RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks,

my valve clearances were interesting...intake were all right within spec .107mm- .127mm..all the exhaust valves were tight..between 0 (couldnt measure) and 0.051mm...

so i pulled the exhaust cam and pulle the shims. it was a pain to get the chain tensioner thingy out of the back of the block until i ran to sears to get the correct 1/4" rachet.

i hope my timing is ok. i guess i can check it when i put it all back together...

main question:

my valve shims have wierd numbers on them...

2375 2425 2325 and one has no numbers on them. these dont match up with the numbers in the manual...wierd. i plan to measure the shims with a micrometer anyhow, but i am curious why they dont match up.

this is a fun project. i hope i dont break my new bike! hehe..thanks for any feedback.

Joe

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Yup! Those are weird. Dunno. But if you can get your hands on a set of calipers you can measure them. I didn't trust the numbers of the ones I took out that had numbers on them. I had the parts guy mic them all just to make sure.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
As far as the timing, as long as the marks are lined up and you have the correct amount of links in between the cam marks, it should be fine.

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
Regarding the numbering on the valve shims ie 2375, 2425 and 2325, I would suggest they represent the shim thickness in millimetres which would then be 2.375, 2.425 and 2.325 mms. These shims are close in the sizes shown in the spare parts manuel, which can be viewed www.kawasaki.com "buykawasaki"

When you measure the shims compare the thicknesses with the with the numbers on the shims.

I would recommend anyone who is doing service work on their bikes to purchase a vernier caliper, they have a wider range than micrometers, they are slightly harder to read, but once you have acquired the nack it is not a problem, I use them regularly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
graeme, you are correct. the numbers do correspond to their thickness in mm.

2425 is 2.425 mm. I finally got all the shims and will bolt it all together and check my clearance with the new shims as well as the cam timing tonite. I am expecting to have to readjust the shims...but who knows i might get lucky...

The one that had no numbers on it actually did have numbers. but they could only be seen in a certain light.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts