RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a complete rebuild on a ZR7 engine and need a new crankshaft. Current one has taken a mighty whack and has actually slightly bent the tapered shaft that holds the magnet. Was unaware when I purchased the engine.
These things are not easy to come by in Australia
Knowing the bike community, someone here may have a spare in the garage that they would be willing to sell. I know I have at least 3 sets of Zephyr and ZR7 carbs wrapped up and can only assume there are others like me who hoard all their old stuff waiting for the right time to use it.
The build is ready to commence as soon as the donor crank is located

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Good luck with your rebuild and sourcing!

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
Planning a complete rebuild on a ZR7 engine and need a new crankshaft. Current one has taken a mighty whack and has actually slightly bent the tapered shaft that holds the magnet.
A good machine shop should be able to replace the end of the crank, and lighten and balance the crank while its there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A good machine shop should be able to replace the end of the crank, and lighten and balance the crank while its there.
I had the same thought an contacted the engineer and they were reluctant. That said, I wanted them to do it in situ. Perhaps when I take it out they will have a look

Reactions: Ozninjaguy

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
I had the same thought an contacted the engineer and they were reluctant. That said, I wanted them to do it in situ. Perhaps when I take it out they will have a look
While most machine shops are good with car cranks - maybe look for a motorcycle specific machine shop. They do/did exist when I lived in Oz. Also, a crank out of the motor is much easier to machine - never heard of in-situ machining, and really can't see why that is important. But hey - keep us informed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While most machine shops are good with car cranks - maybe look for a motorcycle specific machine shop. They do/did exist when I lived in Oz. Also, a crank out of the motor is much easier to machine - never heard of in-situ machining, and really can't see why that is important. But hey - keep us informed.
All my machining has always been done by Greg Ball Motorcycle Engineering in Sydney. Wouldn't go anywhere else

1 - 10 of 10 Posts