RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between the 2 bikes. I love the look and handling of the versys over the Suzuki. I just need/want it to be comfortable for 500 mile days on the highway. any comments. I am buying this bike for comfort before performance.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
You don't say what year Strom. Obviously, there will be a little more get up and go with the 1000. Ride them both, and then decide. If you can't get a test ride and are going to buy one or the other anyway, sit on each one in the showroom and pretend you are riding. Manipulate the controls, levers, etc. Look at the maintenance schedule for each. Get an insurance quote on each.

Good luck.

Reactions: Ivabign

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking at a 2016 Versys 650 lt vs a 2014 Vstrom 1000 ABS. I just worry the 650 will seem busy at 80mph for miles on end. I have always preferred torque over hp. the local dealers do not have a versys available for test ride and all they have are black news and I would only want the orange one. The Suzuki has a 2000.00 rebate that is over 3/31 that makes it only 600.00 more than the versus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SO.... what did you end up getting?? The 2014 Vstrom ABS or 2016 Versys?? I ask because I was battling the same question and ended up getting a 2014 Versys 650 ABS in beautiful green and black. It's very happy at 70 and 75 on the highway spinning around 5K. I don't often cruise in the 80's, but when I'm there passing it always seems to have plenty more. Overall pretty happy with it. I will admit price drove the decision in the end, just too good a deal to pass up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I found a new, 2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1000 for under 10k out the door including tax, tags, etc. If I would have found an orange 650lt before the 1000 deal came along I would have gotten it. There were none within 100 miles. Only the flat black one. The vstrom 1000 is great. I found the factory bags, handguards, and belly pan and touring shield all for 800 new. Take offs from the ADV model, on eBay. It is not fair to compare the 1000 vstrom to the 650 vstrom. Obviously more powerful, but suspension and brakes are top of the line compared to the 650. I think I would, all things considered, get the Versys 650 over the Vstrom 650 if prices were similar, but the Versys is such a great package deal.

SO.... what did you end up getting?? The 2014 Vstrom ABS or 2016 Versys?? I ask because I was battling the same question and ended up getting a 2014 Versys 650 ABS in beautiful green and black. It's very happy at 70 and 75 on the highway spinning around 5K. I don't often cruise in the 80's, but when I'm there passing it always seems to have plenty more. Overall pretty happy with it. I will admit price drove the decision in the end, just too good a deal to pass up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts