RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbies and surfers- if you are reading this because you are browsing the Cruiser Corner section for Vulcan cruiser stuff, know that there are owners of many of the Vulcan models on here. I think there are people here who have the 500, 800, 900, 1500/1600/1700(?) Classic, Nomad, Voyager, Vaquero and 2000. We just tend to hang out in other areas of the forum. Don't let that stop you from asking about them or posting about yours. I don't know about the others but I check back here occasionally. Also, if you do post, include something model specific in the thread title, like "Vulcan 2000 so and so", and the rest of us will see it when we search for new posts.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Vulcan 750's too. They were made for over 20 years, from 1985 thru 2006. My son just got a 1996 model a few months back. One hellava fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info. Diamond Jim I ride a vulcan nomad 1700 and was not sure if there were others on this forum or not. It can be a little confusing here.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Hey ballbreaker. I had an '09 nomad, and still have a 1700 Voyager. Most of recruiter discussion comes from mean streak owners, but there are a few who added or moved on to other cruisers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This site doesn't seem to get much traffic- I used to hang out on another Kawi forum, but it was blocked, so I came here. I have an '04 Nomad 1500, 60k miles, with the big three mods; air box, fuel controller, and debaffled pipes. It runs like a scalded dog, but has recently begun to have charging issues, unable to keep the battery up. I ride for 90 minutes, shut off the bike, come back, and it won't start. The alternator puts out, but it's weak. I'm cleaning connections and am going to reduce the spot lights from 35 watts to 25. If that doesn't get it, I might start looking at Gold Wings. I also have a '93 Honda Nighthawk 750 as a town bike, stock but for the modded exhaust. Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Without any real evidence, this sounds a LOT like a battery going bad.
What exactly leads you to believe that the alternator isn't charging enough ??
Because at idle, voltage shows 12.2, but rises as RPM increases to 13.8. I have to be cooking it at 70 in 3rd gear to get 14 volts. No tach. On Saturday I took it down to the beach and back, about 40 mi., shut it off, waited about 40 minutes, and it started right back up, but I'm going to do that four or five times before I believe. This is the second replaced battery. Yuasa.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
12.2 at idle does not sound good. That is just the battery with no charging system help.

I have some Vulcan/Mean Streak info for you guys...lol Some of those bikes come with a recall filter housing that is not meant to be replaced...lol

I guess they had some problems with those bikes splitting oil filters so they built a super strong oil filter housing with a replaceable filter element.

Wish I had known all of that before I worked so hard to get the base of the oil filter off and destroyed it in the process.

If your oil filter has a 19mm nut on it, instead of a common 17mm nut, then you have the recall filter. You spin the housing off of the base, leave the base alone, and just change out the oil filter element. It is much more of aPITA than a normal oil filter change to be honest.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Because at idle, voltage shows 12.2, but rises as RPM increases to 13.8. I have to be cooking it at 70 in 3rd gear to get 14 volts.

This is the second replaced battery. Yuasa.
Now the real detective work begins.
Have you added any non-stock extra lights or other electrical accessories ?

Check to be sure the stop light is not stuck on all the time.

Make sure your idle speed is up to spec. This is NOT a Hardley and should not lope at idle.

All of your other readings are perfectly good. Modern regulators don't go over 14 much......or ever.

Over how long a period were those batteries replaced ?

And since it's not in your profile, where do you live?
Was the "new" battery left sitting over the winter months with out use or charging?
Was it manually charged before being installled ??

It is possible that you have a stator or R/R problem but at this point I think not.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Your a better man than me Easy :) 12.2 at idle makes me think bad R/R or a crap leg on the Stator.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Most likely that the 12.2 is the voltage of the weak battery and the charging system is putting out ZIP at that point.
Increasing the idle speed up to spec. and manually charging the battery again might cure the whole problem.

P.S. Harleys are NOT designed to lope at idle either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now the real detective work begins.
Have you added any non-stock extra lights or other electrical accessories ?

Check to be sure the stop light is not stuck on all the time.

Make sure your idle speed is up to spec. This is NOT a Hardley and should not lope at idle.

All of your other readings are perfectly good. Modern regulators don't go over 14 much......or ever.

Over how long a period were those batteries replaced ?

And since it's not in your profile, where do you live?
Was the "new" battery left sitting over the winter months with out use or charging?
Was it manually charged before being installled ??

It is possible that you have a stator or R/R problem but at this point I think not.
I've cleaned the battery posts and the negative connection on the block. I have my multi-meter in the tank pouch, 'gator clipped to the battery to monitor voltage. It had driving lights when I got it. It had 25 watt bulbs in there, but when they died, I couldn't find 25, so went with 75, which blew the fuse. Found some 35 watt bulbs, had them in them for a few years with no problems, but I did put a 15 amp fuse in the taillight circuit. I'm going to go back to 25 watts. I've read on other forums that under-charging alternators are pretty common on bikes, especially Kawi cruisers. I want to pull the side cover off and look at the connections, and clean to starter cable connections, but I have to move the radiator to get it. Ahh, the joys of mechanical things!! BTW, I've filled out the personal info page. Thanks for the replies.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Nice reply.

But you did not address the most important points:
Is your idle speed up where it should be?
And
How old is the current battery ?

And why would you over-fuse the tail light circuit ? That doesn't sound right at all.

Yes, many owners find that two extra 35's is too much but what are the readings with those extra lights OUT ??

And finally, what other owners report about their charging doesn't really apply to YOU unless the circumstances are identical......and they probably aren't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice reply.

But you did not address the most important points:
Is your idle speed up where it should be?
And
How old is the current battery ?

And why would you over-fuse the tail light circuit ? That doesn't sound right at all.

Yes, many owners find that two extra 35's is too much but what are the readings with those extra lights OUT ??

And finally, what other owners report about their charging doesn't really apply to YOU unless the circumstances are identical......and they probably aren't.
Idle speed sounds about right, not too slow, not too fast. No tach.
The battery was replaced in January this year, and replaced again in March.
On the first day of a multi-day ride someone told me my tail lights were out. Checked the fuse, the ten amp was blown, all I had was a 15. All agreed 15 was within the safety margin, so I put that in to get going, and the same fuse is still in there.
The alt readings are with the driving lights off. One was out, so I turned the other one off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, the time has come, I think. I've got the seven-year itch, and am looking at a Yamaha FJR1300, so a the Kawi will be going on the block.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 07 vulcan 900 custom and having problems it bogs down at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle I've cleaned the injectors added high octane gas ...seafoam new plugs wires and coils sometimes when I first start it i can jump on and have full throttle then it will start to bog down after a few min .....please help I'm at my wits end

1 - 16 of 16 Posts