RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a black 2008 650R. My riding gear consists of a silver helmet black textile pants a 3/4 length jacket that is mostly red with black details waist length and a black jacket with wide white stripes down each side and the back.

I was told that i wasnt particularly visible from someone who is not all that keen on motorcycling (bumper bait).

I think my gear is pretty standard and besides adding a fluorescent vest and maybe some graphics on my helmet im not sure that im any more or less visible than any other biker out there.

Im considering changing out my headlamps for something brighter

anyone else working at getting visibility from the cagers and what works best ?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
A bright colored helmet is the best way to make yourself more visible. I dont remember the % increase but it is dramatic in increasing visibility in some study that was done. Your head is the highest point on the bike and the first thing that gets seen. So a loud bright color like orange or red would get noticed much better then black.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
if creaturecore is correct buy or make a net that goes over your helmet that has led's (my guess is amber would be best, and on-off)
my experience would say this : you are invisible to the mass of very STUPID people who drive on the same roads as you do, so you have to drive your bike faster and around them, always aware, always leaving them behind as you seek the safety of the open road.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Visibility helps better during times of dusk-dawn / & @ night, in all circumstances you need to treat people in cars like they are not aware of your presence at ALL times, and always be prepared to maneuver out of harms way. That means dont drive beyond the limits of your bike, yourself and your ability to safely maneuver should the situation warrant as much.

Two tips, dont linger next to cars because they can forget your there and might not see you as easily in their mirrors, also at night beware of oncoming / cross traffic at a stop sign, some times I flash my high beams if the situation looks more risky, and cover the horn, as well as leave my self enough room to move out of the way, weaving a little bit can also catch someone's attention.

*its been my experience that accidents happen when both parties are in error or not paying attention.

*Then again a couple weeks ago some douche in their over sized truck missed me by inches while trying to turn in to a gas station, my head light was on, and if they hadnt stopped it would have been very close, as it worked out they only ended up taking half of the opposing lane so I was able to move over just a tad. Treat all cagers like they are completely unaware.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Bright helmet is probably the best bet, in boat racing it is manditory. I had a gentleman pull up nest to me saying he couldn't see me and from looking at the glasses he had on I don't think he could see the sun.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Last year I was hit from behind by a driver who claims he did not see me at all...nevermind the fact he was stopped behind me for about 2 minutes until the light turned green. Black bike, black textile pants, jackets, gloves and helmet was what I wore that day (black everything). After the incident, I wore a bright yellow jacket with black trims, custom stitched additional bright yellow flourescent reflective trims onto my textile pants, added reflective tape designs to the back of my helmet, and added a red reflective octagon shape to the back on my jacket. Do I look stupid? Some have told me Yes and others have honked at me with a thumbs up as they drive past me. One thing is for sure...they are definitely SEEING me MORE.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought a pair of Lockhart Philips dual filament turn signals (3 wire) to use as running lights and signals. 3 wires are ground, running light (constant), and turn signal (switched). I spliced running lights into the tail light (3 wire setup), and ground and turn signals wired up to stock turn signals. This allows me to have 2 extra lights in the back on at all times that flash pretty bright when you signal

Technically illegal, but you know, I'll take a fix it ticket over getting run over.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
red is not a great color in low light.
Take a red object into a darker area and watch how it quicly looks dark grey and then black.
White, Yellow and Kawasaki Green are the best, most visible colors. If you have a trendy black helmet try laying down strips of color down the middle of the helmet.

Ride upright when you see someone ahead who might be making a turn into your path. Staying tucked down decreases your visibility. I've heard recommendations to even rise up on the foot pegs, getting your now-highly visible helmet to be seen by the left-turning distracted driver ahead.

I have found that when I wear my Joe Rocket Kawasaki jacket and green Shoei helmet I get fewer close calls than when I wear my vented black (with silver trim) textile jacket.
Lately I've also been using my high beams when in heavy traffic, especially when I lane split.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Red Light Automotive lighting Lighting Orange

Adding additional lighting goes a long way with helping you be seen. The denali lights on my Versys have really helped with keeping people from pulling out or cutting in front of me. You can get them for the Ninja on twistedthrottle.com

The additional lighting on the saddlebags has really helped keep people off my rear.

I also wear a reflective vest when travelling.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, I slow down and weave back and forth a little (day or night) if someone is going to pull out or turn in front of me.

Here is what I've done (or plan to do):

1. Bought silver helmet. Bought several 1' long ~1 1/2" wide silver/red reflective tape ($1.09) that you see on the side and back of tractor trailers which is highly visible. Cut apart at silver/red line so one piece is silver and other red. Added two silver pieces to the back of my helmet and one on each side. Doesn't look too out of place with the sizes used.

2. Added one 9" red reflective piece to each side of 2009 red fairing. Placed near "V-groove" in the upper part of the fairing so it isn't too visible during the day but reflects well at night from the side.

3. Cut red reflective tape and put two pieces on each side of black sport bag on passenger seat. The red ties the black bag into the color scheme of the red bike and doesn't look out of place. (Will do the same to the tank bag which I'll use on trips.)

4. Put red reflective tape (Pro-Grip?) on both rims. Very reflective.

5. Bought Knight Rider non-sequential dual-intensity 12-LED brake light ($27) at www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm. Need to install but very bright. Flashes 5-6 seconds when applying brakes and then stays on the bright setting until brake is released when it goes back to a running light.

6. Will mount 12-LED light at the bottom of a black license plate frame outlined with black reflective tape ("3M BLACK REFLECTIVE REFLECTOR TAPE Two 4" x 9" Sheets" on Ebay). The tape is completely black but reflective as pure white. Amazing stuff.

7. Fastened license plate with four small red reflectors/bolts from Motorcyclesuperstore.com. ~$2.99.

8. May put a little black reflective tape on black lower portion of fairing. Won't be observable during the day (black on black) but highly visible at night from the side.

9. Will look into iron-on reflective tape for my Carhart pants used in the winter when it's dark in the morning/evening to/from work.

10. Thinking of adding white LED lights to front of bike near the fender (i.e. away from the bright headlight).

11. Replaced front running lights with LED running lights from A1 Sports Bike. Very bright and white.

12. Installed bright headlight bulbs which are whiter (not as white as LED running lights).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Welcome to the bike world, your not going to be seen period, no matter what you add or wear, so wear and do what you like. Learn agresive driving! It is a must for any rider!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Last year I was hit from behind by a driver who claims he did not see me at all...nevermind the fact he was stopped behind me for about 2 minutes until the light turned green. Black bike, black textile pants, jackets, gloves and helmet was what I wore that day (black everything). After the incident, I wore a bright yellow jacket with black trims, custom stitched additional bright yellow flourescent reflective trims onto my textile pants, added reflective tape designs to the back of my helmet, and added a red reflective octagon shape to the back on my jacket. Do I look stupid? Some have told me Yes and others have honked at me with a thumbs up as they drive past me. One thing is for sure...they are definitely SEEING me MORE.
No offense but your an idiot! He was more than at fault and you blame yourself and take action on it. That is funny as hell!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Anyone else see the irony here?

Ayu, I don't think you're an idiot, you're being proactive, trying to avoid the next wreck. There's nothing wrong with getting noticed.

Ayu, do what you need to do.

I see guys all the time who get rid of their turn signals and wonder why people around them don't know they are turning. DOH!

Remember; they give driver licenses to deaf people, but not blind people so more visibility is better than more noise.

·
Registered
516 Posts
No offense but your an idiot! He was more than at fault and you blame yourself and take action on it. That is funny as hell!
Thank you for the confidence /sarcasm off. For that wreck, I got a brand new bike, new gears, and learned a very important lesson. More importantly, I walked away from that wreck with minor aches. I'm a proactive guy and I like to increase my chances of not getting hit from behind again. Even if that increase is a mere 1% that's 1% that I'll live to see sunlight tomorrow. Thank you for your comment.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Welcome to the bike world, your not going to be seen period, no matter what you add or wear, so wear and do what you like. Learn agresive driving! It is a must for any rider!
He never took blame for what happened, he decided instead of being angry at some guy who plowed into him he would make it so its less likely to happen again. And your first post is completely wrong. There is tons you could do to increase visibility.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Welcome to the bike world, your not going to be seen period...
Don't take my word for it. From the Hurt Study:

p14: “high visibility jackets definitely reduces accident involvement”

p48: “in the case of the multiple vehicle collision, it is shown that the driver of the other vehicle is most often the culpable party in the accident by violating the right-of-way of the oncoming motorcycle, usually as a result of a detection failure. ...the significant item is the lack of conspiculty of the motorcycle in traffic. Those factors relating to the lack of conspicuity are investigated in special detail to show the effect of the visibility contribution of the upper torso garment worn by the motorcycle rides.

p78: “For example, only two of the accident involved motorcycle riders were "[w]earing high visibility upper torso garments, e.g., a bright yellow Yamaha jacket. One of the riders was alcohol-involved...” That's 2 out of 900 crashes (.2%).

“The violation of the motorcycle right-of-way by the other vehicle accounted for 64.7% of the multiple vehicle accidents. The failure of the other driver to "see" the motorcycle is the overwhelming part of these accidents.”

I'm still waiting for the Maids study to download, but iirc they say cagers violating right-of-way is down to about 40% of motorcycle wrecks. The difference between the studies would be always-on headlights which increases (say it with me) visibility.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.