RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting a tune-up done on my ZR-7S. Just wanted to know what I should be asking the mechanic that needs to be done. I can do the basics like changing oil, spark plugs, and chain adjustments.

But I just wanted to know what a good tune-up job should consist of? I'd like to know basically what parts and labor I would be paying for and an average price for the work performed. I don't want to go someplace and pay 500 dollars and all they did was change the air filter or something. Will they change gaskets, adjust valves, sync carbs? What should I expect?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
I am going to be getting a tune-up done on my ZR-7S.
An actual tuneup these days is basically changing the plugs, checking the air filter and putting some cleaner in the gas; fuel filter if it has one.

If the valves are due, that's more than many riders want to tackle but it sounds like you can do all the rest yourself.

Carbs almost never need to be sync'ed unless they have been taken apart but it should be like a half hour job for a shop with the right tools.

And above all......If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. :swink:

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
How many miles on the bike? A tuneup for me is whatever the bike requires given the mileage. That can include new chain and sprockets, carb cleaning, valve check and carb sync, lube swingarm, wheel and steering head bearings...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just hit about 36k miles on it. I bought it with 31k on it last year. Runs great, no issues, but don't know for sure what should or should not be done on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts