RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Anyone every had their valves checked on their Z ? Out of curiosity I asked for a estimate cost and was quoted around $1,200. I’ve had it from 9,000 miles to 33,000 miles now and not a noise from the motor and still runs strong as ever. Didn’t know how many of you guys are doing this and if you had any issues not doing it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not doing it your asking for problems mine was still in spec when checked at 24,000 km. but needed shims on 3 valves at 48,000 and on others ever since. I do mine myself. So save some money there's a thread here about doing it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a valve job done on my 03 Z1K a few months ago and it cost $400-$500 at a repair shop and not a dealership. $1,200 is an insane amount for a naked bike like the Z. I would check around with other shops if I were you. I can do basic maint. myself but a valve job is a little too much. I need to take some motorcycle mechanic courses so I can do more maint. myself and save the $.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's a pretty easy job can be done in a couple hours. Getting the middle coils out is the toughest part lol. Bet it's definitely a need to do maintenance. I checked mine when I did my 1000 upgrade and all but 1 valve was way out of tolerance after 13k miles

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is a rather important adjustment valves wear and so do valve seats causing the valve to tighten up against the cam <--(more wear here as a result) and possibly the valve not seating, causing it to burn or leak then burn, not a good thing. You're not just affecting one little thing with this, dropped valves can write off an engine. I do mine religiously every 24,000 km./15,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts