RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used these? I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going with when I get to my forks this spring. They seem to be a better option than the Race Tech cartridge emulators.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, not cheap though
What are you doing for the rear?
I'm not sure about the rear, I'll have to ride it and see how I feel about it.
Yes, the ar25 isn't cheap at $399 but that comes with the proper springs and the new damper rod.
With the racetech GVE plus springs alone your looking at about $300.

I'll have to add the cost of new seals, wipers and oil. Which I was going to do anyway.
You talk to Traxxion over the phone and they set up your valves, with real shims and proper weight fluid, for your riding style. So there's no fiddling around after the install. One and done.
I feel it's worth the extra cost for expert set-up. I'd hate to rebuild the forks only to have to open them up again and fish out the GVE just to turn the nut and hope its right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just installed the AR-25 in the forks. It fits like it was born there though you don't reuse the hydraulic stop.
They are beautifully made cnc damper rods with a real cartridge shim stack installed. Compared to the rather crude RaceTech pop-off valve, I think the Traxxion kit is a no-brainer. It's $100 more than the RaceTech kit but it comes with the Traxxion damper rods. The TaceTech requires you modify the factory rods. And when you see how wimpy the factory rod is you wouldn't feel comfortable drilling larger and more holes in it.
Of course it will be several months before I ride so I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
It'll ride like an AR-25 lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sooner or later I'll have to inspect the shock. It's covered in grime and I'm scared to look closely, LOL. Hopefully it's not leaking.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
There is a mod some have done swapping in an older model zx6f (I forget the exact year - it's in the forum somewhere) shock with a resevoir.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I was planning to look into a shock swap. I had checked the tips and tricks page you sent me but there was nothing. I'll check the site and keep an eye out.
Right now I'm cleaning my wheels and mounting my tires. That'll allow me to get the brakes back in order.
Then the carbs.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Here's a start of one thread Just bought a zx-6 shock for my zr-7
Interloper has moved back to Asia so he may not respond. Haven't seen him in a long time here.

Looks like it's a 1999 ZX6R shock you want, with the separate reservoir on a hose

NOT the attached one.

It's not a direct swap from what I remember reading and adds about 30-30mm of rear height. As that will change the way the bike sits it may also mess with the new fork setup so perhaps a rebuild or an OEM drop in may be a better fit. The zx6r swap is one of those "on the cheap" mods anyway vs buying a proper build aftermarket suspension.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to inspect my shock after the tires and brakes are squared away and carbs rebuilt. If it's not leaking and rides ok I'll deal with it next winter. It's been in the 20'sF, which takes away my excitement to go out to the shed.
I was distracted today buying a new power amplifier for my stereo only to find out that I have a defective speaker (which probably fried my old amp).

So I have my downstairs kitchen filled up with motorcycle parts now migrating to the middle room as well and the downstairs front room with a disassembled speaker.
There's just parts of things everywhere. 🙃

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
There's just parts of things everywhere. 🙃
That's only a problem if someone moves something on you!

I'm waiting for warmer weather as well to clean the carbs on the 7S. It saw almost no action last year between the virus lockdowns and my buying the Honda in 2019 and wanting to get the feel for it last year (again when there was ability to ride.)

In my opinion the stock rear shock is a decent enough choice for the bike. If I had to put money on it vs the front suspension, the front would always win. If it's not leaking, clean it up and perhaps adjust the preload and rebound - and give all the linkage a good greasing. There are a number of grease nipples on the upper and lower assemblies (as I recall) that you should grease thoroughly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rear spring is stiffer than the front, from what I'm reading so I may be ok with it. I still have plenty to do til then. The main thing is the wait for the parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts