RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep put them on and broke the weld on the swing arm spool tab with the left exhaust. It did not break completely jut cracked.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Also take a look at the underside of your "muffler" - you won't be happy...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I found one of my spool holders half broken off. The stange thing, it was knocked down not up?? As my welding guy and I looked at it, we could not figure how it could have taked a hit from the top with the muffler above it. It was still fairly connected to the swing arm and we wrote it off as a fluke. After your post I am not so sure it was a fluke?
Yep put them on and broke the weld on the swing arm spool tab with the left exhaust. It did not break completely jut cracked.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
That's been discussed a lot on here and elsewhere. One person even thought the suspension was bottoming out because they heard the "clunk, clunk" as they bounced on the bike and had the shock re-sprung and re-valved.

Always good to get a reminder in case someone missed it before.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Through another thread I located two brands that fit: (1) bikemaster race spools (which I have on my 11 n1k) (these work well with my pitbull rear stand) and (2) Keiti Mini Swingarm Spools 10mm (didn't take these out of the package).

·
Registered
103 Posts
I found one of my spool holders half broken off. The stange thing, it was knocked down not up?? As my welding guy and I looked at it, we could not figure how it could have taked a hit from the top with the muffler above it. It was still fairly connected to the swing arm and we wrote it off as a fluke. After your post I am not so sure it was a fluke?
I must be missing something. Think of when you sit on the bike and the suspension sags. Notice how the pipe comes towards the swingarm spools from above? Thats why the spools were pushed down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
would have been nice if I had read this thread before I put on the T-Rex-Racing swingarm spools. Attached are some pictures. As you will note, the bracket is now (still) attached to the spool, and no longer attached to the swingarm broken swingarm slider (1).jpg broken swingarm slider (2).jpg broken swingarm slider (3).jpg

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ouch! That's the first I've seem of one completely broken off...

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
dang.. I am no expert welder but a weld should not have broken like that !

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
We've come a LONG way but every once in a while a bad weld still sneaks in there.

·
Registered
506 Posts
i have a stock n1k exhaust for sale if anyone is interested...

Lou

·
Registered
18 Posts
It happened exactly like Masterblaster described at the top of the thread. The stock exhaust hits the spool when the suspension compresses. I have a nice matching dent (small, but still...) on the bottom of the exhaust. The bracket broke 99% free and was hanging. When I saw it and grabbed it it just popped right off. I don't think its a bad weld. It's an issue of leverage. The exhaust hits the end of the spool. Because of the Pauli Exclusion Principle (which NEVER goes away) something has to either bend or break. The leverage puts a lot of force on the weld in a direction it is not engineered to withstand.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I don't think its a bad weld. It's an issue of leverage. .
maybe it is designed that way but a good weld would have burned into the swing arm and tore into it...... it is a good thing it happend that way though

·
Registered
54 Posts
As we're on the subject while your checking the spools dont stick out too far you also want to be careful that the bobbins aren't too close to the swing arm either, otherwise the hooks on your paddock stand can scratch the paint on the swing arm.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Seems to me the best idea is use spools for service and remember to remove them when you are done... at least until you change the exhaust. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
would have been nice if I had read this thread before I put on the T-Rex-Racing swingarm spools. Attached are some pictures. As you will note, the bracket is now (still) attached to the spool, and no longer attached to the swingarm View attachment 55279 View attachment 55280 View attachment 55281
Do you know if this applies to the N1K? I just bought the same spool as TexBrian and I don't want to destroy anything on a brand new bike.

·
Registered
200 Posts
happened to me on my zx10 =(...well the weld didnt break, but it put a nice size dent on my R22 exhaust can...i was pissed when i first found out. Oh well...you live, you learn. Def not using shoegun axle sliders on the Z1000.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts