RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bike tuned Saturday and I'm glad I did. I have a 2010 Ninja 650R with a Yoshi Slip on and a Power Commander V (PCV). The only other thing done is the pair valves are blocked but that doesnt effect the readings, they temporary block it on the dyno to get accurate air\fuel reading anyway. So as you can see by the chart below my bike was running dangeriously lean, off the charts lean. Now I dont know if the PCV comes with a tune that mirrors stock but if it does people running this pipe may want to get there air\fuel checked out. Anyways here is the chart:

He used black twice so to read it properly the red and botton black line was the first untuned run and the blue and top black line is the tuned run.

Obviously the bike feels great in the midrange now thats it has the proper Air\fuel (gain of 18HP and TQ around 5-6k rpms and overall a gain of a little ove 3hp through the curve.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Hey man, I've been running this pipe and PCV w/ the two brothers map. Are you saying with the stock mapping, the bike will run better? Because they do offer a stock mapping, as well as jardine/two brothers slips on and muzzy/leo vince full systems. With the two brothers map my bike continues to backfire often, is yours near completely eliminated now? My PAIR valves aren't plugged btw.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm saying the opposite actually, I was using the mapping that the PCV came with which I believe is the stock map.

My bike hardly backfired with the pair valves plugged before I got the PCV. Now with the the PCV and tuning its pretty much non existent.

·
Banned
679 Posts
I'm saying the opposite actually, I was using the mapping that the PCV came with which I believe is the stock map.

My bike hardly backfired with the pair valves plugged before I got the PCV. Now with the the PCV and tuning its pretty much non existent.
Nice...What year is your 650R? Maybe I can get some sort of deal where they just upload your maps to mine for less than that 250 dollar price tag. If not, I'm probably going to take mine over there aswell...its about 30 minutes from me.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's awesome!

I'm not sure if my custom map from F.A.I.C is as good as a custom tune like you got - the bike runs awesome I know that (2009 + Yoshi, + PCV).. It used to have bogs and flat spots in the power delivery but now it pulls smooth and hard when I get on the throttle.. The only time the bike ever bogs is if I'm too low in rpm's in the higher gears - for instance if I'm going 40mph in 6th and wack the throttle there's a delay in power delivery until the rpm's get up around 6k, but that's not something you can fix by tuning, you need a bigger engine.. But in the lower 3 gears there's pretty much instant hard acceleration anywhere above 2k rpm on my bike - I have my buddies stock 2007 650r in the garage and his bike feels nothing like mine..

·
Banned
679 Posts
Omw to get the bike dynod right now...its all your fault lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is it legal for any of you guys to share your maps? Or, if it was legal, do you avoid sharing because of the money it cost? Could you sell your maps to regain some of the cost of tuning? I don't see a lot of people sharing PCV maps. There's a database here but it's basically empty.

The price seems prohibitive. First $300 for a power commander, then another $250 on top of that for a tuning, all for just a few horsepower improvement. (or more over a bad stock PCV map) Given the bike we're doing this to isn't very fast in the first place, it doesn't seem like well spent money.

I'm somewhat considering a PCV myself, but I keep talking myself out of it because I would have to pay for a tuning on top of that. And basically, it sounds like that's required. The stock PCV map looks like it was it was so lean it was on the verge of doing damage.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Good post ScorpioJim, I would already assume it would be leaner using the stock map and aftermarket pipe, that is the purpose of the PCV and the only way to add more fuel. I too have 100% no poping and have not pluged the pair, with PCV and Yoshi.

I have a custom map as well, should we make a place to post these up ? :dunno:

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm not sure about the legality/ethics of it, but I would be keen to try some other people's maps - can we just email each other the maps?

Lib'n - where did you get your map from?

My FAIC map has the bike running like a champ, but it still pops from time to time.. I wonder how a dyno-tuned map would feel compared to my FAIC custom map - ScorpionJim, wanna trade maps and do a comparo?

Zaph - to my mind the PCV/map is way more than just statistical hp increase - the dips and flat spots in the fuel delivery, as well as the throttle response, are fixed, which improves dramatically the character of the engine, and makes for a bike that responds and performs in a much "sportier" fashion.. My bike, with PCV, Yoshi, custom map, and sportbars 2.0 is like 10X more fun than the stock bike - my modded 2009 650r feels like a whole different bike than my buddy's stock 2007 650r..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Zaph - to my mind the PCV/map is way more than just statistical hp increase - the dips and flat spots in the fuel delivery, as well as the throttle response, are fixed, which improves dramatically the character of the engine, and makes for a bike that responds and performs in a much "sportier" fashion.. My bike, with PCV, Yoshi, custom map, and sportbars 2.0 is like 10X more fun than the stock bike - my modded 2009 650r feels like a whole different bike than my buddy's stock 2007 650r..
Yep, understood. But I do have to say that my bike, with no PCV plus a Yoshi can, does not really feel like it has a flat spot in the power delivery. There is definitely no distinct stutter or anything, it's a fairly smooth roll-on.

If anyone can send me a proven map for a stock system with a Yoshi can, I'll give the PCV a shot. (assuming it's not tuned for use in the mountains or with race gas or anything) PM me. If it works and feels much better, and if the sender paid to have it tuned, I'll donate some money towards the cause. If it doesn't feel like much improvement, I'll just take the PCV back out and put it on ebay, recovering as much of my funds as I can.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm not sure about the legality/ethics of it, but I would be keen to try some other people's maps - can we just email each other the maps?

Lib'n - where did you get your map from?

My FAIC map has the bike running like a champ, but it still pops from time to time.. I wonder how a dyno-tuned map would feel compared to my FAIC custom map - ScorpionJim, wanna trade maps and do a comparo?

I was the very first person to post on riderforum about F.A.I.C and the first to purchase a custom map from him. After how good it worked, others followed and gave it a try. Bioteq was the second person to purchase a map from here.

We sent each other our maps to compare to see it they were the same map he had sent to both of us, even though we told him different parts/mods. They were different from each other. He has an actual a/f gauge on his bike and can see it all the time while riding, and said it is in the safe range. As far as how it's running, the world of difference compared to stock map.

legality shmagilty , I dont care about that, I know Jeffo said "copyrighted, bla, bla", But could care less. Don't see how he could do that or any other dyno shop for that matter. I know most people don't post them up because we actually paid $$ for them, and I didn't pay $$ just for every schmuck on the internet to use it.

However, by now it seems many here have custom maps. I would be more than happy to post mine up if others did as well. Would be better though if this was exclusively for "riderforums" members only.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont mind posting mine up at all. I will have to pull it from the bike tonight.

Zaph, me and the Tuner were laughing because when he asked me how my bike was running before the tune I said it ran fine (which I thought it did) and after the first run he looked at me and said are you sure? lol. After the tune it was a night and day difference.

As long as people know this tune was done for my bike running on Connecticut gas (up to 10% Ethanol). If somebody wants to try my tune on there bike they are more than welcome...but honestly without a dyno and wideband 02 you wont know if theres a difference or not.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I dont mind posting mine up at all. I will have to pull it from the bike tonight.

Zaph, me and the Tuner were laughing because when he asked me how my bike was running before the tune I said it ran fine (which I thought it did) and after the first run he looked at me and said are you sure? lol. After the tune it was a night and day difference.

As long as people know this tune was done for my bike running on Connecticut gas (up to 10% Ethanol). If somebody wants to try my tune on there bike they are more than welcome...but honestly without a dyno and wideband 02 you wont know if theres a difference or not.
I would be interested to see yours compared to this F.A.I.C map. Do you think the best way of posting these might be just to copy from the dynojet program and past in a post here? That way you dont have to compress and unzip the files, me and bioteq had that problem at first, might be hard for others to figure it out ?

Example: go to Dynojet program and when viewing the map on table, right click "select all" add all the cells (top left to bottom right) and paste in a thread/post here. This is the stock map for a reference to see what I'm talking about

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 2 8 7 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 2 -6 -10 -5 -2 0 0 0 0
0 9 -1 -3 -3 -2 0 0 0 0
0 2 3 -2 -5 -7 0 -15 -15 -6
0 7 0 0 -5 -10 -10 -15 -10 -9
0 11 8 8 2 0 5 -12 -10 -4
0 12 13 11 7 4 1 -9 -7 -13
0 0 21 18 15 11 -2 -8 -7 -1
0 0 21 15 12 8 1 -12 -10 -13
0 0 18 13 9 3 -4 -14 -12 -21
0 0 9 9 7 4 -7 -14 -12 -12
0 0 17 4 4 3 -6 -15 -12 -9
0 0 13 9 6 4 -3 -16 -13 -16
0 0 9 4 2 0 -4 -18 -14 -17
0 0 0 8 3 -2 -11 -23 -19 -23
0 0 0 7 4 -1 -12 -26 -21 -26
0 0 0 6 3 0 -13 -25 -22 -26
0 0 0 7 4 0 -13 -24 -21 -22
0 0 0 6 4 1 -10 -22 -16 -20
0 0 0 6 5 2 -10 -20 -15 -17
0 0 0 2 2 2 -8 -16 -12 -19
0 0 0 2 4 5 -4 -13 -6 -15
0 0 0 1 2 4 -6 -11 -4 -10
0 0 0 0 1 2 -7 -11 -5 -9
0 0 0 0 0 0 -8 -12 -5 -11
0 0 0 0 0 2 -7 -10 -5 -10
0 0 0 0 0 1 -5 -9 -3 -9
0 0 0 0 0 4 -5 -9 -2 -8
0 0 0 0 0 1 -3 -7 -2 -3
0 0 0 0 0 -1 -2 -7 0 -7
0 0 0 0 0 -4 -2 -9 -2 -6
0 0 0 0 0 0 -6 -9 -2 -7
0 0 0 0 0 0 -7 -12 -2 -7
0 0 0 0 0 0 -7 -14 -5 -10
0 0 0 0 0 0 -9 -17 -8 -11
0 0 0 0 0 0 -12 -19 -10 -13
0 0 0 0 0 0 -13 -21 -13 -19
0 0 0 0 0 0 -18 -26 -17 -21
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Then just copy from here and paste on your dynojet software. I think this would be the easiest way for people to do this and compare maps, what do you think?

·
Registered
177 Posts

I'd like to give that a try, thanks for the offer, Jim. I'll get a PCV on order today. Who knows, it may blow my mind and I currently don't know what I'm missing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd like to give that a try, thanks for the offer, Jim. I'll get a PCV on order today. Who knows, it may blow my mind and I currently don't know what I'm missing.

Sounds like you are trying to have us "talk you into it" or something? No, it will not "blow your mind" or be so crazy of a performance gain you will get blown away. It get's your bike running correct by changing the A/F% to compensate for a pipe, headers, ect.

You say it's running fine right now, then just ride it, you don't notice anything. ScorpioJim already said his felt like it was running fine as far as he could tell before the tune , but could see that it was lean. So looking into the magic 8 ball, you are running lean...

·
Banned
679 Posts
Just brought my bike to that guy today. My original test showed that my bike was running mediocre as opposed to scorpiojims dangerous lean. I was a little rich in the low rpm's, good around my power band, and a little lean in my high end. I did not have him custom map my bike as a result of the tests. What I did do is bring the bike home and hook the laptop up to change the numbers based on what he showed me. For 75 dollars I felt the test was informative and gave me the peace of mind I was looking for. If anyone in the area is looking for a dyno test or in need of a custom map, I would recommend this guy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to have us "talk you into it" or something? No, it will not "blow your mind" or be so crazy of a performance gain you will get blown away. It get's your bike running correct by changing the A/F% to compensate for a pipe, headers, ect.

You say it's running fine right now, then just ride it, you don't notice anything. ScorpioJim already said his felt like it was running fine as far as he could tell before the tune , but could see that it was lean. So looking into the magic 8 ball, you are running lean...
Hmmm, I just don't know what to expect. This is the first fuel injected bike I've owned, and I've never installed a power commander. I've been blown away by jet kits on carbureted bikes, if that helps gauge expectations of my blown-awayedness.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ok after reading all this.. damn maybe i should do something like this as well.... but it totally has me confused ...and maybe this is a totally noob question but im going to ask it anyway.
Why cant you just upload a new map to your ecu without using a PCV?

·
Banned
679 Posts
ok after reading all this.. damn maybe i should do something like this as well.... but it totally has me confused ...and maybe this is a totally noob question but im going to ask it anyway.
I'm not sure but PCV doesn't even offer a map for the yosh.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because as far as I know nobody has the device that can do that. I know what you are talking about as my car is tuned with LS1Edit and I can overwrite the ECU directly. I dont think anybody made anything like that for bikes or just doesnt want to try.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts