RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I dropped my bike at the dealer ship after the following happened.

I was riding in second gear when there was a low grinding sound which came from directly beneath me. The engine sound of the bike dropped in pitch to a very low tone and my RPMs began to fall off even though I maintained the same speed. Visually, I could see nothing wrong with the bike, though there was a metallic burning smell (the kind you would get from metal on metal friction) coming from the exhaust.

When I started the bike back up, the RPMs climbed sluggishly and the bike transferred power to the back wheel very slowly, almost unwillingly: I had to hold the throttle open when at rest to make sure I had enough time to get going.

I'm honestly not sure what happened to the bike: it shifts perfectly fine, all the way up and all the way down, yet there seems to be a problem with the transferring of power to the back wheel. If it helps, it's been three weeks since my 12000 mile maintenence.

So, what do you guys think? Transmission? Engine? Something else?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By dropped, I meant left it there to be looked at in the morning, not "dropped".

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll take clutch/trans problems for $500 Alex. :glassesti
Could be a loose nut on the seat also. :killingme

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'll guess piston ring.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh. both of those sound like nasty things. I'll let you all know what it was in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That might be a clutch problem. It definetly is a tranny problem. RPMs dropped and Im assuming it were as if it were in a high gear like 5th? I got a similar problem. Mine makes a clunking noise with the location coming up front but down low. The noise though only happens when taking off from a stopped position and acceleration doesnt matter. I only work on cars but looking at the two as internal combustion engines with transmissions to transfer the power to the wheels and connecting the dots...hopefully for both of us its just a clutch

·
Registered
366 Posts
and my RPMs began to fall off even though I maintained the same speed.
HUH?

Timing Rotor?

Please let us know what the problem turns out to be.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Huh. both of those sound like nasty things. I'll let you all know what it was in the next couple of days.
:poke:

We're all impatient. I've got money ridin' on this.

·
Registered
217 Posts
though there was a metallic burning smell (the kind you would get from metal on metal friction) coming from the exhaust.
I've been waiting and watching for a update on this one too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mechanic has been swamped with bikes, so I haven't gotten anything concrete but the going assumption was that I dropped a valve into the cylinder after a bad shift. Won't know for sure till late tomorrow, or Monday.

Anyone do something similar?

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you dropped a valve, it would have been alot more chaotic and nasty sounding than what you're describing. My timing chain took a sh1t on me while I was on the highway at 90 mph, and it was baaaaad. Sounded like an explosion, black smoke followed by white smoke everywhere. Metal pieces came out the exhaust, and when I removed the headers from the bike there were still large metal chunks living in there. While i did see the same reduction of speed while holding the throttle constant like you described, I was unable to shift - at all. Pulling in my clutch made no difference either. While I'm not going to make a prediction on what happened to yours, I will say you probably didn't drop a valve. Your bike wouldn't run at all, and if if did it would be VERY unhappy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay. I heard back from my mechanic: the pistons in one of my cylinders needs to be replaced, so do the valves in there. The crankshaft and everything else is okay, but the pistons are ****ered too. $2100 to fix it.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Okay. I heard back from my mechanic: the pistons in one of my cylinders needs to be replaced, so do the valves in there. The crankshaft and everything else is okay, but the pistons are ****ered too. $2100 to fix it.
Buy a used motor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Buy a used motor.
Where from? I checked e-bay and the only one that I found was almost $1000, which I cannot afford. I've been looking around online all day, and unless someone is hiding out somewhere with a used 650 motor for cheaper, I'm a little screwed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, it really sucks! But at least you and the rest of the bike is OK.

I got lucky when I blew my motor (as described above); once I finally got home I immediately hit up eBay and found an engine with 1967 miles on it....for $600 shipped. :Wow1::Wow1: The guy had bought a "wrecked" bike off some kid who didn't know how to ride (cosmetic damage), and stored it in his garage intending to use it as a project bike...but I guess his wifey put her foot down and made him get rid of it. His loss, my very lucky gain! Within an hour an a half of the death of the old, the new was on it's way. Just keep your eyes peeled, things pop up all the time.

Also try giving Gary a call. He's always been an unparalleled source of information and help for me, maybe he or his engine builder will have something available. 910-278-5454 :bud:

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw that one on e-bay, but the problem is that I don't have the money to pay for it right now. Which is what's killing me. Given that the whole motor is $1200, just about, factor in the labor to get it in the bike, we may be looking at about $1700 for the whole thing. Marginally better, but outside my price range due to graduate school and this ****ed economy.

The place I bought it from says they might subtract the cost of repairs from the value of the bike and put that toward the purchase of a new bike. It's not perfect, but it might work. There's also a pastor who might be interested. I won't know on either option for about a week so I've got time to keep hunting for a better motor.

Thanks for all your advice here, though. Chances are, if I get the cash for trade or from the pastor, I'll put it down on a new 250.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts