RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess it was my turn today.

My stupid neighbor's car has leaked engine oil but when riding out of my garage in the apartment basement I have been able to avoid it.
Today, while maneuvering between the oil and a wall while making a turn out of my space (only about 3 feet) I got a little too close to the wall so I slowed down, put my left foot down and it promptly slipped out from underneath me. Bike slooooowly went down on the left side, and the left hand mirror snapped right off at the base. This bike is way too heavy to keep from falling over!

Worse thing was that now I can't get my neutral light to come on, even though I can get into neutral. The bike seemed to start okay, but the shifter is hitting the side stand's nut, so I guess it might be bent...
Will work on it again tomorrow.

Not sure if I should go after my landlord for allowing that big pool of oil for so long. I wonder if I could at least get them to pay for the repairs.

I am searching for info on what could be causing the N light to fail. Anyone have this happen to their bike?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
no, sir, i have not had a similar misfortune.

talking to the landlord might not be a bad idea, and, if you're up to it, you might approach the owner of the car, informing him of your mishap.

glad it wasn't worse for you.

·
Banned
679 Posts
I am searching for info on what could be causing the N light to fail. Anyone have this happen to their bike?
My neutral light was coming on in 3rd/4th/5th gears, so I had it replaced while under warranty but I assume it's the same part that is malfunctioning for you bike. It's difficult to explain but on the left side of your bike near the gear box area there is the switch that regulates your Neutral light. Considering you fell on that side, I assume that's your issue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
is it possible to adjust this switch so that it's easier to not shift into neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd? i find this very ****ing annoying, and the fact that the manufacturing didn't think about this.(while moving over 20mph is should be way harder to shift into neutral)

or is this switch just for the light indicator?

·
Banned
679 Posts
is it possible to adjust this switch so that it's easier to not shift into neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd? i find this very ****ing annoying, and the fact that the manufacturing didn't think about this.(while moving over 20mph is should be way harder to shift into neutral)

Nope, as you said, its specifically an indicator. Unfortunately, to my knowledge (which is minimal on bike mechanics) that technology doesn't exist yet. Although, with these new auto-shifting transmissions on the VFR, maybe that will be next but I don't really think it poses enough of a problem to be addressed, just shift harder lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yea trust me I am.... I get so pissed off at it sometimes that I pound down on my shifter as hard as i can... i don't even care if the ****ing thing comes off.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just low sided the other night on my left side, and my gear shifter is completely torqued. Now after trying a test run the other day i find i cannot shift past 2nd gear, most likely(and i am hoping) because the metal shifter is so twisted.{ordered new one for like 40$, waiting arrival}I can tell you this though, even with a hard impact of a low side, my Neutral light still works, as i can still get into and out of 1 , N, and 2 .

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll talk to my ins agent on Monday to see what I can do.

Has anyone experienced the shifter hitting the side stand bolt? I will be checking the switches tomorrow.
Gotta do whatever I can to avoid the $85/hr labor charges!

I tell you, that point where the bike was beyond the point of no return and headed down is one of the worse feelings you'll have as a bike rider... The next worse feeling is when you realize that your bike is no longer perfect! Jeez!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Not sure if I should go after my landlord for allowing that big pool of oil for so long. I wonder if I could at least get them to pay for the repairs.
In the old days we would have got a rag and some gasoline and cleaned up the oil spill ourselves before it caused a prolem, and not tried to find somebody to pay for the damage if we didn't.

·
Registered
366 Posts
In the old days we would have got a rag and some gasoline and cleaned up the oil spill ourselves before it caused a prolem, and not tried to find somebody to pay for the damage if we didn't.
+1 and some of us old timers still do!

·
Registered
586 Posts
check the connector to the neutral light... just remove the cover protecting the drive sprocket and the neutral indicator connector is there.

As for the shifter lever, just use the muscles you didn't have to hold the bike up and bend the lever back into shape. My GF dropped hers on the brake side and I just pulled on the thing and bent it back.

·
Registered
586 Posts

you need to shift firmly. It's not a car, you don't gently switch gears with a motorcycle transmission.

Lift the lever with your toe like you want to almost break it

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I'm from the modern world... where we don't clean up other people's messes!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I guess I'm from the modern world... where we don't clean up other people's messes!
What they may be saying is if the oil was a problem. Do something about it.

Dont wait until you crash and then try to find someone to pay for your mistake!

Then you come off as a whiny b1tch

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would recommend cleaning up any dangerous slicks. Never know if you or a friend will fall on it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
he has a point. if people don't clean clean up their own mess, why would you expect them to clean up someones else mess. i'm not saying it's the ethical thing to do, but it is how it is :dunno:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For what it's worth, here's a photo of the oil.
And since the car leaks every day ( I HAVE cleaned up the mess before when I swept up after the high winds) there's no way to keep the area safe when the car isn't there.
Landlord knew all about this.
End of story.

·
Registered
366 Posts
New chapter;

You know the oil is there and apparently for some time now.
You get close to the oil anyway.
You get too close to the wall and put your foot down in the oil. Why?
It's too hard to clean up "when the car is not there"?
How do you park your bike when the car is there?
Is that parking spot your neighbor's designated parking spot? If so, why are you in it?
The bike "is way too heavy to hold up". Maybe cleaning the oil everyday will help build up your muscles; consider taking up weight lifting, or like someone else suggested, get a Vespa.
Make sure you sue yourself also for your negligence in the act.

You're from the "modern world"! Is that the world that is lazy, inconsiderate, selfish, and can't take responsibility/accountability for his/her own actions? Chances are that the owner of the car leaking the oil is too; that or he/she just can't afford to have the oil leak fixed.

Simple fact: You made a mistake and it's the fault of no one else. Learn from it and move on with life!:flamethro

End of my chapter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts