RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2016 versys 650 LT. When I got it home I noticed that the preload adjuster does nothing when turning it. Anyone had this problem? The dealer I bought it from is an 8.5 hour drive and I hate to let any dealer work on my bikes. Does anyone know how to fill and bleed these? The shock is easy enough to remove to work on it. I will have a local dealer look at it, but I'm reluctant to let them do the repair.

Thanks for any help!

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
You say shock so I assume you're talking about rear suspension. When you adjust it you should feel clicks. I don't have a Versys, so I don't know the number of clicks generally per turn but usually it's more than one. I would say any less than 1 click per rotation would be very odd. For example, my bike's rebound damping adjusters click 2 times per rotation. You're might be similar. The click should be positive (you feel it "click") and audible in a quiet environment.

If you're not feeling clicks it's probably broken. If you can rotate the adjuster 5 times and hit no clicks it's broken/not working correctly. Factory setting is one click from counter-clockwise. So if you grabbed a screwdriver and started twisting away especially counterclockwise you probably broke it yourself. It's very easy to break these adjusters, probably with a 5 ft lbs you can force it beyond it's intended points.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
The '16 Versys has a remote adjuster to add preload to the shock. When you say it does nothing, what were you expecting it to do?

The bike probably started with no additional preload which means it is set up for a 150 lb load if it is like all my other Kawasaki's were.

You crank the preload adjuster clockwise to add preload. You should see the rear of the bike slowly rising. If this doesn't happen, you should check the connections between the adjuster and the shock.

Is the adjuster very easy to spin clockwise? Or does it take some effort? Did you spin it counterclockwise beyond where it should go first?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the rear shock preload. When you turn the knob there is not much resistance and it only clicks a couple times. I should be able to see it compressing the spring as I turn it in, but it doesn't. It's like there is no fluid in it or air in the system. I've ordered service manual. Does anyone know the procedure for filling it and what type of fluid goes in it? There appears to be a bleeder screw on top of the shock near the hose that goes into it. I'll talk with a local dealer about it Monday to see what they say. It looks easy to remove the shock and preload adjuster to work on it. I don't know if a dealer would let me swap it with a new or if they will insist on doing the work??

·
Registered
8,693 Posts

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I would think Kawasaki would send a new shock assembly for the dealer to install.

If they try to give you crap about not buying it there, tell them it is a Kawasaki warranty, not a dealer warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right on the Kawasaki warranty and here I had to drive 8.5 hours to WV to buy it. No one would come close in pricing in my area. Wouldn't you know it, I've got a warranty issue. I'm hoping after looking at my bike, they will let me remove the shock vs them having my bike for who knows how long. I'd much rather do the work my self.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on my preload issue:
In this case it is totally my error. The book says not to turn it too hard at the end or beginning of the adjustment range. I was being too easy on it. After about 3/4 turns it get tougher to turn and I get a full 24 clicks and it compresses the spring. My bad! Measuring my spring at the longest length it measure 6 10/16". After 24 clicks it measures 6 5/16".
Thanks all for your help, but it was me that needed corrected.........Pilot error again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is the rear shock preload. When you turn the knob there is not much resistance and it only clicks a couple times. I should be able to see it compressing the spring as I turn it in, but it doesn't. It's like there is no fluid in it or air in the system. I've ordered service manual. Does anyone know the procedure for filling it and what type of fluid goes in it? There appears to be a bleeder screw on top of the shock near the hose that goes into it. I'll talk with a local dealer about it Monday to see what they say. It looks easy to remove the shock and preload adjuster to work on it. I don't know if a dealer would let me swap it with a new or if they will insist on doing the work??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts