RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First attempt put the headlight too far forward and exposed the neck too much. Revising the design but I've been in rough shape from my surgery so not much progress. Waiting on a sander to show up to get my angles perfect for welding, will post pics when I get it in.

Things you need:
1.5" steel, 1/8" thick
2.5-3" steel, 1/8" thick
Drill and bits
socket set and ratchet
VTX headlight stock bracket

Attempt #2. I finally finished.
1) I cut a flat piece of the 1.5 steel and rounded the edges a bit. Then clearance it for the steering neck.

2) Took the 2.5" piece of steel and cut 2 tabs at a 45 degree angle to be welded on to the base. If you had to do it without welding you could do it with angle iron but there'd be a lot more cutting/trimming and it'd be tight quarters to bolt it all together.

3) Take the original vtx bracket and cut the back ears off. I then flipped it backwards from its original orientation. The crosspiece on it will get too close to the lower triple tree, flipped backward you don't have that issue.

4) I then welded the trimmed vtx bracket inbetween the 2 welded tabs.
Here's what the bracket ended up looking like.

And on the bike:

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't mean to rain on your parade but it can be done much simpler than that with a modified bracket and the VTX mounting bracket.

The horizontal wing type bracket lines up and mounts to the stock holes on the bike. The protruding vertical bracket is the VTX bracket which had it's horizontal legs cut off. The two were then welded together to form as one. The end results will look like the attached photo and a very clean stock looking part.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once I finish you won't notice it, as I said there's a lot of trimming to do. Also, I am keeping all stock parts so they can either be sold or put back on the bike and I can sell the VTX headlight. Plus I'm bored and can't ride because of major surgery I just had so this keeps me in the garage and stops me from going stir crazy.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Once I finish you won't notice it, as I said there's a lot of trimming to do. Also, I am keeping all stock parts so they can either be sold or put back on the bike and I can sell the VTX headlight. Plus I'm bored and can't ride because of major surgery I just had so this keeps me in the garage and stops me from going stir crazy.
I know what you mean! I had back surgery in August and have been going crazy since. Also trying to find small things to do to keep me busy......

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I can't lift anything over 10lbs for 6 weeks and bending down or twisting my torso is agony. For whatever reason the doctor believes that riding may involve balancing a bike that weighs more than that and pull staples out of my insides. What a quack.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm in the same boat. No lifting, twisting, leaning over...... sux for sure! Got on the bike for a real short ride last weekend, but won't do that again for a while.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done. Now I'm thinking maybe painting the back bucket flat black like the original one...?

Either way it can wait until this winter.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Damn that head light is sexy!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Razz....know what you're goin' through the surgeries...I have had more convoluted joint issues than a million mile camel. I may have to have my left shoulder replaced now.....thank Godd for V.A. medical. I hope you get well by spring and summer. I like the ideas and creations you guys throw around for light brackets. They look clean and hide away nice. Look easy to make. Interesting too is the chrome addition of that said lamp to your ride being the dark S.E. and all. But it works. I am wanting a black one on my '02. Seems there might be a zillion choices out there on lighting.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Considering Tricare has crippled me for life with chronic joint pain I'm less impressed and don't sing their praises.

But yeah the bracket isn't hard to make for getting a custom headlight. Any H4 will hook right up.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Great, now i have to scour ebay for a VTX headlight! Haha, that's ok, it's still winter, plenty of time for adding things :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ugh! No luck finding one yet lol. They look awesome though, definitely a mod worth doing. Looks fantastic.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Theres an aftermarket headlight on E-Bay that looks VERY similar to the VTX
for a decent price if your really impatient. I almost bought one. Give it a look..

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks Stream! But right after i posted this someone texted me back from out of state and we agreed on a decent price for the whole shot. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Streak....that light looks real good on your ride..much cooler than stock. Did you guys order those honda lights new from a dealer or website o.e.m.? Or did you go to a bike wrecking yard or ebay? I might be interested in putting one of those on....building the bracket look easy. Very nice look.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had ordered the whole thing, watched ebay for a month and never found one that wasn't rashed from going down. I think I got it from cheapcycleparts.com but its been a while now. The other option is to join a vtx forum and find someone who replaced theirs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts