RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New bike to me came with V&H Big Shots. These things are LOUD. Too loud for me, that is. I looked up the pipe and there does not appear to be any baffles. There is an insert with "ridges" of metal that lines the inside of each pipe (what you would see on any perforated baffle), but there is no end cap as I would expect for a true baffle. The air doesn't pass through these perforations, only over them.

Is that what is considered a "no baffle option" for these pipes (no. 18285)? Or this is just how the pipes come?

I see that V&H makes a "quite baffle" and have read in other threads that this will quiet them down a little, but really just changes the tone. True? Any suggestions on any other baffles that may actually reduce the noise level that any have installed on these or other V&H pipes? I preferred tried-and-true methods of others rather than trial and error with my wallet.

It looks like this sleeve can be removed like any baffle. Remove the heat shield and there is a small nut/bolt anchoring this sleeve to the pipe. I'm assuming a lot of lubricant and a slide-hammer should do the job (finding something to grab might be another issue...). This the best way to get that sleeve/baffle out?

Thanks in advance....more questions to come!

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
New bike to me came with V&H Big Shots. These things are LOUD. Too loud for me, that is. I looked up the pipe and there does not appear to be any baffles. There is an insert with "ridges" of metal that lines the inside of each pipe (what you would see on any perforated baffle), but there is no end cap as I would expect for a true baffle. The air doesn't pass through these perforations, only over them.

Is that what is considered a "no baffle option" for these pipes (no. 18285)? Or this is just how the pipes come?

I see that V&H makes a "quite baffle" and have read in other threads that this will quiet them down a little, but really just changes the tone. True? Any suggestions on any other baffles that may actually reduce the noise level that any have installed on these or other V&H pipes? I preferred tried-and-true methods of others rather than trial and error with my wallet.

It looks like this sleeve can be removed like any baffle. Remove the heat shield and there is a small nut/bolt anchoring this sleeve to the pipe. I'm assuming a lot of lubricant and a slide-hammer should do the job (finding something to grab might be another issue...). This the best way to get that sleeve/baffle out?

Thanks in advance....more questions to come!
That is the baffle. Now you can get different size baffles. IE. 2", 1.75". If they are too loud with that baffle you have, it may be the 2" but to me and most loud is good , save your butt with the cagers. You will get used to it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I kinda figured this was how they came. Just checking to see if the PO drilled the end caps. After looking at them again, I should have known better as a cap on that design would not make sense. Probably just going to get the V&H quiet baffles (2"). Probably as quiet as it will make them compared to any other aftermarket type without starting to restrict the flow. Would seem a shame to swap out a nice high quality exhaust that I didn't have to buy outright.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Thanks. I kinda figured this was how they came. Just checking to see if the PO drilled the end caps. After looking at them again, I should have known better as a cap on that design would not make sense. Probably just going to get the V&H quiet baffles (2"). Probably as quiet as it will make them compared to any other aftermarket type without starting to restrict the flow. Would seem a shame to swap out a nice high quality exhaust that I didn't have to buy outright.
Yea, those are top of the line pipes. The quiet baffles just may be the ticket for your taste.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I'm curious ccm, what kind of helmet do you wear if any? I run the same pipes switched them out from Samson Warlords with baffles and I thought, "Man these are a bit quieter than my old pipes". I like the tone, design, performance and quality enough so they're a permanent fixture. But, unless i jump on it they have a very moderate noise level.

They do seem louder with my full face than my skid lid. Seems to capture more motor and exhaust noise in the helmet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious ccm, what kind of helmet do you wear if any? I run the same pipes switched them out from Samson Warlords with baffles and I thought, "Man these are a bit quieter than my old pipes". I like the tone, design, performance and quality enough so they're a permanent fixture. But, unless i jump on it they have a very moderate noise level.

They do seem louder with my full face than my skid lid. Seems to capture more motor and exhaust noise in the helmet.
I wear a full-face (HJC RPHA 10 with a chin curtain), or a 3/4 (Fulmer V2). The sound is much louder when wearing my full-face, but that is true when riding any of my bikes with the full-face (shield up or down). However, with the big shots I have to wear ear plugs when wearing my full face helmet...it's extremely loud - too me anyway. Loudest pipes I've ever had. With the 3/4 helmet, it's loud but ear plugs aren't really needed (although I would wear them on long rides). The day I purchased the bike I had to ride it home about 100 miles. I brought my full-face. I had to stop at the first drug store I could find to get ear plugs. I found it painfully loud.

I will be purchasing the quiet baffles. I'm hoping they help - from the clips I've listened too I'm pretty sure they will because they seem to get rid of the raspy, nasty part of the noise. But I still expect to wear plugs when wearing a full-face. I should note, I'm 50 and I've tortured my ears over the years, so my hearing sensitivity has decreased. According to my wife, I'm damn-near deaf.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Only 50? your younger than many of us round here. It's all good, I have no idea what baffles are in mine.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
I wear a full-face (HJC RPHA 10 with a chin curtain), or a 3/4 (Fulmer V2). The sound is much louder when wearing my full-face, but that is true when riding any of my bikes with the full-face (shield up or down). However, with the big shots I have to wear ear plugs when wearing my full face helmet...it's extremely loud - too me anyway. Loudest pipes I've ever had. With the 3/4 helmet, it's loud but ear plugs aren't really needed (although I would wear them on long rides). The day I purchased the bike I had to ride it home about 100 miles. I brought my full-face. I had to stop at the first drug store I could find to get ear plugs. I found it painfully loud.

I will be purchasing the quiet baffles. I'm hoping they help - from the clips I've listened too I'm pretty sure they will because they seem to get rid of the raspy, nasty part of the noise. But I still expect to wear plugs when wearing a full-face. I should note, I'm 50 and I've tortured my ears over the years, so my hearing sensitivity has decreased. According to my wife, I'm damn-near deaf.

fwiw, this why I do not like wearing my full face or 3/4 helmet. I hear every little nuance of the bike, although I like em loud and obnoxious , but that just me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Heck, that Harley payer forer down the street is still jealous of the sound of the meanie.

·
Registered
644 Posts
@ccm have you considered wrapping the baffles? I know on my old Yami I had to Repack/wrap my baffles every so often, cant see why that wouldn't work here.
likely don't have enough room around it for more than one layer of wrap and then still struggle to get them in without having it all slide down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "no baffle" baffles are straight through are they not? I poked a stick up there and there is no end cap like on the "quiet baffle" optional inserts. Those are wrapped. If I wrapped the current ones I think it would only make it louder as what little air gets behind the perforations along the wall now would be eliminated. It would pretty much act like a straight drag pipe. That would not be the sound I'm looking for!

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
The "no baffle" baffles are straight through are they not? I poked a stick up there and there is no end cap like on the "quiet baffle" optional inserts. Those are wrapped. If I wrapped the current ones I think it would only make it louder as what little air gets behind the perforations along the wall now would be eliminated. It would pretty much act like a straight drag pipe. That would not be the sound I'm looking for!
The packing absorbs the sound

·
Registered
266 Posts
I installed the smartpartz quiet baffles in mine. They do get rid of the "harshness" but are still quite loud. I have always been tempted to try a set of V&H.
Dean

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This was the best video/audio clip I found that compared V&H pipes (not big shots) with no baffle, the "open" stock baffle and the quiet baffle. The comparisons start at around 2:30. The upfront stuff is just an explanation of installation and audio that is repeated in the comparison. I think the quiet baffles take the "edge" off the sound for those of us not into louder pipes. For those that like loud, the stock baffles make a much better sound than the open pipes.

http://youtu.be/4ImxIDFnNDY

1 - 16 of 16 Posts