RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a 2006 650r with 5,700 miles four days ago for my first bike. I rode about 100 miles with out noticing vibrations in my hand and feet( not sure if i over looked it due to excitment for getting the bike). The last 100 miles have ended with my hands and feet having a numb tingling sensation. I this vibration normal or did something change with the bike to make this start happening.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
The level of vibration and how you feel that vibration is very subjective. All parallel twins have some vibration. If it makes your gloved hands and properly booted feet feel numb then the bike might need some maintenance.

Finding out when the vibration happens will help isolate the cause. Worse or not when moving? Worse or not when moving and clutch lever pulled in? When sitting at idle and applying some throttle? etc.

Making sure all fasteners are snug, synching the throttle bodies, balancing the tires, etc.

Also keeping a light grip on the bars, and having the balls of the foot on the pegs can make a difference in getting numb.

I put over 14,000 miles on my Ninja 650R and never had my hands or feet go numb. I could notice a slight vibration in both when I thought about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response. occurs while sitting still and reconfigure the engine to 4k and also occurrs while riding. it starts at about 4k and gets a little worse until about 7k were it seems to stay the same but the vibrations don't stop. if I pull in the Clutch an left of the gas while in the interstate they do stop. I plan in taking it to the shop this week to get an oil change and have the check everything out. I'm assuming they have a maintenance package where they check nuts, bolts, throttle sync, engine timing, ect. I hoping that will reduce the vibrations some and that nothing major is wrong with the engine or bike.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I get vibration as well, it is very subjective. Seeing as you just got the bike, it's a very good idea to either check it out yourself (if you feel comfortable) or pay an experienced person to do so. See how she goes after a good check up!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Kshnoski your name isn't Kyle is it?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Like twowheel said above, it is a parallel twin and they do vibrate. Probably nothing wrong with your bike. You can try different grips or put foam sleeves over your grips (I did the later and it helps). Or try not to lean so hard against the bars (less vibration will be transferred to your hands), or a looser grip or maybe try some bar risers. Even the amount of padding in your gloves makes a difference.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
If you want to experience vibration come use my gas powered line trimmer for an hour. I wear very thick leather winter gloves when I weed eat.

Let us know how the checkup goes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I even notice a difference when i'm wearing short gloves vs full gauntlets. I can go an hour w/the gauntlets, about a half with short gloves before I get numb. Gel grips and bar-end weights are deff on the mod list. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've put about 11k on my bike in the 3 or so years I've owned it. I've noticed that my right hand will go numb when I'm wearing thinner summer gloves, but I don't have any problems with numbness when I'm wearing a thicker glove.

I've tried a bar snake (dense rubber tube that goes inside your handlebars), new grips, and new bar ends and noticed a little bit of vibration reduction. But as said, it's a twin. Just be glad it's not a Harley.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts