RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So went to Carlisle bike fest today and they had a demo day there and I got there right at opening to secure my spots and did 3 bikes to compare with my 650. Here are my experiences and basic reviews of each. I drove in this order 636 then z1000 then 300.

So lets start with the 636. I started on this today it was a 2013 white with abs and besides its beauty this thing was a force of nature, like a ridding a cheetah. First thing I noticed was the overall height of the bike seemed lower and more light. Then the ridding position just sitting on it I could tell how much different it was gonna be. Now on the road the smoothness of the engine was just beautiful and the way the bike took corners was so agile that it felt natural. I also loved how you feel one with the bike. This thing is a monster and it screams to be pulled hard. Now the things that were not so nice was the fact that after 15 mins of ridding I was wanting off and the rides were 35 mins long. My wrists were shot, I mean omg and my back I hate being hunched over so much. Now don't get me wrong I am 6 foot 170 and I'm in good shape so to ease the wrist pain I used my legs more. That was probably the worst part of the ride, however overall it is a very fun bike but more of like a weekend rider for a fun twisty track.

Next I did the z1000. Now let me start off by saying this bike was just amazing. Just sitting on it I felt at home on my 650, However when it takes off you realize this thing is a monster. The lower range acceleration is so fast and quick it hits hard. Now I loved the power delivery and it was so comfortable, like omg the suspension was super smooth I now understand the difference in suspension. The bike itself was just so comfy and easy to ride I loved it. However there were some drawbacks, like no windshield that's ruff going faster than 60 on a open road, and two the instrument cluster is just down right horrible and the positioning is worse. Now in all that I could see myself upgrading to this in a few years after my 650 and it would be all I need.

Last but not least the 300. Where do I begin, this thing is super light and small I felt like I could lift it like a bench press. The thing I noticed first was from afar it looks very nice however get closer to it and you see why its 5,000 bucks. It lacks a quality appearance and felt very cheap to me. Now when I got on the bike and started to ride It I realized this thing needs alot of revving to get going and I mean I had to crank it and shift alot more. This bike was amazing in the corners tho super easy to throw around and loved the lightness factor to, However I really did not like the suspension I mean it hurt to ride and really just felt sluggish and cheap. Now I see the appeal for a new rider however I would just recommend the 650 over this to start if you plane on ridding 2 up or going on the highway, the thing gets blown around very easy at highway speeds which I did not like. Now if you want something for just city driving the 300 may be for you.

Overall I loved trying these bikes I mean at 35-45 mins each ride on curvy roads and straight always I got a very good feel of them and boy oh boy they all have there pros and cons. However at the end of the day I can say I love my 650 the most its like a perfect balance between sport and supersport, with the z1000 or ninja1000 being the only bike I could see myself ever upgrading to. If you are ever wondering what its like out there on other bikes I hope I gave some insight to this and if not go ride one and see for yourself.

pros and cons;;;;

Pros-
- Amazing handling and suspension is top notch!
- smooth engine power delivery!
- Very nice brakes!
- Looks amazing!
Cons-
-Can get uncomfortable during longer rides!

z1000
Pros-
- Very very comfortable!
- Handling is nice!
- power delivery down low is super fun!
- has a very mean look which I like!
Cons-
- Needs a windshield bad!
- engine comes out far on right side ouch!
- instrument cluster is lacking.

ninja 300-
Pros-
- Very agile and Light!
- Easy to use!
Cons-
- Feels very cheap.
- Power is lacking alot.
- instrument cluster is meh and needs work.
- Suspension is um well I don't think there is one.

I really hope you all enjoy my post thank you!

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
3 different bikes for different purposes and different riders. If I wanted a bike to thrash the little local twisties, I would choose the Ninja 300 SE. There is something about keeping the RPMs up and shifting to keep in the power band. Something you can't really do on the other bikes on the public roads.

Reactions: MarktheShark

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
twowheeladdict, your right there is something incredibly fun about riding a small displacement bike full throttle, redline all the time!:D

Mdsniper7, great write up I enjoyed reading it!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
twowheeladdict, your right there is something incredibly fun about riding a small displacement bike full throttle, redline all the time!:D

Mdsniper7, great write up I enjoyed reading it!
Thanks mark yea first time with a big write up review. Didn't want to sound biased either.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
MDsniper7,

Excellent review, synopsis, and comparison. Perhaps you should be working at a motorcycle magazine and be the Test Rider/Author.

I especially appreciated the "Suspension is um well I don't think there is one".

Well Done, young man!

Cheers

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MDsniper7,

Excellent review, synopsis, and comparison. Perhaps you should be working at a motorcycle magazine and be the Test Rider/Author.

I especially appreciated the "Suspension is um well I don't think there is one".

Well Done, young man!

Cheers
Thank you I will say I now uderstand the whole good and bad suspension

1 - 8 of 8 Posts