RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine Needed

Anyone in Australia with an engine to sell, be it spare or otherwise.

Willing to pay actual money!!

Please help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I trashed my engine in a small low side.

Knocked of the advance rotor assembly.

Looking to replace the engine - or at lease the crank - with a ZR7 model, which includes the primary chain tensioner where mine does not.

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,608 Posts
Clone5,

Post Pics urgently, to see if repair if possible. Castings can be repaired, bent crankshaft a little more difficult....

[email protected], ava good day

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Looks about the same as Andre Lalonde's written-off silver ZR7S.

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,608 Posts
gg believes it's repairable.

Parts to replace:

*Bent rotor, ......some forumers may even offer you their old rotor, that has been replaced with an "advancer" unit.

*ignition pick up unit, wiring plugs in externally.

*bracket securing the wiring....you can make this from sheet metal

* housing cover and screws.....longer screws are required.

go to www.kawasaki.com and follow the prompts to seen the spare parts diagrams and look at "Ignition System" , the diagram shows all the parts that you need. These parts are non consumable and may have to come out of Japan, usually a 6 week wait.....if you go to www.bikebandit.com or www.ronayers.com, then you find the US price as a guide to Oz prices.

gg can't see the two screwed holes for securing the pick up unit, they are a blur, they are deep within the housing are they ok?.....this is important

Broken housing simple "magic metal" or similar epoxy repair.

Let's go,

Remove All the damage parts and send a pic, including damaged cover, screws and broken housing piece.

An interesting project

[email protected], ava day

·
Registered
986 Posts
clone5,

I would tend to agree with GG.

The first thing to do is remove the existing rotor bolt and replace it with the longest bolt you can find. Spin the engine over, if the crank is bent the head of the bolt will show it as a wobble.
(In that case forget the repair! :corner )

Check all the threaded bosses for depth, you may be able to tap them deeper and fit longer bolts. If possible (i.e. if there's clearance) fit studs in place of the original bolts.
Dry fit and then remove and cut accurately to length. Then refit with a 'studlok' compund.
This will put less strain on the engine casings, as the studs will apply a constant 'pull' rather than a twisting stress. also you can build up the roken boss around the stud with epoxy metal.

The damaged parts can be used to give you sizes and lengths to achieve the above. If all that proves sucessful, only then do you have to think about shelling out for replacment parts.
I believe you have an ignition advancer fitted, do you still have the original? If so, one less expense !

It certainly appears to be repairable, and if you can get the bike running again it will provide encouragement and reassurance to any other forum members who may have the misfortune of experiencing a righthand lowside.

Keep us posted,
GM in Old South Wales

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been tempted to repair but it would take serious aluminium welding to rebuild what is now on Macquarie Street. I'm not even sure that this casting can be welded.

Of the 2 bolts that hold on the pickup cover - both ripped out from a former indiscretion. I had bodged up some mounts that lasted for years out of JB Weld. That stuff was magic.

The 3 bolts that hold the pickup - may be salvagable by tapping.

Good spotting, the current advancer is a +5 modified by a guy in the US. I still have the OEM though.

GM: I find what you say about the long bolt a great idea and will try that.

I have sourced another crank for $450 but it's from a Zephyr so I have not bought it and will wait to find a ZR7. So in the interim I will not break my old friend up.

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,608 Posts
Clone,

This is all fixable, broken casing is minor/cosmetic.

Please remove all the damaged parts to assess the damage/repairs methods.

Think time/cost.

Repair: 6weeks/parts $300 ....go to those web sites mentioned above for exact cost. gg used 6 year old prices.
Replacement engine: 6months/$3000

over to you.

PS gg was involved with the repair of a bent marine engine camshaft, diameter 6inches, 24feet long....big job, just have to get on with it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found a 2002 model engine for $1100

Need to find out why its bike is being parted out.

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,608 Posts
clone5,

Did you remove those damaged components, so we can see if a temporary/permanent repair is possible?, .....30 minutes work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not yet gg

Bike is offsite at the mo' with 3 weeks until wife pops with #2

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW, just an update to this old thread I found. The bike was in storage for ages and ages. It has now got a ZR7 engine in it and when I went to crank it over noticed that the stator side wobbled. I hoped this was the magnet itself but the crank it bent. I should have tested that years ago and sent it back to the seller but that didn't happen. It has low kms but to bent the crank must have taken a big hit on that LHS cover.
I have recently sourced a new crank which is in the post from the US. The engine looks great and should work fine. Has good compression etc. I have sourced all the new gaskets and seals for the rebuild.
At least once up and running will qualify for historic rego.
In the mean time my old R1 is keeping me moving

Reactions: Ozninjaguy
1 - 17 of 17 Posts