RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just denied my first day of riding this year...

I knew that today would be decent for riding to work so I went out last night and checked the bike over, fired it up and let it run for 5 minutes or so.

This morning I go out to start it and I can't get it running...it tries to fire and then pops a white ring out of the pipes. When I experience this with my quad (with a carb), I just drain the bowl on it and get the little bit of water out. I'm not sure how to do that on a fuel injected bike though. I assume that's what the issue is as I see it EVERY spring with my quad.

I meant to put some sta-bil or star-tron in it last fall but didn't. It was packed full of 93 octane gas though.

Short version: Is there a simple way to drain water out of the fuel line or do I start by just pouring in some dry gas?

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
I was just denied my first day of riding this year...

I knew that today would be decent for riding to work so I went out last night and checked the bike over, fired it up and let it run for 5 minutes or so.

This morning I go out to start it and I can't get it running...it tries to fire and then pops a white ring out of the pipes. When I experience this with my quad (with a carb), I just drain the bowl on it and get the little bit of water out. I'm not sure how to do that on a fuel injected bike though. I assume that's what the issue is as I see it EVERY spring with my quad.

I meant to put some sta-bil or star-tron in it last fall but didn't. It was packed full of 93 octane gas though.

Short version: Is there a simple way to drain water out of the fuel line or do I start by just pouring in some dry gas?
Not water, you flooded the ol girl. I always have a fresh set of plugs, just for this problem. Change them out real quick, go ride

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. I'll give it a shot...when I get home from work after driving my cage there.... :sadpace:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
On a similar note, maybe this is a hijack, maybe not but my bike has been harder to start lately. During a day of riding on Sunday I noticed that it got progressively worse as the day went on.

It turns over fine, so doesn't seem like the battery but I won't rule that out. It just takes a bit more to get it started in the morning. After riding, it takes even more, sometimes 2 or 3 tries to catch. After riding a lot, it backfires like a shotgun blast before starting. All this sounds to me like excess fuel accumulating in the system, but not so much that I smell it.

As mentioned elsewhere I'm not adding fuel via the PC3, which makes me think of the spark. Seem likely? The plugs look ok but I haven't checked the gap (on this weekend's list). I also have a set of Speed's plug wires yet to go in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Friend of mine (he has been working with bikes), who helped me to change all brake and clutch lines & fluid asked me if I have changed spark plugs already for coming summer. I was wondering why I should change them as there has not been anything wrong with them. He advice me to always change spark plugs after winter storage, he said that in their shop it happens many times that people take the bike from winter storage and they come back a little later and complains that bike is not working well. - almost every time changing sparks have helped the problem so it may be the same issue with your cases.

BTW, I bought new spark plugs already because of comments by my friend, and they are so cheap that I will change them every spring in future.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You get dpr6ea9?
They cross-reffed that number to get another NGK. Looking at NGK's site I think it's the same thing... the plugs are out in my truck and I'm back at work now.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Was the bike sitting over the winter with a full to the top tank of fuel? Here in the south condensation can build up in the tank if it is not stored full.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Real men just use fingers.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the number he spouted off was 5531, but when he handed me the boxes it said 5531 and dpr6ea-9.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was the bike sitting over the winter with a full to the top tank of fuel? Here in the south condensation can build up in the tank if it is not stored full.
Yes. End of last year I rode to the gas station, packed the tank full and then rode 5 miles home and parked it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts