RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this post helps people who are having trouble finding a good price on full coverage insurance for the Ninja 1000.

I just purchased my Ninja 1000 a few days ago and was shocked when I started obtaining quotes for full coverage insurance. :sweat:

My auto policy is with Geico, so they were the first company I called. Super nice people, but their quote was $1,200 for a year.

I am 40 and have a perfect driving record, plus they gave me a discount. The quote included the following:

BI=25/50
PD=25
Medical Payments=No
Uninsured Motorist BI=25/50
Uninsured Motorist PD=25
Comprehensive=$1,000 deductible
Collision=$1,000 deductible
Towing & Labor=Yes

As I called many others such as State Farm, Dairyland, Progressive, Nation Wide, Allstate, etc. I did indeed discover that it was due to the Kawasaki designation of "ZX1000G." Heck, Liberty Mutual would not even write a policy for a "ZX" series motorcycle for my state. We all know that the Ninja 1000 is basically a Z1000 with a fairing. However, as much as I love Kawasaki, it was a huge mistake and they really hurt the average consumer of these motorcycles by giving it a "ZX" designation. Now if my Ninja 1000 had a top speed of a ZX10R or a ZX14R, I would expect a high premium.

Finally, I read somewhere in these forums to try "American Modern."

WOW! This company was a life saver. I was actually about to consider selling my Ninja that I LOVE and replacing it with a Z1000 just because of premiums.

American Modern actually has an online quote system you can use and after entering the data, I was very pleased to see $723 a year. Not only that, but they offered some great coverage that no one else could touch.

BI=25/50
PD=25
Medical Payments=Yes
Uninsured Motorist BI=25/50
Uninsured Motorist PD=25
Comprehensive=$1,000 deductible
Collision=$1,000 deductible
Towing & Labor=No
Accessory Coverage=Yes ($3000 limit)
Safety Apparel=Yes ($1000 limit)
Rental Reimbursement=Option (I opted out)

As you can see, some really great coverage, so if you are having troubles, give them a try. They may not work for you, but they saved me from having to sell the best bike I've ever owned.

Now, for my rant and warning!! Stay away from Allstate!!! I am going to copy the text of my online chat session and let you guys formulate your own opinion, but as for me, I'll never consider Allstate.

Welcome to Allstate where you're in good hands! Please wait while we connect you to the next available agent...
Hi, this is *****. How may I help you?
Customer: Motorcycle Insurance quote please!
*****: Please allow me to get your 1st and last name, date of birth, Address where the policy is needed, e-mail address, telephone number, marital status, year make and model of the motorcycle
Customer: Michael C. Ellison
Customer: DOB ####
Customer: Address: #######
*****: Marital status and a contact number for your phone please.
Customer: Single and ###-###-####
Customer: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Customer: The actual manufacturers designation is ZX1000G
*****: Do you already own the motorcycle?
Customer: I bought it already
*****: Thank You, Do you have insurance on it right now?
Customer: No, just bought it.
*****: Congratulations!!!
Customer: What did I win?
Customer: ha
*****: Thank You, Is it for normal highway use?
Customer: Yes, mainly to and from work.
*****: Thank You, Do you need collision and comprehensive coverage.
Customer: Yes please.
*****: I need your e-mail address please.
Customer: xxxxxxxxxxx
*****: I just e-mailed you the quote with $1000 deductibles.
*****: I can offer you the policy for $55 a month, $670 for the year.
Customer: Ill take it!!
Customer: Wait, how much does it change with a $500 deductible?
*****: I need your drivers license number please. Do you have a motorcycle endorsement.
Customer: Yes
*****: With a $500 deductible I can offer you the policy for $68 a month, $824 for the year.
Customer: DL# xxxxxxxxxxxx
Customer: Lets do the $500 deductible.
*****: I need the VIN for the motorcycle please.
Customer: Vin#: xxxZXxxxxxxxxxxxx
Customer: I guess the "https" is encrypting some of the numbers I send, because some of them are being blocked out with "#" signs. You can see everything, right?
*****: Have you taken a accident prevention course.
*****: of Safety Course.
Customer: No
*****: I am e-mailing you the final rates now.
Customer: ok (Then I get the e-mail :2far:)
Customer: Ok, wait a second, bait and switch?
*****: I can offer you the policy for $189 a month $2275 for the year.
Customer: The first quote was for $671 a year
*****: The type of bike changed when I put in the VIN.
Customer: Then you may be quoting the Ninja ZX10 it is a super sport bike. This one is a sport, but carries the designation of zx
*****: With the VIN those are the rates that we have available.
Customer: Ok, so you are allowed to just send out quotes and then change them by over $1600 a year. Thats horrible customer service.
*****: We do everything we need to do to establish your final rate.
*****: One moment
*****: There may have been a system issue, I see a $712 policy available.
*****: I am working for you.
*****: Let me process the application,
*****: The VIN says it is a sport model
*****: I cannot get it approved as a touring bike.
Customer: It is a sport model, but it is not the same as the ZX series which are super sport
*****: Is that the VIN off of the bike.
Customer: Yes, I have read about this issue with other companies as well, just because of the designation Kawasaki gave it
Customer: So what about the $712 policy?
*****: I cannot get it approved.
Customer: The $712one?
*****: correct.
Customer: Well, then no thank you, I'll just go with Geico's quote of $1,046 a year for the same exact coverage. However, I came in to this with a good sense of humor and was looking forward to a competitive rate with Geico, but now I am just a displeased customer that will sure advise everyone I know against even trying Allstate.
Customer: It's like you dangled a great rate in front of me then it kept changing.
*****: I apologize for the convenience. :)rolleyes: the "convenience" ha, you mean "inconvenience")
Customer: It's ok, I copied the text from our chat and will post it on every motorcycle forum I can find. Nothing against you personally, but your company really needs to look at its quoting process.
*****: I will be disconnecting at this time. :)soap: You better disconnect, before I Caps Lock your %@$#)
Your chat has ended. Thank you for speaking with us.
Thank you for chatting with Allstate. We value your feedback. Please click here to answer a few questions about your chat experience.

Oh? A survey, hmmmmm.... :kick:

Anyway, I hope the useful information in this post helps at least someone. Be safe everyone and keep the throttle twisted.

Casey

1.JPG

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Casey, I had the same experience and basically the same conversation with the mentioned companies. Geico finished working me over by tellign me to check back "next year" as they were goign to start being "more competitive" in pricing for Utah. Thanks????

I too ended up with American Modern for 1/5 the cost of Geico.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I have GEICO and the price for me in is in line with what you got from American Modern. Every part of the country is different. But you are correct about the Ninja rates not making sense. Insurance on it is the same as for a Ducati Panigale.....don't ask how I know :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Damn, you guys are getting screwed. State Farm for me. $523 a year full coverage 100k/50k/100k. With multi vehicle discount.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had my Versys insured with GEICO. I cancelled that policy when I sold the Versys and when I bought my Ninja 1000 they reinstated the policy then did a vehicle change. My premium didn't really go up much. Very happy with GEICO. Have my car and home with them too, so I get multi discounts.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I think its like Jim said when he mentioned the rates being different in each area. American Modern ended up being 433.00/year, btu dropped 25% two weeks later due to a ticket dropping off my record.

I do wish Kawasaki would have changed the vin (and no Ninja) more to offer a chance at better rates. My Concours 14 is 233.00 per year with Progressive. It sounds dirt cheap, but not so cheap considering Utah's riding season is so short.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm happy to hear AMIG (American Modern insurance Group) was able to step up for you. I have my policy with the same company. My Aprilia is with Geico, and I rank them as next best. I've had no problems dealing with either of them. Your Allstate experience parallels my Progressive experience. I got an online quote from Progressive, using brand and model. I bought the bike. I went back online to enter the VIN and pay - the rate tripled to some crazy figure. OTOH, when we had our Ninja 250, Progressive was least expensive.

My lesson learned is ALWAYS use a VIN when quoting insurance. You can get a VIN to plug in for quoting purposes by either writing one down at a dealer showroom or Googling, e.g. Google "ninja 1000 VIN". That will find for sale ads with a VIN listed.

Kawasaki USA deserves a big kick in the *** for VIN coding the Ninja 1000 as a ZX10. And you really have to ask how can they be unaware of this (it must cost sales), and why have they not fixed it?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I think its like Jim said when he mentioned the rates being different in each area. American Modern ended up being 433.00/year, btu dropped 25% two weeks later due to a ticket dropping off my record.

I do wish Kawasaki would have changed the vin (and no Ninja) more to offer a chance at better rates. My Concours 14 is 233.00 per year with Progressive. It sounds dirt cheap, but not so cheap considering Utah's riding season is so short.
The funny thing is that the Ninja 1000 insurance seems high to me, but it seems like a bargain for a Panigale. BTW, still have not bought one......still thinking about it......

·
Registered
740 Posts
What Bob said. The fact is kawasaki screwed us and the ins co's don't care. Everyone needs to communicate this to Kaw and tell them we'll vote with our dollars in the future, which I have done. It's ridiculous they used a ZX vin when the Z1K only uses the Z.

Not enough business for the ins co's to even think about. Most of them don't even want to insure anything but a hardley garage queen that they only have to worry about being stolen. That said mine is only $400 annually with SF, but because I have my house and everything else with them. Would be over $1000 for nothing but the bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Insurance premiums are determined by a number of things. None of which is the VIN on name the manufacturer gives the bike. It is all about loss.

How much do parts cost?
How much is labor?
How often is it stolen?
Who is the target demographic?
Etc...

You could call a bike, "The Fast as Hell 1000" and if only 65yo men who never crash them buy them and the parts are dirt cheap, then the premiums will be low. The C14 has lower premiums because you won't see a lot of 21yo guys buying them and wrapping them around a tree.

While insurance premiums are based in part on the operator, the risk has to be spread across the pool. So if the primary demographic for a bike is the 18-25 group, then someone 50yo buying one is going to have high premiums to pay for the 18yo that wads one up.

Insurance premiums are also based on the level of risk an insurance company wants. If their leadership believes that motorcycles are causing too much loss, then they will rate up the entire category to drive business away.

I know there are those of you here who believe the Ninja 1000 is not a fast bike, but I've owned a number of motorcycles over the years and the N1K is damn fast. Maybe not in compared to a ZX-10 or S1000, but it accelerates like crazy and that rapid power application can get an experienced rider in trouble very quickly.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Chadhargis, I agree with what you said, but based on what Jim mentioned earlier about the Panigale costing the same to insure as our Ninja 1000, wtf??? Ducati parts , especially for that bike, have to cost more. How can they get an accurate risk assessment when the bike is brand new? Do you think they ever go back and re price a specific bike if their assessment is way off?

Blaming Kawasaki sounds reasonable, but the vin is different than a zx10r. Also, if the insurance industry is going to all the effort of studying the bikes, class, rider demographics, etc they woudl soon figure out the Ninja 1000 is different than a 10r. The whole thing sounds like a mistake that went in favor of the Insurance companies....go figure.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
It may not be the VIN that is the problem, but the model number that it returns... both the Ninja 1000 and the ZX10r are model ZX1000 (ZX1000GCF and ZX1000KCF respectively), while the Z1000 is a ZR1000DCF - the "C" representing the 2012 models in this example. So if the insurance companies are basing their rates on the demographics of the ZX1000 model, then that would explain the higher rates - if they don't account for the difference between a "G" model and a "K" model that is.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Tell the insurance it is a SX1000 GBF. This is the correct designation for the Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tell the insurance it is a SX1000 GBF. This is the correct designation for the Ninja 1000.
A quote based on a model number you provide to an insurance company is not reliable. The only reliable quote is the one you get when the insurance company decodes the VIN and uses that to produce a quote. Don't risk an unwanted surprise; quote using a VIN!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I ended up with full coverage and a 500 dollar deductible for 130 bucks every six months.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
A quote based on a model number you provide to an insurance company is not reliable. The only reliable quote that is the one you get when the insurance company decodes the VIN and uses that to produce a quote. Don't risk an unwanted surprise; quote using a VIN!
I ended up with full coverage and a 500 dollar deductible for 130 bucks every six months.
You sir, just won the Insurance Lottery... and there is no SX1000GBF - try to order OEM parts and you will find it is listed as a ZX1000G everywhere.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I dont think I'd be comfortable giving an insurance company anything but the 100% truth when it comes to writing a policy. I feel like an incorrect model number, or letters, will give them a perfect way to get out of paying a claim.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I dont think I'd be comfortable giving an insurance company anything but the 100% truth when it comes to writing a policy. I feel like an incorrect model number, or letters, will give them a perfect way to get out of paying a claim.
That is absolutely correct.

·
Registered
571 Posts

Hold on guys........I gave that info to the insurance on good faith as it was given to me from another source. I would never lie to anyone about anything........period!
Please do not insinuate that I lied to my insurance provider.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts