RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening everyone!

I am posting in hopes of finding an answer to why my tires are beginning to wear unevenly, I just noticed today and had thought that I had the pressure set for the tires correctly but now I fear that I may have been wrong, I really do and would appreciate any and all input in regards to this issue :)

The rear tire is the only tire showing uneven tread wear, that tire is (Not sure if these are the original tires or not, although the bike currently only has 4,000 miles on her)

Tire Spec: 160/60ZR 17 M/C (69W)
Tire Brand: Sportmax Road Smart II
Tire Pressure: 36.4 Pounds Per Square Inch
Bike Preload: I believe setting 5...or 4... :dunno:

It seems the back tire is beginning to wear with a straight flat line down the middle of it (see image) There are times when I ride both my wife and I on the bike but typically I just ride alone, I average a weight of about 180 pounds and usually only have a 10-15 pound backpack on as well. My main concern is trying to adjust whatever the issue may be in regards to the tire wearing unevenly...

Sad Tire :( by ehazell94

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
They are multitread tires so there is a chance they will wear like that since the center tread is meant to last longer than the sides. This example seems extreme though. There is a chance you are on twisty roads more than riding straight up and down? Considering how much tread is left on the edge though, maybe not. My understanding is that Dunlop's street and touring tires aren't that good but I do know their sport tires are.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I disagree. I think the rear is wearing that way because you DON'T ride on twisty roads......and seeing you are from New Jersey I can believe it. You are getting a flat spot in the middle because your bike is always straight up and down. Nothing much you can do about it and nothing to really worry about. What I would worry about is that the left side of the tire seems to have a lot of chain lube splatter or something on it. If you ever did lean it over on a left hand turn you might find that stuff slippery.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My first inclination was that also McRider but I wanted to be optimistic that he was having fun. Are you disagreeing with a question? :)

Anyway, a shot from the top straight down will show the tread wear better.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I disagree. I think the rear is wearing that way because you DON'T ride on twisty roads......and seeing you are from New Jersey I can believe it. You are getting a flat spot in the middle because your bike is always straight up and down. Nothing much you can do about it and nothing to really worry about. What I would worry about is that the left side of the tire seems to have a lot of chain lube splatter or something on it. If you ever did lean it over on a left hand turn you might find that stuff slippery.
Yep, what McRider said!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
So to fix this prob, need more lean.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hey it's not all flat and straight here! Ok, it mostly is.

I agree with both your findings. Too much vertical riding and appears to be WAY to much chain lube on the left side.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
It seems the back tire is beginning to wear with a straight flat line down the middle of it

You are fairly new at this bike riding stuff, right ??

That is perfectly typical of a tire on a bike that is ridden mostly in a straight line.
It comes on quicker and is more pronounced if the tire is a soft compound......designed for grip at the expense of tread life.

There is nothing wrong with riding it that way, until the tread in the middle is almost gone or until you can actually FEEL it drop over the ridge when you lean for a turn.

Your next set of tires probably should be ones designed more for mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What can I say, you guys are the best! I really appreciate all of the information so much!!! :) :) :)

As for the chain lube it seems as I am riding I have been hearing a good amount of chain noise, not like rattling its kind of almost like a rubbing noise from the chain, and it seems the lube is typically disbursed after a ride or two. I am going to be looking into whether the chain needs to be properly adjusted this weekend (Not gonna be able to ride due to thunderstorms and that hurricane that's passing by)

And the riding roads are actually a combination of both twists and straight roads, the majority being straight typically my daily commute is like 30 miles one way, most of which 25-27 miles consisting of straight away's, I will attempt to be more aggressive with my leans to see if I can try and bring back the smooth! lol (I was also planning on buying new tires by next season anyway, had just bought the bike back in May, so will be purchasing new tires)

Thanks for all the information!! Have a great 4th of July weekend :bud::alcy:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Trying to force yourself to lean more will only make you uncomfortable and increase the associated risk. Plus, the insignificant amount of time spent leaning will likely not help your tire anyway. Just keep riding the way you do now and start the research for a nice touring tire that won't break down like that as fast. And of course keep an eye on the tire. Increasing the tire pressure a pound or two may help a bit (someone else please confirm that's not bad advice)).

And yes it sounds like chain is out of spec

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Increasing the tire pressure a pound or two may help a bit (someone else please confirm that's not bad advice)).

And yes it sounds like chain is out of spec
Increasing the tire pressure will make matters worse not better.......and you should NOT reduce the pressure below the recommendation.

Chains are noisy. Probably something a new rider just needs to get used to but a good idea to get it checked out.

Lube on the back wheel and tire indicates WAY too much lube. It really doesn't need much. A little bit more often is much better.

·
Registered
985 Posts
That's pretty much what my rear tire looked like when it came time to replace it. I think I may have posted pics on here.

Rule of thumb - if you can hear your chain slapping around it's too loose.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Remember the rear tire is responsible for traction when pulling away from a stop or any other time you are excellerating. They also wear when you use your rear brake. Most of the time both of these actions are done while straight up and down. It is perfectly normal therefor to have most of your rear tire wear take place down the center of the tire. You just cannot ride on the side of your tires all the time. More air will just push the center of the tire further out, causing even more wear. Run your tires at the specified pressures and replace them when they are worn. If you want a longer wearing tire, you might consider a sport/touring tire. Most of us are not good enough riders to use or need a more sporting tire, and sport/touring tires are designed to last longer and provide good traction in all weather conditions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts