RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What air filters are being used?

Has anyone used or is anyone using the K&N KA-0850 reusable air filter?
I saw sh0rtlife and interloper were talking about it in 2012.

KA-0850.jpg

Here's a paper version from ebay:

$_57.JPG

And here's a foam version that is currently on my bike:

$(KGrHqJ,!p4FDdwywsHvBRCU(KsZ8!~~60_57.JPG

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
yeah im using it...it was on the bike when i got it..and ive kept it ......and keep in mind i dont have any of the useual problems or heistations....and my air box is NOT modified..save for a MUCH larger drain hole and brass fitting for a larger drain tube

the only issue ive had with it is the need to replace the seal on it(camper foam tape works better and sticks better anyway)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I use the Emgo (E-Bay pic) Dennis Kirk for $9.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I use a Hiflofiltro air filter. Hiflofiltro: Catalogue

Washable about 10x so they say. About $10 on Amazon.

Almost identical to the factory one.

Z050214bg_HFA2703_2.jpg

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
20150830_112247_resized.jpg Since this thread was brought up by D.F. couple weeks ago, and the post discussing the "possible" oil seepage around the boots, I, (for lack of anything else to do and being as the ZR7 forums kinda dead) figured I would check out my A/F and air box. Well, the Emgo (paper element) in it was pretty bad/dirty (it's out in parking lot dumpster and NOT goin' in just for a pic) so I went and found the old one I had taken out and replaced when I bought the bike 3yrs ago, (unsure if it was stock or aftermarket. See pic) and decided to clean it, re-do the seal with some foam weather striping and install it rather than buy a new Emgo to see if it makes any difference? (Note: FIY Since then, I have installed the "Ivans jet kit", including the air box mod(s) which are 20-1/2"holes and I also cut the snorkel off) Curious if there will be any difference felt between the Emgo paper element vs the oiled type foam filter? Second pic is after cleaning and light re-oiling which is way easier on a yellow foam filter than would be on the dark ones!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
You'd think they'd come up with an oil spray vs having to wet a cloth and dab it on. That's the part that I always wonder about. Is there too much or not enough oil on the danged filter.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always used 3-in-1 oil as a lube. Drip, Drip, Drip then smear it around with finger. Wouldn't a spray lube like WD-40 or Liquid Wrench work?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
on all my dirt bikes i use a spray on for watercraft filters..works good..heck ive used k/n filter oil on foam before as well with good results..tho the watercraft stuff seems to be of better quality and more like that of the oil we used to just pour on and is also way more resiliant to water washing it off....

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I cheated and instead of buying it in a more expensive aerosol form, I transferred the oil into an old Windex spray bottle and "misted" it on. Then I rubbed it/distributed it more evenly with a rag, and let it "absorb/distribute" for about 20min. before installing. I did notice I was able to take the choke/high idle circuit off a bit sooner than normal during "warm-up" before the dreaded 5am Monday morning commute to work but, hard to be certain that filter had any bearing, as morning temps were warmer than usual. (70F). I normally don't get the bike much over 6000RPM, but I did "goose it" up a bit past 8500 in both 2nd & 3rd, and I have to admit, "I'm always impressed with this engines willingness to really "get up'n GO" from 6K till redline! It pulls so strong and smooth, and the sound with the YS3 just makes me smile (even with the DB killer installed) Granted, It's no Busa or ZX14, etc... but for an "old-school" 80's technology air-cooled, carbed KZ750, it runs pretty damn good!!!

Reactions: DaddyFlip

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Your point is completely valid Shortlife. I debated between calling it 70's tech or 80's. Among other things, I considering the holes are still there for points system, etc...but gave it the benefit of "80's tech" designation/description because they at least went to CDI and the "K-Trik" sensor. LOL. As classic designs go, it ranks right up there with the Honda CB series for longevity and reliability IMHO. Not sure which was in production longer, CB750 or KZ750? Either way, while I'm looking for a new bike, I debate if I will even sell my ZR7? Considering how little it's actually worth in todays market of used bikes!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I use the EMGO paper filter. It seems to seal better than the OEM filter, but I can't discern any difference otherwise; just cheap and easier to deal with.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Your point is completely valid Shortlife. I debated between calling it 70's tech or 80's. Among other things, I considering the holes are still there for points system, etc...but gave it the benefit of "80's tech" designation/description because they at least went to CDI and the "K-Trik" sensor. LOL. As classic designs go, it ranks right up there with the Honda CB series for longevity and reliability IMHO. Not sure which was in production longer, CB750 or KZ750? Either way, while I'm looking for a new bike, I debate if I will even sell my ZR7? Considering how little it's actually worth in todays market of used bikes!
I bet it was KZ750 that had the longer run
the CB750 sohc engine ran from 69-78

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is what I got. On the left is what was installed in the bike when I got it. On the right is a Hiflo after some usage. I was wondering if the first one is the factory filter. Looks very similar to the one in carryall picture. I was thinking about getting the K&N but I heard some mechanic say that on dirty/dusty roads it is better to use a regular more restrictive filter than a performance one.

m4rv0p.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed the Hiflofiltro HFA2703 foam. Oiled w 10W30. I’d be interested in the EMGO paper filter, does anyone here have a link or a part number for the ZR-7 EMGO paper filter?

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I just installed the Hiflofiltro HFA2703 foam. Oiled w 10W30. I’d be interested in the EMGO paper filter, does anyone here have a link or a part number for the ZR-7 EMGO paper filter?
I think it's this one... Emgo Air Filter Kawasaki 12-92510 as the OEM number is 11013-1157
I'm not 100% sure as I've never ordered one. I have the hiflofiltro ones.

Reactions: kwillsocal

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had to edit my last post because I had it 100% BACKWARDS.
This past winter I couldn't find anybody with the Hi-Flo so I had to order the Kawasaki OEM filter at like three times the cost of the Hi-Flo. Maybe it was just bad timing. The parts place was using the covid excuse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts