RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am thinking about buying some vinyl and installing it on my bike. Has anyone tried it before? I have had some experience with Vinyl and it doesn't work so well around deep curves (such those on the upper fairings). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The guy's at the sign shops make it easy. However with mistakes comes wisdom. Does the company supplying offer any tool requirements? And how big are the pieces?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do you up a 50-50 water alcohol, water mix to keep the vinyl moveable on what you are applying it on. Use a hair dryer to help form it around the curves. A soft plastic squeege (sp) will help form it better and remove bubbles.
There are a few good vids on line to help teach.
Practice makes percict.
Take your time and be ready to redo it a second time.
Good luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yep.
But a LOT of work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy's at the sign shops make it easy. However with mistakes comes wisdom. Does the company supplying offer any tool requirements? And how big are the pieces?
I am thinking about using matte black or some sort of "exotic" vinyl finish.
Most of the time they come in 24" x 12" * N, where N is how many feet you want.

Requirements... uncertain, anything I should look out for?

I just want to install it without having to cut it into pieces or have any slits for the curvature.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use a slip solution of water and Johnsons Baby Shampoo... The water/alcohol I use ONLY to secure the edges when the piece is in place... it flushes out the soap mixture so the edges stick faster.

The water/shampoo mixture is much more forgiving for installs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you guys know of any places (internet and local (lowes, home depot)) that sell cheap vinyl to mess around with? I want to get used to applying vinyl so when I get my rather expensive stuff, I won't mess up.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you are wanting "practice" material...
ebay has some good deals.
Most of the stuff is at the later part of its shelf life and they are just getting rid of it.
Or, it is the drop off strips from former jobs.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I went through www.vinyldisorder.com for my reflective vinyl....

A squirt bottle full of water and three drops of palm olive dish soap did the trick... use a heat gun or hair dryer on high once they are set.... I didn't do this step and have bubbles in it. for the bigger curves it was just easier to cut to fit.

·
Registered
699 Posts
On my 250R, I just used some water in a spray bottle with a couple of drops of dish washing liquid too, but I didn't use a hair dryer either!! I had lots of fiddley little bits to lay down right, so the water helped!!

This is my next tattoo as well!!!:agree:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Word of caution...

If you use a PLASTIC SQUEGEE to install any vinyl (most kits will come with them) Use something SOFT like a microfiber cloth, or some use the LOOP half of a strip of velcro to cover the plastic edge of the sqegee. If you dont, you will certainly scratch the soft vinyl surface and your paint. They will be shallow surface scratches, but it will look like POO.

There are a lot of good tips and techniques that you should know before laying waste to your vinyl AND your paint.

FYI.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's what I did with mine. It's reflective black vinyl, but since these pics are with my sh1tty iphone camera I don't have a flash to really show it off. She's definitely a head-turner now, I was unsure of how I would like the end result (not normally a fan of graphics), but imo it's very sleek!

Before application:

After:

My ex is coming over soon, so I'll see if she can bring her digi and snap some pics with the flash. Depending on the angle you look at the bike, you can see the reflectivity, but there's nothing like a true flash to bring it out. I'll post it up as soon as I get it!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very Nice Leg of Tape!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Flash pics, as promised :alcy:

And an obligatory glamor shot :bling:

Hope you guys enjoi, and hopefully I've inspired a few to get off the couch and CUSTOMIZE :bud:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts