RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a ninja 650 as a first bike. I've only had it a few days but I have put a lot of hours in and I can already tell this bike is too small for me both in terms of power and knees being cramped.

A local dealership has a 2012 ninja thou non abs. Its green which is the color I like. I might be able to do a straight trade and not have to pay any on top. My bike is a 2017 ninja 650 krt abs.

Things I am hesitant on the 2012

no gear indicator
no abs

Thats really it.

I would love to have the traction control, abs, newer tuning, led headlights, and the gear indicator. But those aren't deal breakers.

Is it reeeeealy worth it to hold out for a newer thou or is it basically the same bike with tech upgrades through the generations? I'd love to get the 2012 thou, the lack of abs has thinking though.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've been riding for 48 years and only bought my first ABS kitted bike 2 years ago. It's ok, but I'm not a big fan. IMO you will learning better braking technique on a non ABS bike. Second thing, a gear indicator is probably nice, but once you become familiar with your bike, you will be able to feel what gear it is in.

If you want all the bells and whistles then hold out until you can afford what you want, and get some riding experience in in the mean time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ABS is nice but you will probably never need it; just be careful with the front brake if you are on loose stuff like gravel.
I love the gear indicator, but it is not necessary.
My recommendation, go for the newer bike, life is too short to live with a suboptimal bike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts