RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird electrical issue on my 03 z1000. I recently added LED rear turn signals, and number plate light, and everything worked perfectly for about 700 miles.
And then the instrument cluster LEFT turn signal started to flicker (as if bad connection) while riding the bike. I immediately pulled in the clutch, and it went away. Noticed, it flickers when engine is revved and there is vibration. Note, the signals work fine, but at revs, the LEFT front/rear/instrument indicator turn signal flickers.
I opened the rear end, and checked all connections, they are holding up fine, I soldered to make sure. I also opened the turn signal switch, and it is functioning fine. I took it out, and revved the engine to replicate the problem, thus eliminating the signal switch as the culprit.
I also opened the front end light wiring, and made sure all connections are fine.
One interesting thing I noticed though. There are 3 wires that go to the front left signal light (US wiring), so it has running lights.
One is ground, and the other two go to the bulb itself. When I took one of the wires that go to the bulb out, the running light goes out….BUT the instrument cluster left signal and rear turn signal comes on! That looks like the problem I have. So I made sure that connection was ok.
Put everything back together, go out about a ¼ mile, and the problem is still there. :2far:
Anyone good with electrical and can help point me the right direction or has had a similar issue?
I have the wiring diagram from the service manual, but it is not helping me much. :dunno:

I can provide more details, so please ask.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Im having a problem with my left turn signal. When I put the left turn signal on I get a rapid flashing and the front left turn signal blinks but the back does not.

I assumed it was the bulb so I removed and replaced the rear bulb. This did not fix the problem.

Is it possible/likely the flasher turn signal relay is bad? Would a bad flasher cause this problem?

Im not really sure where to look next.

The right turn signal works fine.

Thanks for any help/pointers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I have a very similar issue after installing the rizoma led front flashers. The left signal works perfectly 30% of the time. The other 70% it does not blink at all. The right flasher works perfectly. I hope someone can help me solve this issue!
Cheers,
Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Have you installed the flasher resistors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I believe I did there was a relay box that came with the flashers. I installed it along with them. I don't remember if I removed the OEM one though. I did not add any extra resistors along the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I believe I did there was a relay box that came with the flashers. I installed it along with them. I don't remember if I removed the OEM one though. I did not add any extra resistors along the way.
does anyone know how this was resolved? Very old thread but I’m having the same issues. Already have an LED blinker relay. Identical issues to the above described.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top