RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first time posting and first time rebuilding a motorcycle. I have experience with cars, but I'm needing some help diagnosing and deciding how to move forward on this new project.

About the bike
It's an 06 Ninja 650r with about 1800 miles on the clock. Sat mostly outside with the last 4 to 5 years left with the fairings off, tank open and unbolted, and air box semi disassembled. Not an ideal start, but the bike was free so 🤷‍♂️.
Worst case, I just spend time and money on a self taught class where I don't know what I'm going to learn 👍

I figured if the intake was left open like that I need to check it out before anything. Took off the rest of the air box and throttle body and saw there's dirt and w/e else just sitting on the tops of the intake valves. I'd assume I'm looking at taking the head and the cylinder off at the least to see if there scoring or damage to the internals?

Then there's the suspension, feul system, etc. that probably need work too. In the interest of not writing a book, we'll just take it one at a time!

Is this work worth the time/money fixing it considering these bikes aren't the most expensive? Any other suggestions for how to proceed that wouldn't be as invasive?

Thanks!
BT

·
Registered
352 Posts
You can try shifting the crank enough to get a bore scope inside to take a look. If your lucky all the valves were closed but I doubt that’s possible. I’d try and shop Vac the debris out and spray oil to lube up the bores prior to trying to start. If your lucky she’ll go...

If not and If you’ve rebuilt engines before then this might be something you can diy. If not a second, known good engine might be easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know.. I'm probably going to do exactly that! I appreciate the advice, thanks.
If it is kaput and I can get my hands on a good motor before I can get a rebuild kit I'll just do that.

You can try shifting the crank enough to get a bore scope inside to take a look. If your lucky all the valves were closed but I doubt that’s possible. I’d try and shop Vac the debris out and spray oil to lube up the bores prior to trying to start. If your lucky she’ll go...

If not and If you’ve rebuilt engines before then this might be something you can diy. If not a second, known good engine might be easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. Got the bore scope in there, cylinder walls didn't look bad. I rebuilt fuel pump, got a new tank, new battery, changed the oil and took out the plugs to get all the fluids running through the system for a test. Turns over just fine apart from a possible bad connection for the ignition. Plugged the plugs back in and went for a test fire. It turns over but no start. Not surprised i'm finding electrical issues too.

The subthrottle sensor (part with butterfly valves on top of the throttle body?) actuates rapidly, about 10 to 20 times maybe, while the fuel pump primes before it stops. Solid FI light when key is on and the FI light blinks while it's turning over but never starts. I have a new down sensor on the way, not sure that it will fix much, but I'll try that next before taking stuff apart again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Down sensor is on and the blinking stopped so that's all good now. Still not starting though.
Went to read a possible code and got code 62 which is a fault in the subthrottle valve actuator. When turning It over it went from sounding like consistent rapid clicks (which should be what I hear I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong) to a lower pitched sound like an actuator is bad maybe.

So I'm thinking I need a new TB, they're pretty inexpensive.

One issue down, who knows how many more to go 👍 one day at a time 😁

1 - 8 of 8 Posts