 Posts
I always stuck with Bridgestone BT-23's on my ZR-7S. I've been using the same on the CBR650f.
They are a dual compound "Sport Touring" tire. I ride fairly "gently" and managed 9,000+ miles on a set. Which makes me happy....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've run the series of Bridgestone Battlax ST tires from the 020 to the T-30 EVO and loved them (with the exception of the 021 front). They grip good and get fantastic mileage.
BUT ...On my ,17 z900, I got rid of the factory Dunlops within 1500 miles because they were crap.
I decided on trying something different. I went with the Continental Road Attack 3 tires and I'm never looking back. As much as I loved the bt series Bridgestones , I like the RA3 better. You can actually feel the road surface. They grip well and they seem to wear as well as the Bridgestone.

The RA3 is a single compound tire. They use different cure times to make softer edges and harder centers instead of dual compounds.
And so far at over 4000 miles on them there is almost no sign of squaring in the center.
They are more money than the Bridgestone tires but worth it IMO.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have ran Michelin,Dunlop,Continentals(didn't like them)and Bridgestone over the years never over 5000 miles on a set.Could be me....

Running Pirelli Angels now which have 4000 on them and still look good..Maybe not as aggressive now that I'm pushing 65000 miles..Looking for a replacement daily rider now but with the reliability of the ZR I will keep it around....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have ran Michelin,Dunlop,Continentals(didn't like them)and Bridgestone over the years never over 5000 miles on a set.Could be me....

Running Pirelli Angels now which have 4000 on them and still look good..Maybe not as aggressive now that I'm pushing 65000 miles..Looking for a replacement daily rider now but with the reliability of the ZR I will keep it around....
Which Continentals have you run?
I currently have the Conti Road Attack 3 on another bike and they are the best ST tires I have ever owned.

·
Registered
z1000 gen 4
28 Posts
good reviews on metzler 7r’s have plus traction and mileage. pirelli rosso corsa 2’s for best grip but wear out a little quicker. I think most of the major tire manufacturers make a pretty decent tire these days compared to how it used to be. I think it depends on personal preference a little bit and maybe ride quality on the motorcycle. Some tires will ride hard and others soft. i usually go for the best sticky tire that my wallet will afford. Two things I never go cheap on are tires and brakes. Those are the two things holding you to the road and I want the best combination possible to avoid an accident.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tires are subjective, just like oil threads. It depend son if you want something more sticky or something you can get more miles out of.

I can't speak to either Perelli as I've never run them.

I've run three sets of ContiMotions on the front and rear of mine and fine they work fine even in the rain and I get a decent amount of mileage ~12,000km on them as well. They also are very reasonably priced.

View attachment 122538 View attachment 122539
Obo, how's the grip in corners with the Conti Motion? And turn-in?
I may go with them. I don't intend any knee dragging but I have some fun sometimes on country backroads and I like blasting around the rotaries in my area.
I love my Conti RA3 but these are less money and I don't want my restore project to get out of control.

I got my valves adjusted (needed all eight shims, LOL) but I'm waiting on a new head cover gasket so I can run the engine and recheck compression.
While im waiting I'm starting on a complete rebuild of the brakes. The fluid came out like maple syrup.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Obo, how's the grip in corners with the Conti Motion? And turn-in?
I may go with them. I don't intend any knee dragging but I have some fun sometimes on country backroads and I like blasting around the rotaries in my area.
I love my Conti RA3 but these are less money and I don't want my restore project to get out of control.

I got my valves adjusted (needed all eight shims, LOL) but I'm waiting on a new head cover gasket so I can run the engine and recheck compression.
While im waiting I'm starting on a complete rebuild of the brakes. The fluid came out like maple syrup.
I'm no GP rider but I like to try and pretend to drag a knee now and then. I'm just as comfortable with them as any other tires I've had. In the end that may be all it is, comfortable. I feel safe on them and they handle fine, so it may be all in my head. Are there stickier tires, certainly. The RA3 are a great tire too, and also designed for a heavier bike (if I recall) I can run RA3's on my Honda but not Motions. The zr7s is a lighter bike with less HP than many others so that helps too. While likely not the best tire, it's definitely a great all rounder. As far as what to choose, that's your gamble. Buy a cheaper contimotion and find you don't like them in the end or buy the ra3's up front and go with what you know. Only by riding a tire can you tell if it will make you happy and work for you. All I (or others) can do is tell you about experiences we've had to help you decide what you want to do. As for turn in they are predictable. My front suspension is only modded with the preloads DIY and new oil and that made a larger difference than tires did, at least for me. If you're redoing your front suspension that will play a giant role over the tires (my opinion.)

Glad you got the valves sorted. Only 8 you say? lol. Were you able to swap any around or did you get to put in 8 new ones? Any of them down to zero clearance?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, my z900 with modded suspension and RA3's is a better bike to pretend I'm Valentino Rossi (when nobody's looking). The 7S will mainly be used for just tooling around.
I enjoy sight seeing and leisurely riding as much as sporty riding so I want a good tire but it doesnt have to be the ultimate.
It's not a commuter bike or touring bike so I doubt it'll ever see rain. I've owned my z900 for going on four years and have never ridden it in the rain.
I'll spend the savings on buying four carburetor holders.

I had three exhaust valves that I couldn't get my .03mm feeler gauge under so I took a guess and figured .000 clearances. Even though I calculated the new shims for a .18mm gap they came out to .12mm. I had to repeat the procedure but only removed the exhaust cam and put in three .05 thinner shims. All the exhaust gaps are now .16, .18,.18,.17 The intake side wound up all around .15

There was only one shim that I could have swapped out of the eight.
I bought a Hot Cams kit with 84 shims for $62 US.
Hopefully the valves have seated and stretched themselves and are happy where they are for a good long time.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
The ContiMotions saw a good share of rain as I usually drove the bike daily to work regardless of weather. The commute was a mix of general surface roads, highway and some twisty sections (part of the reason the ride was so much fun!)

Like you said you have the 900 if you're feeling "frisky." The ZR7/7s is a great all around bike. Not great at any one thing but good at all of it. Mine started out more on the sport side and is now on more of the touring side. Easy enough to swap back by removing some parts and adding back the others (I kept all the take off parts.)

The slow transition - sport, sport tour, tour

I've got 3 sets of hard side cases & 2 top cases depending on my needs. For the side cases the smaller E21's are the daily use but I also have E360's (which can be top or side cases) and E41 keyless. Tops cases are the E260 (daily) and the E450.

What I love about the bike vs the Honda ST1300 I have is it's light and fun and has a relatively huge fuel tank. I've been known to take it off road more than once where I'd never get the ST to go. What it lacks is HP and wind coverage when the cold winter weather hits. That's where the ST surpasses it.

$62 isn't a bad price for a kit with 84 shims.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Obo, Your 7S is really nice. I have my ZRX1200 set up for LD touring. I rode it cross country a few years ago.
I have ordered more parts and Rocky Mountain ATV (who I ordered the parts through) has a call into their warehouse in Kentucky to get me the date codes on the Conti Motions. They are about $165 for the set.

I paid $1450 for the bike and I estimate an additional $1500 to get it up to snuff. So, near $3000 total. LOL. I hope I like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts